[GUIDE] [step-by-step] Make your Lenovo Tablet Yoga 2 830L able to handle voice calls

Search This thread

OskuPosku

Dec 26, 2014
Have you guys been able to use 4G/LTE mobile data network with these 830LC Rooted firmwares? For me it always shows 3G or H+. Shouldn't I see something else in the status bar? Just wondering is it a restriction in the chinese firmware or something else. I have 1050-L with 830LC firmware flashed.

bodivas

Oct 18, 2010
Milan-Italy
Have you guys been able to use 4G/LTE mobile data network with these 830LC Rooted firmwares? For me it always shows 3G or H+. Shouldn't I see something else in the status bar? Just wondering is it a restriction in the chinese firmware or something else. I have 1050-L with 830LC firmware flashed.
Try to use this code (info tablet) *#*#4636#*#*

View attachment 3083962

Last edited:

4VGU53R

Dec 5, 2010
Interestingly, after this update (000094), the YouTube player doesn't give me the 1080p option anymore.
Before the update, i had no problem choosing the FullHD resolution for videos, but now it's 720p max !
Not that i "need" 1080p on an 8" tablet... but still it seems a step backward to me...
Has anybody else noticed this ? or is it just me ?

bodivas

Oct 18, 2010
Milan-Italy
Interestingly, after this update (000094), the YouTube player doesn't give me the 1080p option anymore.
Before the update, i had no problem choosing the FullHD resolution for videos, but now it's 720p max !
Not that i "need" 1080p on an 8" tablet... but still it seems a step backward to me...
build.prop, change =5.0, reboot ??
ro.build.version.release=4.4.2

Reactions: 4VGU53R

OskuPosku

Dec 26, 2014

Strange. I checked and I do have 1080p option. My firmware is 830LC_S000094_141219. You have the latest version of Youtube from Play Store, right?

4VGU53R

Dec 5, 2010
build.prop, change =5.0, reboot ??
ro.build.version.release=4.4.2

Thanks, will give it a try.

Yeah, when i changed it to 5.0 and rebooted, it worked. i was able to choose 1080p.
after i changed it back to 4.4.2 and restarted, it went back to 720p only...
So i guess i have to change it permanently ?

Strange. I checked and I do have 1080p option. My firmware is 830LC_S000094_141219. You have the latest version of Youtube from Play Store, right?

I got the same firmware.
also, i'm pretty positive that i have the latest version.
When i first installed the update, non of my Google apps were updated. (i didn't even have the option to choose video resolutions at first on YouTube, only HD On/Off switch ! ) then i had to install Google Services and then i updated them manually, one by one. now the YouTube app shows version 6.0.13 , which is the latest.

Last edited:

vekotin

Dec 29, 2014
Firmware for 10" model, Yoga Tablet 2-1050L with LTE ?

Is somewhere similar firmware, for to enable voice calling functionality for Lenovo Yoga 2 10" LTE -model too (Yoga Tablet 2-1050L with LTE)?

Isn't there any option to do that firmware update with SC-card, so without pc?
So to put / extract firmware on SD card and to somehow boot tablet firmware update from there?

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

It shows 'WCDMA Preferred', and also as network type HSPAP.

Edit: I confirm, changing WCDMA to LTE/WCDMA in the drop-down menu enabled 4G for me. Now I can see the 4G icon in the status bar. Thank you, bodivas. You are a best! :)

I suppose that you are in Finland. Did tablet work as mobile phone too and else way perfect with that firmware update?

Where did you buy your 8" model?
How are experiences of tablet else way?
Any issues?

Last edited:

OskuPosku

Dec 26, 2014
Is somewhere similar firmware, for to enable voice calling functionality for Lenovo Yoga 2 10" LTE -model too (Yoga Tablet 2-1050L with LTE)?

Isn't there any option to do that firmware update with SC-card, so without pc?
So to put / extract firmware on SD card and to somehow boot tablet firmware update from there?

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

I suppose that you are in Finland. Did tablet work as mobile phone too and else way perfect with that firmware update?

Where did you buy your 8" model?
How are experiences of tablet else way?
Any issues?

Yes, I'm in Finland. I have the 10" (1050-L) model with 830LC flashed. With this firmware it works well as mobile phone too. Overall, I love this tablet. Even more with this custom rooted firmware. Excellent performance, good screen panel and very long lasting battery. Recharging seems to take longer time than usually but that's acceptable when you get lots of usetime between the charges.

So far issues with 830LC firmware I've only found that the stock camera app shows camera display wrongly orientated. But with another camera from Play Store it works fine. I'm also getting random freezes but that could be some of my apps, not the firmware. Still investigating this.

Edit: Check official Lenovo Shop. At least the Wifi versions were much cheaper than in finnish shops. Free shipping. I'm not sure if they sell LTE versions.

EDIT2: The camera issue is more serious than I first thought. I can take pictures with alternative app, but then its off again in Skype too. The camera picture is 90 degrees off in rotation, no matter how I turn my tablet. Is there any easy way to fix this, experts? :)

Last edited:

vekotin

Dec 29, 2014
Is rom really compatible with Lenovo Yoga 2 10" (1050L) model too?

Yes, I'm in Finland. I have the 10" (1050-L) model with 830LC flashed. With this firmware it works well as mobile phone too. Overall, I love this tablet. Even more with this custom rooted firmware. Excellent performance, good screen panel and very long lasting battery. Recharging seems to take longer time than usually but that's acceptable when you get lots of usetime between the charges.

So far issues with 830LC firmware I've only found that the stock camera app shows camera display wrongly orientated. But with another camera from Play Store it works fine. I'm also getting random freezes but that could be some of my apps, not the firmware. Still investigating this.

Edit: Check official Lenovo Shop. At least the Wifi versions were much cheaper than in finnish shops. Free shipping. I'm not sure if they sell LTE versions.

EDIT2: The camera issue is more serious than I first thought. I can take pictures with alternative app, but then its off again in Skype too. The camera picture is 90 degrees off in rotation, no matter how I turn my tablet. Is there any easy way to fix this, experts? :)

Thank you very much of information.

I was not so sure whether that firmware for 8" 830L is compatible for 10" 1050L too, while at least open source codes here seem to differ
support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/tablets/yoga-series/yoga-tablet-2-830//downloads/DS101328
support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/tablets/yoga-series/yoga-tablet-2-830//downloads/DS101327
support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds101330

Personally I am more interested on that 8" model, while it is big enough as tablet and smaller to carry with and lighter for to use as electronic book as well (8" is 420g vs 10" is 620g). Same full HD resolution screen may look better in 8" model than in 10" model.
Lenovo Yoga 2 tablets seem to be very good devices. Only lack, as far as I know is that missing led flash with it's "back"camera.
Intel 64bit Atom-processor in Lenovo Yoga 2 -tablets is good for newest Android 5, that will be available 64bit version too. Former Androids and most ARM-processors in Android devices are 32bit only.

Last edited:

vekotin

Dec 29, 2014
Where to find FlashTool_4.4.4.1 ?

I can't find available/working FlashTool_4.4.4.1 with this:

3) download the flashing tool. Your tablet has an Intel core, so you will need the Intel flashing tool.
a. the file is called PhoneFlashTool, i used the 4.4.4.1 version found here: pan.baidu.com/wap/link?uk=86756550&shareid=735291514&third=0
b. this download page is in Chinese, the download link is the below the file name.
c. if the page does not work, ask google for a different download site: google.com/webhp?q=PhoneFlashTool_4.4.4.1#newwindow=1&q=Phone FlashTool_4.4.4.1

Can someone please tell, where to get it?

Reactions: Allordcs

mim262

Jan 4, 2015
Please can you help. I would like to make my lenovo yoga 2 8" with version 830L make and receive calls with firmware 830LC. I am unsure of this process and would like simpler instruction to do this so everything is the same as it is now but with the added voice function.

Many thanks

outlander4000

Apr 17, 2011
Munich
I have converted my 830L succesfully into a 830LC.
ROMs can be downloaded from www.needrom.com for the 830L and the 830LC.
I flashed the 830LC and after the first succesful start I flashed straight the rooted files from #bodivas in post #6.
Everything works flawlessly well and I have SU access. Also the update check confirms that I am using the latest version.
Everything is straight forward. Good luck.

mim262

Jan 4, 2015
Thanks - I couldn't find anything on needrom. Looked into the steps at start of thread but a lot of file need other programmes to open them. I don't want to risk damaging the tablet and thought would be fairly easy to add the phone facility to this 830l tablet. On the lenovo website there is open source firmware for 830f 830l and 830lc. I tried to download the 830lc but it is tar.gz so don't know what this means. Is there a simpler way to do this? Or a simple file that can be added to get the phone side added or set of novice friendly instructions?

4VGU53R

Dec 5, 2010
Last edited:
Reactions: bodivas

bodivas

Oct 18, 2010
Milan-Italy
I assume this is the stock firmware and should be rooted via the temporary CWM, correct ?
On another note, i still get the update from Dec. 19th as the last available OTA update...
Strange stuff this regional updates are! also no changelogs whatsoever...
I have not yet figured out what it depends on the version of the update ota. Yes, you can get the root with CWM temporary

Reactions: 4VGU53R

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The issue.
    The Lenovo Tablet Yoga 2 8'', sold in Europe with product code 830L, handles Data connection with a SIM card, but does NOT make or receive voice calls.
    A similar model, sold outside Europe with code 830LC, is able to make and receive voice calls out of the box (just like a phone)
    -> If you bought the tablet in Europe, you can't make calls with it.

The solution
    It appears that the model sold outside Europe (830LC), is not only similar but actually identical, hardware-wise, to the European model, ALBEIT with a a different firmware.
    Basically, Lenovo took the 830LC tablet and removed the voice calling from the firmware, before selling it in Europe as 830L
    -> SO: We are going to flash the 830L and enable the call functionality.

Why would Lenovo remove voice-calling from European models?
    If you are puzzled by this - you are not the only one. It seems that there are legal reasons, i.e. Lenovo not having all the licenses to sell voice-calling tablets in Europe.
    In any case, it's not the first time: the older Lenovo Yoga tablet (B6000 XX) also had two identical versions, the European one unable to make calls, unless you flashed the firmware. If you have the older model (2013), do NOT follow this guide, search instead for B6000 threads.

What you need
    - A Lenovo Yoga 2 Tablet with product code 830L. You can find the model number on the back on the package, or in the "About tablet" section of the Android settings.
    Notes:
    a) if you have a different Lenovo tablet model, again, DO NOT try this. It will brick your tablet: firmware and tools are different for each model. Look instead for a guide specific to your model.
    b) If you have the WiFi only version of the tablet, this process won't work, because the hardware is different.
    - A Windows PC or laptop (I tested it on Windows 7)
    - A MicroUSB cable
    - Some files freely available on the net (read below)
    - About half an hour time, if everything is smooth. Several hours or more, if something does not work :)

IMPORTANT Disclaimer
    While this worked fine for me and for others, there is no guarantee that it will work for you.
    Lenovo does NOT support this procedure. Your warranty will probably be void. Something can go wrong. You may brick your device if something goes wrong.

This is NOT for you, if:
    1. You don't know what a "firmware" is
    2. You have never flashed any hardware before
    3. You don't understand some of the instructions below.
    4. You are not ready to accept the risk of bricking your device.
    5. You are not the type of person that has fun with this kind of stuff.
    6. You have data on your device that is critical for you, with no backup and no replacement available.

Credits
    I did not invent anything here, nor i created any of the files / tools / firmwares etc.
    I just assembled info found around the net, mainly on Russian and Chinese sites. Credit to all those people, and to Google Translate :)
    Main credits due to bodivas on xda / pro100gamer

Instructions

Ok, let's roll - here's the steps.

1) download the firmware for the Lenovo Tablet Yoga 2 830LC
    a. here's a link to an international version that worked for me, and that will also root your tablet in the process: yadi.sk/d/w5bRAvCdcqCaz
    b. if you don't want to root your tablet, there are unrooted firmwares available online, that you can look up. In theory, any firmware for the 830LC should probably work.
    c. general rule: when you download something online and flash it on your hardware, use CAUTION. You are handing your home keys. Try to validate the source as much as possible.

2) download the firmware for the Lenovo Tablet Yoga 2 830L (yes, the firmware of *your* tablet. bear with me....)
    a. google for this file: YT2-830L_USR_S000067_1410301707_WW21_ROW
    b. I don't give a straight link because the one that i have used has disappeared in the meanwhile. I don't want to validate another source that I did not test.
    c. btw: if someone has this firmware TESTED and can upload it somewhere, i will update this guide with a straight link.

3) download the flashing tool. Your tablet has an Intel core, so you will need the Intel flashing tool.
    a. the file is called PhoneFlashTool, i used the 4.4.4.1 version found here: pan.baidu.com/wap/link?uk=86756550&shareid=735291514&third=0
    b. this download page is in Chinese, the download link is the below the file name.
    c. if the page does not work, ask google for a different download site: google.com/webhp?q=PhoneFlashTool_4.4.4.1#newwindow=1&q=PhoneFlashTool_4.4.4.1
    d. AGAIN: i will update the guide with a straight link in English if someone has one

4) install the flashing tool you downloaded in step 3 (PhoneFlashTool). For me, the tool was clever enough to figure all the needed drivers and set them up.

5) extract the firmwares you downloaded in step 1 and 2, to your local hard drive.

6) now, somewhat tricky part. In the firmware for 830L, find a file called "esp.img". Copy this file over to the file with the same name on the 830LC firmware files.
    a. NOTE: I am not sure why this step is needed, but I followed it and it worked for me. If you know more, i will update the guide accordingly.

7) Just to be sure, reboot pc and tablet.

8) Now time to flash. Start the phoneflashtool. The instructions on screen are quite straightforward, but basically:
    a. have the phoneflashtool ready and running
    b. turn off your tablet and connect it
    c. you will need to choose a file called "flash.xml" from the folder where you extracted the 830LC firmware. (click "Browse..." and find the file). This file will guide the flashing tool through the process.
    d. when the flashphonetool recognizes your device, press the green "start flashing" button next to the name of your device.

EXTRA: If you have trouble with this part, here's a visual guide to the phoneflashtool: androidxda.com/flash-stock-rom-using-intel-phone-flash-tool
    EXTRA2: If your device is not recognized by the phoneflashtool (i.e. , you don't see a green "connected to port X", and nothing happens when you try to flash), try the following:
    I. power off your device if it is not off already
    II. power on in recovery (press power+volume down together for a few seconds)
    II. choose "droidboot" from the menu that appears. You should see a recovery menu in the device screen.
    III. check if device is now recognized

e. when the tool starts flashing, let it work for a few minutes, the progress bar will show you that stuff is actually going on :)
    f. when you get the message "done", your device is flashed.

9) if everything went smoothly, you can now disconnect your device and reboot.

10) You should now be able to make calls! you will have a dialer in your default installed apps. And the About in your device settings will now show 830LC as your phone model (instead of 830L)

Let me know if it worked for you.
    Rooted_YT2-830LC_USR_S000095_1412191502_WW21_ROW​
    I added all ota-updates and added the root.
    You can install over old rom 830 LC, putting boot / recovery / system as on the screen:
    11.PNG
    But I suggest you install this old firmware without the root, update via ota and flashing above only rooted system.img

Download Stock Rooted_YT2-830LC_USR_S000095_1412191502_WW21_ROW
    Try to use this code (info) *#*#4636#*#*

View attachment 3083962

It shows 'WCDMA Preferred', and also as network type HSPAP.

Edit: I confirm, changing WCDMA to LTE/WCDMA in the drop-down menu enabled 4G for me. Now I can see the 4G icon in the status bar. Thank you, bodivas. You are a best! :)
    Try to use this code (info tablet) *#*#4636#*#*

View attachment 3083962