Not getting VoLTE on T-mobile on XT1710-06 version

Search This thread

politiclaw

Aug 24, 2010
Is or has anyone else been able to get VoLTE working on T-Mobile US on this model specifically? LTE and WiFi Calling work in general, but the "Enhanced 4G LTE Mode" toggle isn't there to allow VoLTE. The model has the same number of bands as the XT1710-01 model, but is on the RETLA channel, by the way.

Vesaniaheim

Oct 14, 2017
Puebla
Hi, actually I was having similar issues. VoLTE, seems to be different but is based on your Carrier mostly. If you call someone from a different carrier it may not be enabled. I'm with AT&T, whenever I call someone with AT&T and we are both with good 4g LTE, in the call, changes the status to HD. But, just with AT&T. At least that's how it Works for me. We should wait someone to confirm is this is how other carries behave.

politiclaw

Aug 24, 2010
Hi, actually I was having similar issues. VoLTE, seems to be different but is based on your Carrier mostly. If you call someone from a different carrier it may not be enabled. I'm with AT&T, whenever I call someone with AT&T and we are both with good 4g LTE, in the call, changes the status to HD. But, just with AT&T. At least that's how it Works for me. We should wait someone to confirm is this is how other carries behave.

Apologies for the late reply. Definitely no VoLTE or HD voice between me and other T-Mobile users. No matter what I tried it just never came up. If anyone's considering using this specific variant of the phone in the US, I'd be aware of the limits beforehand.

pizza_pablo

Dec 6, 2013
PNW
Apologies for the late reply. Definitely no VoLTE or HD voice between me and other T-Mobile users. No matter what I tried it just never came up. If anyone's considering using this specific variant of the phone in the US, I'd be aware of the limits beforehand.

-06 is a North American dual sim variant, correct?

Are both SIM cards on t-mobile?

Could one use SIMS from different carriers?

politiclaw

Aug 24, 2010
-06 is a North American dual sim variant, correct?

Are both SIM cards on t-mobile?

Could one use SIMS from different carriers?

-06 is a North American dual sim variant, correct. Updates should go through ATT Mex, I believe. And yes, you can use sims from other carriers. I used one sim card when I tried it and only utilized one of the sim slots as a result. T-Mo VoLTE just doesn't seem to have been certified for that variant.

kingstu

Jun 30, 2017
So T-Mobile WIFI calling works on this variant of the Z2 Play? If so that is good to know especially when traveling overseas even if some other advanced features don't work.

G1Hope

Nov 20, 2009
I have an XT1710-06 retla device and I can confirm that wifi calling with T-mobile does *NOT* work on my device. There is a setting to enable wifi calling, but it never seems to connect and all calls still go over mobile. This is 100% testable if I for instance go into a deep basement that has wifi but no cellular signal -- I can browse the internet but cannot make phone calls or SMS, even though I have wifi calling turned on.

This is probably related to why VoLTE doesn't work either.

Also (as mentioned in another thread) still no updates for it past February 7.1.1 update. No later security updates and no Oreo updates.

Chareze

Aug 13, 2018

Hi,
I'm super curious how did you get your Z2 Play to have VoLTE. I 've tried everything - new sim, IMEI of ATT branded phone, activated SIM on ATT phone, etc. , to no avail. I'm so frustrated and about to get another phone, because my HSPA signal is much weaker than LTE where I'm at and constantly have missed (straight to voicemail) or dropped calls. Please, let me know how did you get it to work.
Thanks

Vesaniaheim

Oct 14, 2017
Puebla
Maybe the problem is VolTE itself. As I tested. Unless both phones are with the same carrier and working good over 4G (good signal area) you can't get it working. At least in where I live that was true for a friend's phone and mine. So VolTE was good, until signal dropped hard. But impossible to work with other carriers.

Even it was good under Lineage OS and tested with Toxyc OS, but I saw the main thing is that 4G LTE should be firstly working fine. And same for anyone you call. Otherwise call will be normal. And for 4G LTE it depends on area support too.

Sorry for late reply

DumpResistor

Aug 31, 2018
I have an XT1710-06 retla device and I can confirm that wifi calling with T-mobile does *NOT* work on my device. There is a setting to enable wifi calling, but it never seems to connect and all calls still go over mobile. This is 100% testable if I for instance go into a deep basement that has wifi but no cellular signal -- I can browse the internet but cannot make phone calls or SMS, even though I have wifi calling turned on.

This is probably related to why VoLTE doesn't work either.

Also (as mentioned in another thread) still no updates for it past February 7.1.1 update. No later security updates and no Oreo updates.
Same phone (XT1710-06 retla, rooted stock ROM on Oreo), and wifi calling on Tmobile also doesn't work for me. I can enable it in Settings, but I cannot send SMS or make calls over wifi with no cell service. After a while (a few hours) I get a Moto Settings notification that it can't enable Wifi calling, with a message underneath that says "Enabling." I can't dismiss the notification, only snooze it for up to 2 hours, and after I disable wifi calling it does eventually go away after a couple days.

gdawg31

Aug 5, 2011
Your problem is because none of the XT1710 variations have the 600MHz Band 71. It is the most recently added band and very few phones currently out there support it yet. As far as the HD voice issues mentioned...both people on the call have to be using a Volte supported phone and then HD automatically activates.