FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Plastic over screen?

1 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By wufame, Junior Member on 23rd December 2017, 09:54 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
This is the dumbest question I've probably ever asked on the internet, but my wife bought a Moto Z2. The first one had some sort of antenna issue shortly after she bought it, so we got a warranty replacement. I'm not looking over the phone to apply a new screen protector we bought and it appears there's already some sort of plastic protector over the screen, but I can't tell if it should be there or not. It feels so much more adhesive underneath than the factory plastic that protects screens. I'm afraid if I continue to peel it off it will leave behind some heavy residue. It almost feels like it's part of the screen itself.

My extremely dumb question: Am I not supposed to remove this plastic? Does anyone else see this on their phone? I can't seem to find anybody else reporting it. This is a factory replacement, so maybe it's refurbished and this is a screen protector from a previous owner?

Pictures of the part I'd begun peeling up before I realized this was not normal factory plastic.

Plastic

Plastic

23rd December 2017, 11:15 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 352

More
Yep ..Go on moto and make them replace ..But will have to send in ...Be $50 to do it ..Or they send u a new one with a $400 deposit if I read it correctly.The screen sucks ,I scratched mine badly on the first day I got it .I have no clue how I did it.Ive had 10 phones and have never damaged a screen like that ..

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-Z-...3862064/page/8

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/forums/...id/1556/page/8

24th December 2017, 07:26 PM |#3  
I pulled all that plastic off of mine. The plastic is what make the shatter resisting. It is really hard to get off but I like it better without it. I had to use lots of GOO GONE to remove the left over adhesive but in the end it works and I just applied a glass screen protector afterwards.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ttw626 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ttw626 Ad-Free
24th December 2017, 09:01 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 361

More
Yeah mine is bubbling up around the speaker and fingerprint sensor.

I rooted mine, so I am not even sure I can get a warranty replacement
6th January 2018, 06:57 AM |#5  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttw626

I pulled all that plastic off of mine. The plastic is what make the shatter resisting. It is really hard to get off but I like it better without it. I had to use lots of GOO GONE to remove the left over adhesive but in the end it works and I just applied a glass screen protector afterwards.

glad i saw this post. just tried it and so much happier without the "shattershield"
i scratched it on the 2nd day and it was annoying. Now to put on a tempered glass
13th January 2018, 12:25 AM |#6  
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandroid5

glad i saw this post. just tried it and so much happier without the "shattershield"
i scratched it on the 2nd day and it was annoying. Now to put on a tempered glass

Yes it way better not having the plastic on and the device doesn't get the crazy scratches now either. But wonder how shatter resisting it is now
15th January 2018, 04:24 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 59

More
I found the screen scratch very very easy it may be shatter resistant to a point but the screen will scuff . My vzw.. z2 did if it touched any object even lightly ... any ways , put a glass protector on TMobile z2 and perfect no issues use the full body glass on Amazon it colors the edges black and rounds around all the sensors and camera and front flash .

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app
9th May 2018, 06:24 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Same issue from my Z2. I just left it on and put a new SP over it.
24th May 2018, 11:53 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
So this is the only thread I can find even close to what I was after so here goes. Have you guys or anyone used the liquid screen protector? I found some with a 120$ screen replacement guarantee from " you break I fix it" at Walmart for 10 $ USD. It got to cure for 24hr but so far so good on my Z2 force
25th May 2018, 02:22 AM |#10  
Flag Springfield, MO
Thanks Meter: 178

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoberts

So this is the only thread I can find even close to what I was after so here goes. Have you guys or anyone used the liquid screen protector? I found some with a 120$ screen replacement guarantee from " you break I fix it" at Walmart for 10 $ USD. It got to cure for 24hr but so far so good on my Z2 force

The problem I have with liquid SPs is how do you know it's there and it's working? Say you gouge the screen, did you just gouge the SP or is the actual screen damaged? How do you tell? What if the SP becomes so scuffed or damaged that you want to replace it, how do you remove a liquid SP? The whole thing reminds me of the Emperor's new clothes lol. I just got a two pack of Supershieldz and it's solid. Fingerprint magnet, but still good.
The Following User Says Thank You to 41rw4lk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 41rw4lk Ad-Free
25th May 2018, 07:36 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
I understand but I got this one because it's a 9 out of 10 on the hardness scale and there's a no questions asked up to 120$ screen replacement for 12 months as long as you register it. It seems good as of now .

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using XDA Labs
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)