[MOD] Change Default Resolution to 4k - No root needed!

Search This thread

EMJI79

to be honest I dont know if its real or not and honestly in my sight I dont see a difference...
"TECHNICALLY" there is a difference but using this ADB stuff gets 4k that is just as pleasing as real 4k not a bit less!
these apps support 4k as the resolution using ADB is emulated (upscaling the 1080 to 4k) and not REAL, again "TECHNICALLY".
so using these adb commands you should enjoy "fake" 4k but is just as eye pleasing as real 4k

and yes I spent long minutes comparing pictures in instagram in normal 1080 against ADB 4k and I did see a difference in every app in terms of text and content, and yes so in instagram the picture becomes more crisp, I assure you that

---------- Post added at 01:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 AM ----------

if he used ADB commands and run at 4k the app will show 4k, so if you are not running these adb commands it will show for you 1080p and his will show 4k.

Thanks and comparing to 2k on instagram or else? 4k setting is still better than 2k setting? My wonder is between buying a regular 2k smartphone and one of Sony's 4k one.
Apps may be made for 2k phones cause their are plenty of them but not for 4k.

Sent from my ASUS_X00QD using XDA Labs

Last edited:

madshark2009

Aug 18, 2012
Thanks and comparing to 2k on instagram or else? 4k setting is still better than 2k setting? My wonder is between buying a regular 2k smartphone and one of Sony's 4k one.
Apps may be made for 2k phones cause their are plenty of them but not for 4k.

well 4k is better I saw yes I did a comparison between 4k and 2k, again its upscaled not real, so you WILL see a crisper image.
Sony's devices that support 4k have uniqe pixel grids in their display pannel, so if you look closely at our device you can see the pixels, even though the screen is super crisp.
but if you buy lets say HTC u11 for example you will see a more "glued picture" so you wont see pixel grids which will look as good as a 4k display as some people have claimed but me personally, I dont care about the pixel grid (I do a little) but as long as the image is great I am ok with it.
also keep in mind that phones with 2k display will consume more battery, samsung, HTC if they are set to their max resolution, they will eat your battery, as for the Xperia XZP the battery life even in 4k mod is still pretty good so keep that in mind

Reactions: EMJI79

Blackghosthm

Dec 18, 2017
I think my app can bring real 4k to stock xz premium, I take this screen shots from untouched stock rom. From resinfo and cpuz.

EMJI79

well 4k is better I saw yes I did a comparison between 4k and 2k, again its upscaled not real, so you WILL see a crisper image.
Sony's devices that support 4k have uniqe pixel grids in their display pannel, so if you look closely at our device you can see the pixels, even though the screen is super crisp.
but if you buy lets say HTC u11 for example you will see a more "glued picture" so you wont see pixel grids which will look as good as a 4k display as some people have claimed but me personally, I dont care about the pixel grid (I do a little) but as long as the image is great I am ok with it.
also keep in mind that phones with 2k display will consume more battery, samsung, HTC if they are set to their max resolution, they will eat your battery, as for the Xperia XZP the battery life even in 4k mod is still pretty good so keep that in mind

For me it will be between the HTC U12 plus and the Sony XZ2 premium when I buy a new phone.

Yurashina

Apr 17, 2015
Hi,
My friend wanted to try the command, than it well worked but he wanted to go to 1400 dpi but he write 14000 DPI and adb is not longer recognize the phone.
How he can solving this problem?
Cheer.

simondd

Mar 15, 2014
Xiaomi Poco F3
So I buy z5 premium special for 4k vr 180 sbs movies. Phone is totally trash, even in vr. Big disappointed. Of course im using adb 4k mod and play only 4k 180 movie on vrtv app and screen quality is laugh. It can't be true 4K, some people said it's true 4K - open your eyes. Second Sony mobile - second huge disappointed, Never again Sony.

Last edited:

amanieux

Sep 14, 2016
check 4k with virtual monitor resolution

[/COLOR]
So I buy z5 premium special for 4k vr 180 sbs movies. Phone is totally trash, even in vr. Big disappointed. Of course im using adb 4k mod and play only 4k 180 movie on vrtv app and screen quality is laugh. It can't be true 4K, some people said it's true 4K - open your eyes. Second Sony mobile - second huge disappointed, Never again Sony.
check between 1080p and 4k you'll see a difference with that VR app https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9CdmpJtvGk , the problem we still have with android 9 is that the phone app crashes in 4k so you cannot answer the phone or make a phone call while in 4k. if someone has a solution please share.

amanieux

Sep 14, 2016
other way to get 4k than adb wm size in android 9 ?

the problem with adb wm size trick is that the default sony phone app crashes when in 4k, it was the case in android8 it is still the case with android9 so is there another android9 specific trick we can do to change the resolution to 4k other than adb wm size ( which some says only change the offscreen render resolution ot the UI and not the display resolution of the UI acting as a kind of supersampling which is better than nothing but still not the best). thanks.

SilverGamer_YT

Feb 26, 2016
Poitiers
the problem with adb wm size trick is that the default sony phone app crashes when in 4k, it was the case in android8 it is still the case with android9 so is there another android9 specific trick we can do to change the resolution to 4k other than adb wm size ( which some says only change the offscreen render resolution ot the UI and not the display resolution of the UI acting as a kind of supersampling which is better than nothing but still not the best). thanks.
No .

amanieux

Sep 14, 2016
thanks google dialer fixes the phone app crash in 4k , the remaining problem is that some VR apps are fine in 4k, but some are not displaying content correctly, is it unbelievable that sony still does not offer a way of officially switching to 4k after 3 phone versions (z5 premium, xz premium, xz2 premium) and after 5 android versions. hey sony engineers pull your fingers out of your b....

Last edited:

Miustone

Jul 23, 2012
Google Pixel 7 Pro
thanks google dialer fixes the phone app crash in 4k , the remaining problem is that some VR apps are fine in 4k, but some are not displaying content correctly, is it unbelievable that sony still does not offer a way of officially switching to 4k after 3 phone versions (z5 premium, xz premium, xz2 premium) and after 5 android versions. hey sony engineers pull your fingers out of your b....

I Just used the S9 from My Father and it has a Switch for 1440p, 1080p and 720p. Incredible that SONY can't or dont want to do the same with 4K. But maybe can someone find Out how Samsung did the Trick...

N.Y.Gazz

Feb 16, 2013
Brest
Xiaomi Poco F1
Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
I Just used the S9 from My Father and it has a Switch for 1440p, 1080p and 720p. Incredible that SONY can't or dont want to do the same with 4K. But maybe can someone find Out how Samsung did the Trick...
it would be beautiful to have this setting[emoji847]. maybe someone will work on this option with a custom rom.[emoji6]

Envoyé de mon G8142 en utilisant Tapatalk

kamalaggi

Feb 4, 2008
I've noticed that using this mod. Screenshots aren't full screen. See picture for example.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181125-033349.jpg
    Screenshot_20181125-033349.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 509

RedJHoN

Feb 11, 2015
You dont need adb to do this just go to developer option and search for minimal small width and put what you want for me 3k is enough 602 dpi

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

I thought xz premium was set to 4k permanently? That's what set it aside from the last one I thought. How do I root please? And what is adb and ofc?
You dont need root just changed it from developer options

N.Y.Gazz

Feb 16, 2013
Brest
Xiaomi Poco F1
Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
You dont need adb to do this just go to developer option and search for minimal small width and put what you want for me 3k is enough 602 dpi

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

You dont need root just changed it from developer options
Thank a lot but i don't have this option minimal width...

Envoyé de mon Xperia XZ (AOSP) en utilisant Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey there,

Daki from www.androidkosmos.de published a short article that the resolution can be changed to 4k by default (so Kudos to you man). As it's in German and not exactly step-by-step, I felt like posting a short how-to.

Step 1: Turn on Developer Options.

- Settings -> About -> Click 5x on Build-Number

Step 2: Allow USB debugging

- Settings -> Developer Options -> USB Debugging [X]

Step 3: Open ADB, (always without the " ofc!)

- Type "adb devices", click on "allow request" on your phone

Step 4: Change Resolution and DPI

- Type "adb shell"
    - Type "wm size 2160×3840"
    - Type "wm density 807 (after a little tinkering, I found 721 to be the best DPI. Yea, really, 721)"

There is no information so far as to how battery life is affected!

Back to default:

Repeat steps 1-3

Step 4: Change Resolution and DPI (back to default)

- Type "adb shell"
    - Type "wm size 1080×1920"
    - Type "wm density 403"

Best

IlluX
    Further to this, if you're a weirdo like me and want everything reset rather than a set value due to your own personal OCD, you can use "wm size reset && wm density reset" :good::fingers-crossed::silly:
    Possible solution

I have been experimenting with combinations of resolution/dpi, try 1890x3360 @ 720 dpi - phone app is stable, lock screen is slower on startup but fine on subsequent screen lock/un-locks (I assume the phone's software is not optimised for this resolution)

It seems that whatever you override the density setting to be using the adb when you go into the phone's Settings>Display>Display Size the built in range is from 408 to 720 max in increments of 80* even though it allows a custom value to be set. I think 720 may be some kind of limit that phone app is bugging out on.

1890x3360 is chosen as it is in 16:9 ratio and for a 5.46" screen comes in at 706 dpi which is just below the 720 dpi limit.

*The built-in values are:

408** - Small
    480 - Default
    560 - Large
    640 - Larger
    720 - Largest

As previously posted by another contributor I also found that UHD 1440x 2560 @640 also works well

** not sure why 408 is chosen for 'Small' but Full HD should be 403 dpi for 5.46"
    You can do the same also on your Z1, Z2, Z3, Z4 Tablet, Z5, Z5 Compact ..... and on your crapold device, because this is not changing the display resolution :)

Seriously guys..... this is changing the resolution of the VIRTUAL display (not the physical one), so like this you are getting 4k emulation on 1080p physical resolution.
    To change the physical display resolution you need to do "quite a few more steps", which cannot be done in a simple way like this (and surely not without root).

Moreover, even if -- yes, there is a way -- it's not doable on stock ROMs, as it misses the required implementation.
    I am almost done here so, on Open Devices, you will be able to get real 4k@60hz whenever you want.

Cheers!
    -- AngeloGioacchino Del Regno
    finally find the way to work fully for 3rd party dialer, here is my step

1. change to max resolution and dpi according to OP.
    2. install this dialer,i do not know for other one but this is i pick up because apart from default one i love using Google Pixel dialer so i use patch one just download and install normally.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-YrlXZxM0jhSHM2NURhNE1XZGs
    3. Change default apps for phone to the one we install (see photos)
    4. See photos for it all works, good thing in my opinion is you do not have to start calling using the one you just install. you just use the stock one as normal it will link to use the one we install automatically. in the meantime before anyone know how to work out for stock dialer (which i prefer more anyway)

Happy using, hit thanks for me if it works for you
    http://imgur.com/a/42zHL