[Unlocked][HOW-TO] Update ConceptMM + root + recovery + restore DRM functions

1,462 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,463

By istux, Senior Member on 12th January 2016, 07:33 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
WHAT YOU NEED
  • Bootloader unlocked
  • Some experience with Fastboot, Recovery and Flashtool
    If you don't know what an unlocked bootloader is and/or what we're talking about, just go to GENERAL forum and learn the basics.

WHAT YOU GET
  • Last Concept MM version
  • TWRP recovery
  • Root with SuperSU
  • All functions related to DRM keys (like taking a picture in low-light conditions) will start to work again

FIRST INSTALLATION
  1. Download the last FTF from HERE or HERE and flash it with the last Flashtool (select NO when it asks if you want to use FSC script)
  2. At the end of the flashing process, unplug the USB cable
  3. Click on the "BLU" icon of Flashtool and connect the phone (keep pressed vol.down button)
  4. Click on "RELOCK": when you see "Relock finished" press "Close"
  5. Ok now your bootloader is relocked and you can update your firmware
  6. Turn on your phone and connect to Wi-Fi
  7. Go to "Settings", then "About device" and select "Software update"
  8. Install and reboot your phone. Repeat this process as many times as an update is available!
  9. Download and move to internal memory of your phone these files:
    • SuperSU v2.65 from here
    • DRM restore v3 from here or here
    • Any other ZIP that should be flashed into your system (like Xposed installer, etc...)
  10. Turn off your device and open up Flashtool
  11. Click on the "BLU" icon of Flashtool and connect the phone (keep pressed vol.down button)
  12. Click on "UNLOCK": when you see "Unlock finished" press "Close"
  13. Ok now your bootloader is unlocked again
  14. Download on your PC the latest TWRP recovery from HERE and rename the file as recovery.img
  15. Enter fastboot mode via PC (turn off the device, press and hold vol.up and plug in the USB cable)
    and enter the following code in terminal:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
  16. Don't unplug the cable, because you need to enter the recovery from Concept bootloader menu you can see when you're in fastboot mode
  17. Select "Recovery mode" with the volume keys and press the power button to enter
  18. Make the following wipes:
    • Wipe cache
    • Wipe dalvik-cache
    • Wipe data (WARNING: This is mandatory! If you want the DRM restoration to work properly, you have to wipe data at least the first time)
  19. Ok now you can flash:
    • SuperSU
    • DRM restore v3
    • Any other ZIP that should be flashed into your system (like Xposed installer, etc...)
  20. Reboot (if it asks to istall SuperSU before rebooting, say NO)
  21. Enjoy!

NEXT UPDATES

Whenever you receive an update notification, you can upgrade without losing your data.
Just follow THESE INSTRUCTIONS by @ElakNovAlamak

Any other suggestion to improve this tutorial is welcome
The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to istux For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift istux Ad-Free

12th January 2016, 07:34 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Milano

More
F.A.Q.
  • How to boot to recovery?
    The only way I know with this kind of recovery, is to connect to PC in Fastboot in order to get the Concept bootloader menu and then select "Recovery mode" with the volume keys and press the power button to enter.
    Any other suggestion is welcome
  • I lost the backup at point 19, how could I upgrade?
    Make a backup of your data.
    Then you have to repeat ALL the process of the first installation and make all the updates in a row. It takes a long time. It's very painful, I know.
    At the end you can restore your data.
  • I come from an old Concept version, can I restore my data?
    Sure you can, but you won't be able to let the DRM restoration work properly. As I already stated at point 18, you need a full wipe at least one time.

Working DRM restoration proof (thanks to @cattolicboy for his pictures)

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to istux For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift istux Ad-Free
12th January 2016, 11:31 PM |#3  
Flag Århus
Thanks Meter: 47

More
Nvm.
13th January 2016, 09:29 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
A few questions.

Have you tried out the update part? I mean wiping, restoring the stock system backup, and then updating. Because when I tried restoring a clean system partition a few weeks ago, there was still an error during boot and the dm verity check failed. I did unroot before restoring as well, so the bootloader was stock. Might just be some mistake on my side.

Also, is the relock of the bootloader necessary? I seem to remember that updating worked fine while unlocked as long as the system partion remained untouched.
13th January 2016, 11:26 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Milano

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by H117

A few questions.

Have you tried out the update part? I mean wiping, restoring the stock system backup, and then updating. Because when I tried restoring a clean system partition a few weeks ago, there was still an error during boot and the dm verity check failed. I did unroot before restoring as well, so the bootloader was stock. Might just be some mistake on my side.

Also, is the relock of the bootloader necessary? I seem to remember that updating worked fine while unlocked as long as the system partion remained untouched.

1) Yes, I tested on my own device before writing the tutorial.
What kind of error did you get during boot?
DRM verity fails if you haven't relocked yet.

2)Necessary.
OTA update is disabled on every stock rom as long as the bootloader stays unlocked.
And Concept works like a stock rom.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to istux For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift istux Ad-Free
14th January 2016, 02:34 PM |#6  
Flag Ho Chi Minh
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Can any one make a zip install. Thanks
14th January 2016, 04:04 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDvnguyen

Can any one make a zip install. Thanks

+1 zip would be really cool especially prerooted! :thumbup:

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by istux

F.A.Q.

• How to boot to recovery?
    The only way I know with this kind of recovery, is to connect to PC in Fastboot in order to get the Concept bootloader menu and then select "Recovery mode" with the volume keys and press the power button to enter.
    Any other suggestion is welcome
  • I lost the backup at point 19, how could I upgrade?
    Make a backup of your data.
    Then you have to repeat ALL the process of the first installation and make all the updates in a row. It takes a long time. It's very painful, I know.
    At the end you can restore your data.
  • I come from an old Concept version, can I restore my data?
    Sure you can, but you won't be able to let the DRM restoration work properly. As I already stated at point 18, you need a full wipe at least one time.

Working DRM restoration proof (thanks to @cattolicboy for his pictures)

Do you know a method of rooting the concept mm after all the updates are completed? I'm personnally only interested in updates as long as root can be achieved.
17th January 2016, 05:28 PM |#8  
Flag Tallinn
Thanks Meter: 752

More
Outstanding tutorial. First time wiped system also, my mistake.
Full wipe but do not wipe system partition.
Thanx.
Proof:
The Following User Says Thank You to taaviu For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift taaviu Ad-Free
17th January 2016, 08:25 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Milano

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xman1

Do you know a method of rooting the concept mm after all the updates are completed? I'm personnally only interested in updates as long as root can be achieved.

If you've got an unlocked bootloader, any time just flash twrp via fastboot and soon after the last beta of superSU via recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by taaviu

Outstanding tutorial. First time wiped system also, my mistake.
Full wipe but do not wipe system partition.
Thanx.
Proof:

Thanks, I've just fixed the tutorial about which wipes to do
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to istux For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift istux Ad-Free
20th January 2016, 02:09 PM |#10  
Flag Varese
Thanks Meter: 48

More
I keep getting Google Play Services as force close whatever I do!

EDIT: Everything solved. Just had some ramdon crash with Contacs App, but I managed to solved too
20th January 2016, 02:12 PM |#11  
Flag Århus
Thanks Meter: 47

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xman1

+1 zip would be really cool especially prerooted! :thumbup:

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

I actually came here to ask the same question. But i do not know how difficult it is to create the zip. But packaged with supersu, xposed & twrp would be great. Then the only thing you need to flash besides that is the DRM fix. And it would just be so much easier for the users.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)