[MOD] Change Default Resolution to 4k - No root needed!

Search This thread

MiniDemonic

Oct 18, 2010
I haven't tried making any calls since switching to 4K using this method due to my sim card being to big and I haven't gotten my new sim card yet. Will probably get it tomorrow.

I'm going to do some PCMark battery benchmarks with it on 4K and on 1080p to see if battery life is affected but it's going to take a while. I will try to have it done by tomorrow and post my results here.

Ek2017

Jun 15, 2017
4k res

Hi everyone has anybody had any luck with the phone dialler issue?
I've changed the resolution to 4k and it looks stunning the battery drain is not as bad I initially thought I love it especially with Hi res glass icons.
I' can make and cancel calls using a third party app dialler but receving calls it reverts to stock dialler app.

tanipat

Nov 22, 2011
Hi everyone has anybody had any luck with the phone dialler issue?
I've changed the resolution to 4k and it looks stunning the battery drain is not as bad I initially thought I love it especially with Hi res glass icons.
I' can make and cancel calls using a third party app dialler but receving calls it reverts to stock dialler app.

It frustrated but i dont think it can be done about it without root, default incoming call is never change. It is much better than Z5 Premium though as i see no problem with Screen shot, Z5 Premium even cannot make screen shot after change these value. Hopes someone have work around for this anyway

tanipat

Nov 22, 2011
finally find the way to work fully for 3rd party dialer, here is my step

1. change to max resolution and dpi according to OP.
2. install this dialer,i do not know for other one but this is i pick up because apart from default one i love using Google Pixel dialer so i use patch one just download and install normally.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-YrlXZxM0jhSHM2NURhNE1XZGs
3. Change default apps for phone to the one we install (see photos)
4. See photos for it all works, good thing in my opinion is you do not have to start calling using the one you just install. you just use the stock one as normal it will link to use the one we install automatically. in the meantime before anyone know how to work out for stock dialer (which i prefer more anyway)

Happy using, hit thanks for me if it works for you
http://imgur.com/a/42zHL

Last edited:

iKlutz

Feb 9, 2013
London
OnePlus 7T Pro
OPPO Find X3 Pro

2. install this dialer,i do not know for other one but this is i pick up because apart from default one i love using Google Pixel dialer so i use patch one just download and install normally.
4. See photos for it all works, good thing in my opinion is you do not have to start calling using the one you just install. you just use the stock one as normal it will link to use the one we install automatically. in the meantime before anyone know how to work out for stock dialer (which i prefer more anyway)

Thanks man. I wasn't gonna try this until someone found a solution to the phone app problem.

Did anybody else have blank thumbnails on recent apps menu?

ycfung

Jun 28, 2017
It's perfect 4K resolution. But I find that the thumbnails are missing when I try to switch between the apps in recent apps screen.

Xeon

Nov 15, 2004
Beirut
HTC Leo
Sony Xperia Z
I made a thread in the Z5P long time ago how to change the resolution and display density...

Long story short, you don't have to run 4K all the time as it will drain the battery faster.... When I got the XZP the first thing was checking the original density and it was 408 ( normal is 480 )

Most of the apps won't work with custom density as they are coded for 480/400/320/240 etc... ( increment 80 )

However with Nougat you can simply keep the resolution to 1080p and change the density to 300 dpi ( works great and everything is smooth )

You can go as low as 240/260 to get viber, gmail app and chrome etc... have the desktop UI ( tabs etc.. )

Reactions: Moou20

Etorres6

Mar 16, 2017
Help

I thought xz premium was set to 4k permanently? That's what set it aside from the last one I thought. How do I root please? And what is adb and ofc?

Artyomska

Dec 24, 2013
I thought xz premium was set to 4k permanently? That's what set it aside from the last one I thought. How do I root please? And what is adb and ofc?

Before asking such questions, read more the already existing threads. This thread isn't made for your questions.

And the XZP isn't always set to 4K. You can easily do it, but in my opinion it isn't worth it.

numero13

Nov 23, 2013
thank you for the tutorial, i changed to 4K and its visible the diference.
the only thing i done diferent was the wm density 818, for me its the best, but you can use other values too

i resume the resolutions i tested:

1080p (phone app work perfect)

Type "adb shell"
- Type "wm size 1080×1920"
- Type "wm density 480"

1440p (phone app work perfect)

Type "adb shell"
- Type "wm size 1440×2560"
- Type "wm density 640"

4K (phone app doenst work perfect)

Type "adb shell"
- Type "wm size 2160×3840"
- Type "wm density 818

Last edited:

darveniza

Aug 12, 2016
I follow the mod, the resolution works great, but the phone app crashes and the dialer fix is also not working as it keeps defaulting to main phone dialer. Even after updating permissions

darveniza

Aug 12, 2016
Numero13: Thanks for your posting with the different settings. I did the 1440p setting and it took it fine but with the density setting of 640 it states that the density is not found???

bummerboy

Apr 8, 2014
too unstable. settings app keeps crashing. settings>apps crashes after all apps are loaded
random reboot
not usable

numero13

Nov 23, 2013
Numero13: Thanks for your posting with the different settings. I did the 1440p setting and it took it fine but with the density setting of 640 it states that the density is not found???

for me it worked but you can try others too

after 480 increment 80 ando you shoul have no problem
Example:
480 + 80 = 560
560+ 80 = 640

numero13

Nov 23, 2013
afert a few tests on this days i foud yhe original density may be 480, please verify on the first post

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey there,

Daki from www.androidkosmos.de published a short article that the resolution can be changed to 4k by default (so Kudos to you man). As it's in German and not exactly step-by-step, I felt like posting a short how-to.

Step 1: Turn on Developer Options.

- Settings -> About -> Click 5x on Build-Number

Step 2: Allow USB debugging

- Settings -> Developer Options -> USB Debugging [X]

Step 3: Open ADB, (always without the " ofc!)

- Type "adb devices", click on "allow request" on your phone

Step 4: Change Resolution and DPI

- Type "adb shell"
    - Type "wm size 2160×3840"
    - Type "wm density 807 (after a little tinkering, I found 721 to be the best DPI. Yea, really, 721)"

There is no information so far as to how battery life is affected!

Back to default:

Repeat steps 1-3

Step 4: Change Resolution and DPI (back to default)

- Type "adb shell"
    - Type "wm size 1080×1920"
    - Type "wm density 403"

Best

IlluX
    Further to this, if you're a weirdo like me and want everything reset rather than a set value due to your own personal OCD, you can use "wm size reset && wm density reset" :good::fingers-crossed::silly:
    Possible solution

I have been experimenting with combinations of resolution/dpi, try 1890x3360 @ 720 dpi - phone app is stable, lock screen is slower on startup but fine on subsequent screen lock/un-locks (I assume the phone's software is not optimised for this resolution)

It seems that whatever you override the density setting to be using the adb when you go into the phone's Settings>Display>Display Size the built in range is from 408 to 720 max in increments of 80* even though it allows a custom value to be set. I think 720 may be some kind of limit that phone app is bugging out on.

1890x3360 is chosen as it is in 16:9 ratio and for a 5.46" screen comes in at 706 dpi which is just below the 720 dpi limit.

*The built-in values are:

408** - Small
    480 - Default
    560 - Large
    640 - Larger
    720 - Largest

As previously posted by another contributor I also found that UHD 1440x 2560 @640 also works well

** not sure why 408 is chosen for 'Small' but Full HD should be 403 dpi for 5.46"
    You can do the same also on your Z1, Z2, Z3, Z4 Tablet, Z5, Z5 Compact ..... and on your crapold device, because this is not changing the display resolution :)

Seriously guys..... this is changing the resolution of the VIRTUAL display (not the physical one), so like this you are getting 4k emulation on 1080p physical resolution.
    To change the physical display resolution you need to do "quite a few more steps", which cannot be done in a simple way like this (and surely not without root).

Moreover, even if -- yes, there is a way -- it's not doable on stock ROMs, as it misses the required implementation.
    I am almost done here so, on Open Devices, you will be able to get real 4k@60hz whenever you want.

Cheers!
    -- AngeloGioacchino Del Regno