Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

SyLvEsTeR20007

Mar 12, 2007
Jena
I am in for €40

OFFICIAL SONY XPERIA XZ PREMIUM ROOT & DRM BACKUP/RESTORE BOUNTY

pf11-slideshow-01-ad8da6f51452d348e6a728cbe42758f0.png

Thanks for visiting the thread. Root bounties have been incredibly successful in creating traction from community members towards finding root methods in many brands of phones in the past.

What is a 'root & DRM bounty?'

A root bounty is a sum of money that people pledge to donate to any person who can find a way to root a specific device and firmware. Currently our bounty differs a little because of the specific firmware format for Sony Xperia phones. When rooting the device the device's saved DRM keys are wiped. Amongst other issues this causes a loss of functionality to the device camera that renders it mostly useless. As such a lot of people are apprehensive in rooting the device until a DRM backup and restore method is achieved.

Can the XZP be rooted?

Currently yes it can, however this method does not allow the DRM keys to be saved and restored. People who have currently rooted their Xperia XZ Premium phones will probably never have a way to restore the original DRM keys. For those of us who have opted not to root our XZP phones yet, there is still the option of backing up the keys before they are wiped, and restoring them after the rooting process.

What do I need to do in order to qualify for the bounty amount?

You need to release a root method that allows the TA partition which contains sensitive information including the DRM keys, to be backed up and restored after the root process. Thus preserving the original Camera functionality. The first person who creates such a method will receive the bounty.

How much is the bounty?

See below.

Bounty total: $475

Leijonasisu - $100
charlatan01 - $50
the_brad - $25
karrouma - something
aquaboy11 - $20
chesterr - $20
arjun.arora - $20
预谋时间 - $20
ishemes - $50
serajr - $20
gauthamsv - $20
dazza9075 - $35
Corgism - $25
AJHutchinson - $35
iKlutz - $35​

I am in for €40.

Lets get it done.

Reactions: kuntiiiL

ameel

Nov 13, 2010
Happy to contribute $20 to the bounty. Can we have a tally of the total bounty please?

Also, is there a proper way to formally pledge the amount and have it locked in (like some sort of escrow)? I'm not too familiar with bounty pledges here.

sToRm//

Jun 24, 2017
Munich
I did a few patches on a few files and was able to manipulate the key status. But Sony did a good job... If I hack system files, the TZ drops and locks some functions (flashing system is needed then). I will do more research and will try to get that b*** cracked. There is a thread for devs and people with knowledge about Sony DRM and device security https://xdaforums.com/xz-premium/development/devs-xz-premium-drm-fix-solution-t3659940 Maybe there is somebody interested. I will post my experience, too.

Corgism

Aug 19, 2017
I'll do an unofficial tally of the bounty since OP has been away for a few days.

Last update was 475 USD.

Add:
10 GBP - Charos87
15 USD - will0n
40 EUR - SyLvEsTeR20007
15 USD - karrouma
10 EUR - ryanz999
35 USD - monsterjamp
20 USD - ameel

Latest tally is about 640 USD

Reactions: Charos87

YasuHamed

Dec 17, 2013
Making bootloader unlock allowed NO to YES is possible if you go to the sony oficial centre and reguest it, see explanation about whats going on http://sony.yt/topic/7680-bootloader-unlock-allowed-status-no-to-yes/

Edit:
Forgot something... You are the owner of the phone, you paid for the phone, and it is your right to ask to become the full owner of your phone, right? :)

Code:
You are the owner of the phone, you paid for the phone, and it is your right to ask to become the full owner of your phone, right? :)
i wish sony realizes that and send us TA.img file in email when we ask bootunlock key against imei number :(

Lirannl

Nov 19, 2012
Brisbane
That it irreversibly wipes the DRM keys.

We all know that the XZ Premium can be rooted, but you'll have some features permanently disabled.

karrouma

Jun 27, 2013
we know about the root, and how to root via kernel modifiyed.
all we need here is the DRM keys fix to have all xzp feature worked properly

---------- Post added at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 AM ----------

no green pictures when flash is on ?

Lirannl

Nov 19, 2012
Brisbane
Personally I need the DRM keys because I want to be able to restore my device to a state where I could make a warranty claim.

RJASSI21

Oct 20, 2013
Personally I need the DRM keys because I want to be able to restore my device to a state where I could make a warranty claim.

This is one of my reasons too. Mainly to restore features and get root. If all works then we may also attract some custom roms to this device aswell. Its not as simple as it used to be. We used to be able to get root on locked bootloader up until 64-bit Xperia's were released (Z4 and on...). Annoys me how difficult it is now but someone will crack it one day.

Reactions: kuntiiiL

Corgism

Aug 19, 2017
Honestly I think the current effort is way too narrow and limited since it's only in the XZ Premium section, and none of the readers of other XZ forums will visit.

What we need is a wider thread with a bounty for DRM backup/restore + root for any 2017 Xperia XZ (XZs, XZP, XZ1, XZ1 Compact). Can OP do this or any volunteers to do this?

This will get us more eyeballs and a larger cumulative bounty to move faster, as of now the bounty has been stuck at $725 with a high % of useless whining posts "Y SONY NO GIV US DRM ROOT".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am currently working on a DRM fix for XZP. With a little bit luck, I will get this done. But it's really hard to find a good way.
    OFFICIAL SONY XPERIA XZ PREMIUM ROOT & DRM BACKUP/RESTORE BOUNTY

pf11-slideshow-01-ad8da6f51452d348e6a728cbe42758f0.png

Thanks for visiting the thread. Root bounties have been incredibly successful in creating traction from community members towards finding root methods in many brands of phones in the past.

What is a 'root & DRM bounty?'

A root bounty is a sum of money that people pledge to donate to any person who can find a way to root a specific device and firmware. Currently our bounty differs a little because of the specific firmware format for Sony Xperia phones. When rooting the device the device's saved DRM keys are wiped. Amongst other issues this causes a loss of functionality to the device camera that renders it mostly useless. As such a lot of people are apprehensive in rooting the device until a DRM backup and restore method is achieved.

Can the XZP be rooted?

Currently yes it can, however this method does not allow the DRM keys to be saved and restored. People who have currently rooted their Xperia XZ Premium phones will probably never have a way to restore the original DRM keys. For those of us who have opted not to root our XZP phones yet, there is still the option of waiting until we can back up the keys before they are wiped, and then restore them after the rooting process.

What do I need to do in order to qualify for the bounty amount?

You need to release a root method that allows the TA partition which contains sensitive information including the DRM keys, to be backed up (before) and restored (after) the root process. Thus preserving the original Camera functionality. The first person who creates such a method will receive the bounty. Either this, or you come up with an entirely different way that still is confirmed to work.

How much is the bounty?

See below.

Bounty total: $695

misi444 - $100
    charlatan01 - $50
    unbaix - $50
    ishemes - $50
    SyLvEsTeR20007 - $40
    AJHutchinson - $35
    monsterjamp - $35
    iKlutz - $35
    dazza9075 - $35
    Corgism - $25
    the_brad - $25
    GeramanX - $20
    aquaboy11 - $20
    chesterr - $20
    arjun.arora - $20
    预谋时间 - $20
    karrouma - $20
    ameel - $20
    serajr - $20
    gauthamsv - $20
    bahkata - $20
    will0n - $15
    Charos87 - $10
    ryanz999 - $10

Updated: 03/10 @ 2pm EST
    I did a few patches on a few files and was able to manipulate the key status. But Sony did a good job... If I hack system files, the TZ drops and locks some functions (flashing system is needed then). I will do more research and will try to get that b*** cracked. There is a thread for devs and people with knowledge about Sony DRM and device security https://xdaforums.com/xz-premium/development/devs-xz-premium-drm-fix-solution-t3659940 Maybe there is somebody interested. I will post my experience, too.
    Making bootloader unlock allowed NO to YES is possible if you go to the sony oficial centre and reguest it, see explanation about whats going on http://sony.yt/topic/7680-bootloader-unlock-allowed-status-no-to-yes/

Edit:
    Forgot something... You are the owner of the phone, you paid for the phone, and it is your right to ask to become the full owner of your phone, right? :)
    whistles
    And with XZ1 coming loaded with 5th August patches, I guess we are quite done there too.

I've created an XZ1 + XZ1 Compact root/DRM bounty thread, and you might want to repost your info about the BT bug/potential exploit there.

I believe the XZ1/XZ1 Compact bounty will gain a lot more traction because there's a larger market for both models compared to the XZ Premium, they are new devices so more news coverage recently and more popularity means more potential bounty pledges!