Moto Z Force's TurboPower™: QuickCharge or USB-PD?

Search This thread

Driosenth

Jul 22, 2012
Does the Moto Z Force follow Qualcomm's Quick Charge standard or the USB-PD standard? I ask this because the TurboPower™ 15 charger outputs multiple voltages like QC standard; but the TurboPower™ 30 that comes with the Moto Z Force outputs only at 5V at a reasonably high available amperage of 5.7A, which look more like the USB-PD standard.

Additionally: which (if any other than OEM) wall and vehicle chargers available will optimally rapid/quick/turbo charge the Moto Z Force?

Thanks.

seh6183

Mar 23, 2011
Does the Moto Z Force follow Qualcomm's Quick Charge standard or the USB-PD standard? I ask this because the TurboPower™ 15 charger outputs multiple voltages like QC standard; but the TurboPower™ 30 that comes with the Moto Z Force outputs only at 5V at a reasonably high available amperage of 5.7A, which look more like the USB-PD standard.

Additionally: which (if any other than OEM) wall and vehicle chargers available will optimally rapid/quick/turbo charge the Moto Z Force?

Thanks.

I can tell you this. I have a QuickCharge 3.0 charger at home (USB charging hub) that will not engage TurboCharging on either my Moto Z or my Z Force. However my Nexus 6p charger engages TurboCharging on both phones. Odd... I am going to try a different USB-c cable tonight to see if it does anything on that 3.0 charging hub.

tea_dub84

Sep 19, 2010
Does the Moto Z Force follow Qualcomm's Quick Charge standard or the USB-PD standard? I ask this because the TurboPowerâ?¢ 15 charger outputs multiple voltages like QC standard; but the TurboPowerâ?¢ 30 that comes with the Moto Z Force outputs only at 5V at a reasonably high available amperage of 5.7A, which look more like the USB-PD standard.

Thanks.

Looks like the Moto Z force does not follow QC 3.0 standards. The reason the Nexus 6p charger is working is because it outputs 5V and a 3A current which is Turbo charging as far as Moto is concerned. I think our phones follow the USB PD standard. Reason being is the turbo 30 charger outputs 5V at 5.7amps. that's a lot of current but the voltage stays at 5v. Usb pd can get up to 20v at 5amps for a max off 100w. Quick charging is different in that it ramps up the voltage to 9v or 12 v depending but usually keeps current at 2a and below. USB PD tends to keep voltage low but ramp up the current draw. Quick charge will usually not see more than 3a on most chargers. If it does see 3a our phone will more than likely register as turbo charging. If not we get the standard 5v 2a charging. Bottom line is QC maxes out at 18w I believe. Our phones charge at 28w if you multiply 5v by 5.7a u get 28.5watts. This currently beats QC 3.0 devices which are all mostly 15w chargers hence why the Moto Z has the fastest charging out now. To increase power you either have to up the voltage or the current in amps. Different standards but achieve a similar goal.

Last edited:

jsmuli2

Aug 3, 2010
I've tried all my QC 2.0 and 3.0 charging devices. Nothing will charge it fast unless it's the TurboPower provided by Moto. That pisses me off so very much.

Reactions: diljosh

seh6183

Mar 23, 2011
I dont think these devices (nor the new Nexus phones) use QC or USB-PD. I think they all use something called USB-c fast charging. I returned my QC 3.0 charger and have another one on the way that claims to be USB-c fast charging. Ill report when I have it in 2 days.

If you notice the chargers for the Nexus and Moto Z phones are different than most chargers. The Moto phones have a non removable USB cable and the Nexus has a USB-c connector on both ends.

What I think we are looking for, and what I have on order, is a charger that has a USB-c input on it. I have a charging block that claims to have USB-c fast charging on its USB-c input. The charger I just returned that had QC 3.0 on it also had a USB-c input, but fast charging was not enabled on it. The new one claims to be.

So long story short you need to use a cable with the small C connector on both ends and a charger that has a USB-c port with fast charging enabled on it.

Reactions: WhiteRaven96

Metfanant

Jan 10, 2011
I've tried all my QC 2.0 and 3.0 charging devices. Nothing will charge it fast unless it's the TurboPower provided by Moto. That pisses me off so very much.
Agreed...I even went out and bought a QC 3.0 car charger just for this phone lol
I dont think these devices (nor the new Nexus phones) use QC or USB-PD. I think they all use something called USB-c fast charging. I returned my QC 3.0 charger and have another one on the way that claims to be USB-c fast charging. Ill report when I have it in 2 days.

If you notice the chargers for the Nexus and Moto Z phones are different than most chargers. The Moto phones have a non removable USB cable and the Nexus has a USB-c connector on both ends.

What I think we are looking for, and what I have on order, is a charger that has a USB-c input on it. I have a charging block that claims to have USB-c fast charging on its USB-c input. The charger I just returned that had QC 3.0 on it also had a USB-c input, but fast charging was not enabled on it. The new one claims to be.

So long story short you need to use a cable with the small C connector on both ends and a charger that has a USB-c port with fast charging enabled on it.
I'm very interested to hear your results

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

fliptwister

May 12, 2010
I also tested a Anker QC 3.0 wall charger and in half hour it only charged about 20%. Not quick or turbo speeds...

Very bummed. I just bought a QC 3.0 battery, car charger, and wall charger and threw away the boxes. I guess I can give them to my wife who has a LG G5...

I hope that eventually there are batteries and car charges that will charge this phone quickly. QC 2.0 was a feature that I very much liked on my last Phone (Droid Turbo). Being able to charge at those speeds was very nice on the road or with a battery.

tea_dub84

Sep 19, 2010
The only other things is I believe our phones are equipped with usb 3.1 standard. I believe this standard allows for up to 20v of power at a max of around 5a. But any charger that does 5v at at least 3a will pit our phone into turbo charging. I have a Verizon branded fast charger that does 5v/3a and it recognizes it as turbo charging and actually does very good. Not as fast as the stock charger but damn close. Motorola stated they follow the USB C standard for charging which is 5v 3a. So i still say it's a form of usb PD that Motorola is basing there technology off of because the amps our stock charger is putting out is 5.7 amps. The usb c standard stops at 3a without usb 3.1 which we have on our phones and usb pd to up the amps. I would love to see you report back with the findings on the new charger!!!

seh6183

Mar 23, 2011
We'll all know soon. I will even tell you the amps it puts out vs the stock charger. I have a way to monitor.

tea_dub84

Sep 19, 2010
To save y'all time. Look for chargers that output 5v at 3a. These will turbo charge your phone. Just like the Nexus 6p and Nexus 5x our phones do not follow Qualcomm quick charge standards. So those accessories will do nothing for you because QC doesn't put out past 2a. QC does 9v at 1.67a. multiply that and you get 15watts. Same thing as a charger with 5v and 3a. Multiply that and you also get 15w. Different ways of doing it but same end result. Verizon has a wall charger and a car charger that outputs at 5v 3a. It is also Qualcomm quick charge ready for other phones you may have. It also states on the side of the box that it is USB power delivery 2.0 compatible which I think is why it fast charges our phones. You're welcome :)

Reactions: jsmuli2

seh6183

Mar 23, 2011
The charger I ordered states: "USB C Output: DC 5V/3A". This leads me to believe it will put the phone into "Turbo" charging mode, but it won't actually charge as fast as the stock charger which is 5.7a. Oh well, it's better than nothing I guess. I can still use the stock charger when needed.

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

I literally cannot find any aftermarket charger that will put out more than 3.0 amps. I think thats as high as we can get right now and the Force charger is the only thing out there putting out above that.

tea_dub84

Sep 19, 2010
Yea I don't think any aftermarket charger right now supports anything above 3a. Our stock charger has a thicker cable as well. Since QC chargers up the voltage and keep a low amp rating they can keep the cable smaller. Voltage doesn't necessarily need a thicker cable but current or the flow of amps does. For more than 3 amps the cable needs to be thicker for more current flowing. Our phones can handle 30 watts of power easily our stock charger outputs 28.5 watts. 15 watts is considered quick charging that's why our phone recognizes it as turbo charging. One plus has a charger that does 5v at 4a that's the closest I know of 20 watts. I would just like the stock charger to have a longer possibly removable cable. Our phones with 5v 3a are really charging the same as the other QC 2.0 and 3.0 devices it's all 15 watts

Driosenth

Jul 22, 2012
Back again, now with a bit more info. If the Moto Z Force truly does draw 5.7A @ 5V it follows neither QC-3 nor USB-PD standard. Both like to change voltages, but neither have 5V anywhere approaching 5.7A. Pg 471 of the latest USB standard shows that the max current delivered at 5V is to be 3A before being bumped up to 9V. QC3.0 adjusts voltages via 200mV steps (if anyone has a link to the official technical specifications of QC3.0 please share), but only outputs 18W max.

My next step is to fully drain the Moto Z Force, hook up the charger to a power meter, and measure how much power it truly draws until fully charged. I might have to make a measuring tool that independently measures the voltage and current of both VBus lines if further testing is needed.

seh6183

Mar 23, 2011
Back again, now with a bit more info. If the Moto Z Force truly does draw 5.7A @ 5V it follows neither QC-3 nor USB-PD standard. Both like to change voltages, but neither have 5V anywhere approaching 5.7A. Pg 471 of the latest USB standard shows that the max current delivered at 5V is to be 3A before being bumped up to 9V. QC3.0 adjusts voltages via 200mV steps (if anyone has a link to the official technical specifications of QC3.0 please share), but only outputs 18W max.

My next step is to fully drain the Moto Z Force, hook up the charger to a power meter, and measure how much power it truly draws until fully charged. I might have to make a measuring tool that independently measures the voltage and current of both VBus lines if further testing is needed.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gombosdev.ampere&hl=en

Should be easier and give the same results. What I use.

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

I've come to the conclusion that the USB hub I ordered is as good as it gets. It has 6 ports. 4 ports that vary the amps up to 2.4a, 1 QC 2.0 port, and 1 USB-c 5v/3a port.

nyyyankees87

Mar 20, 2014
I really hope Motorola / Verizon / Aftermarket companies are able to come up with a charger for this device. I love my Moto Z Force, but with the battery mods, I would like to have a charger for work capable of charging the mod as well. I don't know if I'd be able to survive with the 3ft one that came with it. I went out and bought all of the 3.0 accessories and threw out the boxes as well, thinking it would work. No USB A > USB C Chargers I've tried have worked. I'm anxious to hear if anyone has found one that works.

I reached out to Motorola Customer Service, the person had no idea what was going on. I have a Quick Charge 3.0 Aukey charger at my desk, Ampere says it's charging at 4.341v but no turbo power blurb. My buddy has the "Fast Charging" Verizon one, but it doesn't say it either. Hard to tell if it even has QC or not. They did however load the official moto charger (OEM) onto their webpage. I may just have to live with this one. :/

seh6183

Mar 23, 2011
The one I have on order will certainly put the phone into turbo mode. I don't know how many amps it will do but it will be at least 3. As far as finding something above 3, well I couldn't. I ordered my own USB cable as well (C to C) and could have chosen any length. My charger is a hub with 6 ports and one is a QC 2.0 port. Couldn't find one with the fast USB-C port that also had 3.0.

---------- Post added at 08:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 AM ----------

Here's some charging stats for you. All in amps.

.25a - USB port on surface pro 4
.97a - Portable battery pack
.23a - Old USB hub on 2.1a port. (Terrible!)
2.5a - Nexus 6p charger. ("Turbo" shows)
5.1a!!! - Factory force charger

Metfanant

Jan 10, 2011
So these chargers will all "turbo" charge our phones? I'm particularly interested in he car charger...I have an aukey QC 3.0 that I bought for this phone before realizing it wouldn't do the job lol...

But the usb-c port on the one you just posted will actually work right?...

At home I'm not too worried because I generally only charge my phone over night, so a slow charge or short cable isn't a terrible problem

seh6183

Mar 23, 2011
So these chargers will all "turbo" charge our phones? I'm particularly interested in he car charger...I have an aukey QC 3.0 that I bought for this phone before realizing it wouldn't do the job lol...

But the usb-c port on the one you just posted will actually work right?...

At home I'm not too worried because I generally only charge my phone over night, so a slow charge or short cable isn't a terrible problem

Yes all those chargers should turbo charge the phone. Not as much as the stock charger, but still turbo. If you want a USB hub with multiple ports there are only like 2 options for those. There should be many options for single block home chargers and car chargers though. The hubs are the hard ones to get.

Metfanant

Jan 10, 2011
Yes all those chargers should turbo charge the phone. Not as much as the stock charger, but still turbo. If you want a USB hub with multiple ports there are only like 2 options for those. There should be many options for single block home chargers and car chargers though. The hubs are the hard ones to get.
Does the USB certification matter for the cable? Is a USB 2.0 cable enough or do we need 3.0 or 3.1?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I also tested a Anker QC 3.0 wall charger and in half hour it only charged about 20%. Not quick or turbo speeds...

Very bummed. I just bought a QC 3.0 battery, car charger, and wall charger and threw away the boxes. I guess I can give them to my wife who has a LG G5...

I hope that eventually there are batteries and car charges that will charge this phone quickly. QC 2.0 was a feature that I very much liked on my last Phone (Droid Turbo). Being able to charge at those speeds was very nice on the road or with a battery.
    To save y'all time. Look for chargers that output 5v at 3a. These will turbo charge your phone. Just like the Nexus 6p and Nexus 5x our phones do not follow Qualcomm quick charge standards. So those accessories will do nothing for you because QC doesn't put out past 2a. QC does 9v at 1.67a. multiply that and you get 15watts. Same thing as a charger with 5v and 3a. Multiply that and you also get 15w. Different ways of doing it but same end result. Verizon has a wall charger and a car charger that outputs at 5v 3a. It is also Qualcomm quick charge ready for other phones you may have. It also states on the side of the box that it is USB power delivery 2.0 compatible which I think is why it fast charges our phones. You're welcome :)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gombosdev.ampere&hl=en

Should be easier and give the same results. What I use.

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

I've come to the conclusion that the USB hub I ordered is as good as it gets. It has 6 ports. 4 ports that vary the amps up to 2.4a, 1 QC 2.0 port, and 1 USB-c 5v/3a port.