FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

UPGRADE YOTAPHONE 2(YD206) running on 4.4.4 to RU latest firmware 5.0(YD201)

28 posts
Thanks Meter: 38

By virtuanemo, Junior Member on 24th November 2016, 01:28 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
If you've purchased a Yotaphone 2 YD206 from China/Hong Kong warehouse, you can't update it via OTA. As there no System Update feature available in Kitkat 4.4.4.
NOTE - I ain't responsible if you kill your phone with your own hands. So

Here's a guide for all who want to upgrade your HK build YOTAphone running on Kitkat to RU build.

The image above is just for your reference. Don't mind the language. I took that image from another post.

PROCEDURE:

1. Download necessary drivers for Yotaphone 2.
- Actually download both Qualcomm and ADB drivers and proceed further.
- I recommend you to be online so that the Windows detects the hardware device and updates for latest drivers.

2. Install YotaphoneFlasher
Download latest firmware under the HK directory - 5.0.0-HK1.1.66.zip and the RU directory - 5.0.0-RU1.1.124.zip

3. First, unzip the latest HK firmware, copy all the files in it and travel to this path --> C:\Program Files (x86)\yotaphone_flasher
- Create a new folder and name it firmware
- Now under C:\Program Files (x86)\yotaphone_flasher\firmware\ paste all the files here.

4. Enable Developer options on your Yota and enable USB debugging mode.
- Power off the phone.
- Enter download mode by holding power and volume down button simultaneously.
- Connect your phone to the PC via Yota USB.
NOTE: Make sure all the drivers are installed correctly before proceeding further.

5. Using YotaPhoneFlasher on your PC, select option 1 which says flash the cellphone
- You can see the phone starts flashing the files
- If this step doesn't go smooth then you've not placed the files inside the firmware folder

6. While the phone is still flashing, it prompts the user if he needs to flash userdata on your Yota.
- Hit y/n to proceed
- Once the firmware is upgraded, do not hesitate to shut the YotaPhoneFlasher prompt.
- Your phone will reboot, and you can see the boot animation looping.
- Do not panic, GO HAVE YOUR MEAL and come back to experience Android L on your phone.
- Unplug the USB cable from your phone.

7. Set the phone and make it ready to use.
- You can see your device model has changed from YD206 --> YD201
- By now you should've received an OTA update of size 200+ MB.
- Go ahead and install the update.
- Phone reboots and you'll be having the build number as --> LRX21M.5.0.0-HK1.1.124d
- Your phone is good to go now. You won't be receiving any further OTA updates here.

THE FOLLOWING POST CONTINUES FOR THOSE WHO WANT RU BUILD -
8. Follow step 3 carefully with necessary amendments.
- Here, you need to delete files in the firmware folder since they belong to HK build.
- Unzip the RU build, copy it's files to \firmware\ folder

9. Repeat Step 4,5,6,7
- Under step 7, you should've received an OTA update of size 200+ MB.
- Go ahead and install the update.
- Phone reboots and you'll be having the build number as --> LRX21M.5.0.0-RU1.1.134

If you haven't noticed, 4G also works on both HK/RU Lollipop builds.

Hit the bottom right button which says THANKS if you have survived the challenge of keeping your phone alive
The Following 37 Users Say Thank You to virtuanemo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift virtuanemo Ad-Free
26th November 2016, 11:40 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Battery life
Thx you so much for yur time! I have a question about LRX21M.5.0.0-RU1.1.134 how many hours of display can you do with it?
27th November 2016, 12:25 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
is a difference between RU5.0.0-RU1.1.124.zip and EU File:5.0.0-EU1.1.124b.zip? I'm not from Rusia, so should I go witht the european version no?
The Following User Says Thank You to queser.info For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift queser.info Ad-Free
27th November 2016, 06:03 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubews

Thx you so much for yur time! I have a question about LRX21M.5.0.0-RU1.1.134 how many hours of display can you do with it?

I get 4-6 hours with Russian lollipop on WiFi. This is for nonstop browsing on OLED screen using normal power and location services but with app optimisation. Attached chart is from current battery status - almost 6 hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-11-28-00-59-39.png
Views:	1980
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	3950493  
The Following User Says Thank You to Parmo100 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Parmo100 Ad-Free
27th November 2016, 06:16 PM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by queser.info

is a difference between RU5.0.0-RU1.1.124.zip and EU File:5.0.0-EU1.1.124b.zip? I'm not from Rusia, so should I go witht the european version no?

All the major languages are on the Russian and European ROMs,but the Russian firmware will always be the first version pushed out and in the future will be the version that is supported the longest. The software is the same except there are a few Russian only apps, e.g english aeroflot timetables etc, Russian language yota cover scripts and Russian books in yota reader instead of multilingual books on the European ROM.
Currently you can do an OTA from the Russian ROM to get the 1.1.134 version which is not yet available on the European ROM.
I recommend the Russian ROM, which language do you intend using on your Yotaphone?
The Following User Says Thank You to Parmo100 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Parmo100 Ad-Free
27th November 2016, 08:01 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmo100

I get 4-6 hours with Russian lollipop on WiFi. This is for nonstop browsing on OLED screen using normal power and location services but with app optimisation. Attached chart is from current battery status - almost 6 hours.

That's a good results , i m getting 5-6 hours nonstop browsing in my Sony Z3 compact but it's 4.6 , I m thinking to change it for a yotaphone 2 . I really like double screen and this 1080p oled screen looks great.
27th November 2016, 08:20 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmo100

All the major languages are on the Russian and European ROMs,but the Russian firmware will always be the first version pushed out and in the future will be the version that is supported the longest. The software is the same except there are a few Russian only apps, e.g english aeroflot timetables etc, Russian language yota cover scripts and Russian books in yota reader instead of multilingual books on the European ROM.
Currently you can do an OTA from the Russian ROM to get the 1.1.134 version which is not yet available on the European ROM.
I recommend the Russian ROM, which language do you intend using on your Yotaphone?

I will use it with english, and another question, the phone needed to be rooted when I start the firmware upgrade?
Thank you.
28th November 2016, 04:05 AM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by queser.info

I will use it with english, and another question, the phone needed to be rooted when I start the firmware upgrade?
Thank you.

No, you don't need root to use yotaflasher. It is very very easy to use. Select/Download firmware, flash firmware.

The most common yotaflasher failure is adb driver problems.
28th November 2016, 10:08 AM |#9  
OP Junior Member
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubews

I am a minimal user. May be with 1-2 hours of Wi-Fi/LTE all day. Calls and messages on the EPD. Lasts upto 2+ days. Again depends on the way of using it.
The Following User Says Thank You to virtuanemo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift virtuanemo Ad-Free
28th November 2016, 10:12 AM |#10  

More
If you use yotaphone on a powersave setting, that only allows phone, SMS and reader, you will get several days on one charge.
The implementation of extreme power save is currently clumsy, but in future release this will be much better.
28th November 2016, 04:18 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
EPD screen fail on black screen
Hi,
Anyone with problems on the EPD screen after the upgrade? For me it works only on "White mode", if not, the black becomes gray and a lot of refreshing issues occurs, it's unusable.
The Following User Says Thank You to alexislaborda For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift alexislaborda Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)