FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Low light

975 posts
Thanks Meter: 996

By XDA_RealLifeReview, RealLifeReview Dude on 25th July 2017, 07:19 PM | Average Rating:
Post Reply Email Thread
15th August 2017, 09:18 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
With tripod in manual mode low light pictures are great. Without tripod you easily can get bad pictures in low light. But despite all the marketing hype trains: the pictures of S8 and U11 are also only mediocre. Sony should add OIS or EIS for stills. I also suspect their business with cameras and image sensors behind those disadvantages.

23rd August 2017, 09:27 PM |#12  
Flag Ålesund
Thanks Meter: 113

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jms.flynn

I don't find the low light quality that bad. Here is a couple of shots i took all hand held at a festival this weekend, it was a bit foggy but all the below are unedited.

Great shots. I too find the camera to be good in lowlight. A clean lens, tap to focus and steady hands do the trick.
25th August 2017, 09:38 AM |#13  
Flag Bytom, Poland
Thanks Meter: 430

More
Guys just use the shutter speed ctrl.
At 1/15 you can already control the handshake etc.
It's just the full auto which is messy, once you use the manual it's amazing.
5th September 2017, 03:37 PM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Can someone who know how to use well manual mode explain how to change settings in any night/low-light situation? A sort of mini-guide... At night I switch in manual mode and put ISO on 800 or 1600 and photos are better, but maybe there are better solutions in manual for a perfect shot. I think that xz premium camera is one of the best, but on low light automatic mode is not as good as has to.
11th September 2017, 12:25 AM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by obicco

Can someone who know how to use well manual mode explain how to change settings in any night/low-light situation? A sort of mini-guide... At night I switch in manual mode and put ISO on 800 or 1600 and photos are better, but maybe there are better solutions in manual for a perfect shot. I think that xz premium camera is one of the best, but on low light automatic mode is not as good as has to.

I should just preface this with the fact I don't have this phone yet, so I can't give perfect advice but I'll tell you what I know from experience.

Your goal should be to figure out the shortest shutter speed you can do and use that to set the ISO. The lower the ISO the better, but not too low that you can't get a sharp image because of the shutter speed.

The easiest way to find the slowest shutter speed is to find something with fine lines and take pictures of it, progressively decreasing the shutter speed until it becomes blurry. Probably start at 1/200 and see how you go. That number is then the slowest you can go. Then go a stop or two faster, which should make for a solid baseline shutter speed that you can use. By doing this, you get more flexibility in choosing a lower ISO and therefore get better image quality.

Your ISO choice will depends on the brightness and detail of the scene, the larger the number, the less detail and more artifacting you'll end up with. Try to keep it as low as you can get away with without going below your minimum shutter speed.

But yeah in general, experiment and see what you can get.

Edit: Just got the phone and found you can't choose both ISO and Shutter Speed. I've been shooting at 1/60 shutter speed pretty comfortably with decent results but your results may vary.
The Following User Says Thank You to LordVarkson For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift LordVarkson Ad-Free
15th September 2017, 09:16 AM |#16  

More
I dont understand the reason why we cant change ISO while we finally got shutter speed settings. Sometimes Sony makes stupid decisons...

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
15th September 2017, 11:56 AM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitrovic

I dont understand the reason why we cant change ISO while we finally got shutter speed settings. Sometimes Sony makes stupid decisons...

It seems that with the XZ1, in manual settings, in the control for Focus, SS, EV. They added ISO as well. So maybe we could also now control ISO and ss St the same time.
15th September 2017, 01:37 PM |#18  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazaros_K

It seems that with the XZ1, in manual settings, in the control for Focus, SS, EV. They added ISO as well. So maybe we could also now control ISO and ss St the same time.

Where u saw that? Like there is no manual camera deep review on internet atm. Can u provide source?

1st December 2017, 04:55 PM |#19  
Flag San Francisco
Thanks Meter: 865

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangtas_666

Very true,, i dont know why samsung uses sony's camera sensor but can get a very good low light shots.. And sony the maker of the camera cannot even match samsungs camera shot. I hope sony will look into this and give a software update to fix this issue.

Sent from my G8142 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

It is because of Sony's so called G lens. lot of pro cameras also use Sony sensors (e.g. Nikon). It's not just the sensor that give you great pictures. Sony needs to put a better lens in phones. you know what would be bonkers, putting a lens with an aperture of 1.4 or something. that will blow the competition out of the water.
4th December 2017, 04:07 PM |#20  
Flag Makassar
Thanks Meter: 16

More
I don't know this will raise the XZP's point for low light but its so great (at least for me)
Shoot with barely hand (seriously) and using manual mode. You can check the EXIF in here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	38832841811_2163272532_o.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	4352216  
27th January 2018, 06:30 PM |#21  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Given how it's hardware is weaker than the competition it does a very well in low light. Scenes are nicely exposed with usually low noise and the colours are actually a bit more vibrant than in real life. The biggest issue is the lack of OIS and the strong post processing which makes everything blurry when you zoom in.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)