[Recovery] [YB1-X90L] TWRP

186 posts
Thanks Meter: 121

By danjac, Senior Member on 7th January 2017, 08:56 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
10th January 2017, 08:33 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Do not get me wrong but you say make a full back up with twrp before doing anything but based on your description twrp cant be installed without unlocking the bootloader which in return erases the device.

Is this catch22 or am I missing something here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjac

managed to get twrp working on YB1-X90L (Yoga Book - Android - LTE)
it's my very first try to create sth. like that, so I have absolutely no idea if everything works as it should. (took the twrp from yoga tab 3 pro root thread and changed it to fit my device mainly using this guide and some minor changes on my own)
if you want to try, you do it on your own risk. if sth. breaks, please don't blame me!

I strongly suggest not to flash it, but just boot it via fastboot:

1. download recovery
2. make sure adb is working
3. put the recovery into your adb folder
4. unlock bootloader (attention: unlocking the bootloader does a factory reset. so back up your data before) see here how to unlock bootloader
5. boot into bootloader (either: 'press power + volume up' or use adb typing 'adb reboot bootloader' in terminal
6. open terminal and naviagte to your adb folder (with recovery.img in it) then type: 'fastboot boot recovery_twrp.img' (adapt file name in case you changed it)
7. tablet should reboot and boot twrp

this method does not flash twrp permanently. your stock recovery remains untouched!

!!!BEFORE YOU USE TWRP TO CHANGE ANYTHING, PLEASE MAKE A FULL BACKUP!!!

download: Attachment 3994659

as always... I mainly relied on other people's work. so all credits go to them, e.g. twrp team, joesnose (twrp yoga tab 3pro) and HostZero

screenshots:
Attachment 3994696
Attachment 3994697
Attachment 3994698

as i said, it is a beginner's job. so here is what i noticed so far:
twrp freezes after a certain time when not used - I guess it is when twrp goes to 'standby', normally you wake it up again by sliding a button but it doesn't work here.

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

So this process messed up your system? Not sure if I understand what is going on there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyVerne

I have one question, after I unlock the bootloader, it occurs the "intel ....untrusted,will boot in 5 seconds ", I wanna know how to lock the bootloader again.

10th January 2017, 08:54 PM |#12  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajkan

Do not get me wrong but you say make a full back up with twrp before doing anything but based on your description twrp cant be installed without unlocking the bootloader which in return erases the device.

Is this catch22 or am I missing something here?

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

So this process messed up your system? Not sure if I understand what is going on there.

to your first question:
1. well, here we are not talking about backing up your user data but your rom (stock rom so to speak). if anything goes wrong you can always go back to stock.
2. if you want to peform ota update you can't do it with modified system (ota will fail), so normally you must go back to stock, update, root again

to your second question:
it's just a warning that your bootloader is unlocked, nothing more. it shows with every boot and after 5secs just boots normally.
you can easily find out about the advantages and disadvantages of an unlocked bootloader e.g. here on xda.
The Following User Says Thank You to danjac For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift danjac Ad-Free
16th January 2017, 11:30 AM |#13  
Flag Shanghai
Thanks Meter: 24

More
I can't thank you enough for this. I live in China and was only able to buy the Chinese version of the Yoga Book, which doesn't come with Google Services installed. However, using this TWRP recovery I was able to flash Google Services (and get root) which makes my Yoga Book so much more useful! Thanks so much!
17th January 2017, 09:37 PM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 66

More
Have got as far as flashing TWRP, but find that any attempt to backup - to internal storage or sdcard - is cancelled. Have checked on googz but cannot find any specific info. Any help would be appreciated
18th January 2017, 02:38 PM |#15  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamzenos

Have got as far as flashing TWRP, but find that any attempt to backup - to internal storage or sdcard - is cancelled. Have checked on googz but cannot find any specific info. Any help would be appreciated

which yoga book version?
did you flash it or booted it?
how about a log (--> advanced --> copy to sdcard)?

is 'mount read-only' in 'mount' deactivated?
18th January 2017, 04:45 PM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 66

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by danjac

which yoga book version?
did you flash it or booted it?
how about a log (--> advanced --> copy to sdcard)?

is 'mount read-only' in 'mount' deactivated?

Left it overnight and tried again today. It's OK this time. I fiddled with settings, mainly to deselect the read-only system option. Each stage of this process has been pretty frustrating (I'm used to hacking sammy devices - this is first and last time with a lenny). Stuck now trying to get root - it will probably take until tomorrow! btw, ver is YB1 X90F (Europe/UK).

But thanks for taking the trouble to reply. And thanks for giving us the opportunity to hack the YB.
18th January 2017, 08:21 PM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Worked on the wifi version too.
You may not be a developer but you are a pretty smart guy to be able to figure this out on your own, my hat is off to you. I rooted my wifi version of Yoga Book using your instruction and the only notable issue I ran into in the process was that i had to install new Android usb drivers in Windows to get the reboot-bootloader command to work, other than that little hiccup it worked like a charm. One other issue I ran into that was of my own making was that Titanium backup encouraged me to upgrade super user which led to a soft brick, thankfully I'd backed my book up and was able to restore it.

Thanks for taking the time to share this with us because rooting made this device a much better experience.
7th March 2017, 03:06 PM |#18  
Flag PJ
Thanks Meter: 1

More
hi all, Im reslly happy to see the yb can really root. but all i want is to have the google app work on my yb china version.

am not a techy, hence most of the insturction mention here is very strange to me.

if anyone can help to write down the step by step on how to flash twrp and install google app to yb will be great thanks..

please...
12th April 2017, 09:48 AM |#19  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakit78

hi all, Im reslly happy to see the yb can really root. but all i want is to have the google app work on my yb china version.

am not a techy, hence most of the insturction mention here is very strange to me.

if anyone can help to write down the step by step on how to flash twrp and install google app to yb will be great thanks..

please...

If you just want to install gapps, there is no need to root.
1. download gapps from opengapps.org. select x86_64 6.0 version. select nano or micro version if only want google play to be worked.
2. put the gapps zip file into your root of your YB.
3. just follow the instructions of this post to boot into TWRP
4. In TWRP, select install zip file from SD, then select the gapps to install
5. after finish, reboot to the system.
6. Done!

---------- Post added at 08:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

The problem is that I fail to OTA updated after booting into TWRP and install gapps. Anyone can helps?
13th April 2017, 09:18 PM |#20  
Thanks Meter: 156

More
@danjac Hi, did you keep the boot to bios option in the reboot menu?
15th April 2017, 08:58 AM |#21  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesnose

@danjac Hi, did you keep the boot to bios option in the reboot menu?

hi it's still there but won't boot into bios
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)