FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Bottleneck camera glass? Plastic used as camera protection instead of Gorilla Glass ?

175 posts
Thanks Meter: 15

By Evil_enc, Senior Member on 27th September 2014, 11:31 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi all,

I hope some people here have connections to Sony and can maybe raise this question. I noticed that some users complain that the camera "glass" on the camera (so the small round piece of glass which protects the camera) is actual not glass but vulnerable plastic. The front side as well as the back side of the smartphone are protected by Gorilla Glass 3 but the small piece of the camera is neither Gorilla Glass 3 nor Saphir Glass (even better than Gorilla Glass 3).

Check out his post on a Russian forum:
http://translate.google.de/translate...5942&sandbox=1

https://img.xda-cdn.com/RkWio6BmEX4NU8gu482ZuQfwryg=/http%3A%2F%2Fs7.directupload.net%2Fimages%2F140927%2Fyw2prin9.jpg

This guy basically tested the 3 pieces of glass (front, back and camera) with a needle and noticed that the camera glass was damaged afterwards and the front and back were fine. Let's not talk about it if this guy is an a**hole because he damages a sample device. Btw I am NOT the guy.

You can expand this post and see three pictures. I attached one picture which I got from a German forum.

Is it really true that Sony took weak plastic glass to protect the camera? This would be a big problem since the glass will become blurred after some time due to very small scratches. So after 1 year the quality of pictures will definitely not be the same.

Does anyone have further information or can raise this question to a Sony contact? I am sure sending an email to Sony will not deliver satisfying results since the question is too detailed.

Many thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg z3 compact scratch.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (199.7 KB, 4216 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Evil_enc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Evil_enc Ad-Free

27th September 2014, 12:36 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 148

More
Just tested this on the black part of the camera glass of my acro s and it also scratches relatively easy. Strange. You would think that for a piece of glass this small, they would at least use some good quality scratch-resistent glass.
27th September 2014, 11:34 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 49

More
AFAIK lens / lens guard is glass on both Z3 & Z3C. The anti-relflective / polarising coating is not part of the lens, like a polariser lens ... it's just a coating.
The Following User Says Thank You to mudnightoil For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mudnightoil Ad-Free
28th September 2014, 11:08 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudnightoil

AFAIK lens / lens guard is glass on both Z3 & Z3C. The anti-relflective / polarising coating is not part of the lens, like a polariser lens ... it's just a coating.

so it is actually glass but there is an anti reflective shield/foil/film above it?

If yes they should have put this under the glass... it will scratch easily. Would you suggest to protect it by a screen protector (a shield as well)?

Not very smart Sony!
28th September 2014, 11:25 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 458

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_enc

so it is actually glass but there is an anti reflective shield/foil/film above it?

If yes they should have put this under the glass... it will scratch easily. Would you suggest to protect it by a screen protector (a shield as well)?

Not very smart Sony!

Screen protectors, do NOT protect the camera, because it could and probably will affect the quality of your pictures.
In my opinion there is really not much to worry about. Who ever had their lens glass scratched that bad that you could see it on pictures?
The Following User Says Thank You to Dsteppa For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Dsteppa Ad-Free
28th September 2014, 12:46 PM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsteppa

Screen protectors, do NOT protect the camera, because it could and probably will affect the quality of your pictures.
In my opinion there is really not much to worry about. Who ever had their lens glass scratched that bad that you could see it on pictures?

Seeing as the camera glass is perfectly level with the surrounding glass, and the surrounding glass is perfectly level with frame, it could pose a problem. If you put the phone down and it slides a little bit, the smallest of dust particles could create micro scratches.
28th September 2014, 04:15 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 458

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by degraaff

Seeing as the camera glass is perfectly level with the surrounding glass, and the surrounding glass is perfectly level with frame, it could pose a problem. If you put the phone down and it slides a little bit, the smallest of dust particles could create micro scratches.

Picture of my Xperia Z that I have since February 2013

Taken with a macro lens, most of the dust that you see, you can barely see with your eyes.
12th October 2014, 11:41 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Any news on that? Does anyone has further information from Sony forums or did a scratch test?
12th October 2014, 02:07 PM |#9  

More
Quote:

Any news on that? Does anyone has further information from Sony forums or did a scratch test?

I'm not going to attempt it with mine :P
21st November 2014, 09:18 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:

Hi all,

I hope some people here have connections to Sony and can maybe raise this question. I noticed that some users complain that the camera "glass" on the camera (so the small round piece of glass which protects the camera) is actual not glass but vulnerable plastic. The front side as well as the back side of the smartphone are protected by Gorilla Glass 3 but the small piece of the camera is neither Gorilla Glass 3 nor Saphir Glass (even better than Gorilla Glass 3).

Check out his post on a Russian forum:
http://translate.google.de/translate...5942&sandbox=1

https://img.xda-cdn.com/RkWio6BmEX4NU8gu482ZuQfwryg=/http%3A%2F%2Fs7.directupload.net%2Fimages%2F140927%2Fyw2prin9.jpg

This guy basically tested the 3 pieces of glass (front, back and camera) with a needle and noticed that the camera glass was damaged afterwards and the front and back were fine. Let's not talk about it if this guy is an a**hole because he damages a sample device. Btw I am NOT the guy.

You can expand this post and see three pictures. I attached one picture which I got from a German forum.

Is it really true that Sony took weak plastic glass to protect the camera? This would be a big problem since the glass will become blurred after some time due to very small scratches. So after 1 year the quality of pictures will definitely not be the same.

Does anyone have further information or can raise this question to a Sony contact? I am sure sending an email to Sony will not deliver satisfying results since the question is too detailed.

Many thanks in advance!

The Z3 does not use gorilla glass.... these brands and types use it http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/e...s-with-gorilla
Sony hasn't got gorilla glass on any of its products according to corning.

Camera glass should have been saffier glass if you ask me.
21st November 2014, 09:04 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 69

More
The Z3 Compact indeed has lousy camera glass quality. I don't think it's glass, it's plastic, as you will be able to deform it using only your nail and pressing it. Here's my sample. I was having another problem with the camera, as you can see the big spots, it's the glue letting go or something. As for the little scratches, they're real and you can see them with the naked eye. They're from day-to-day use for two-three weeks, just putting it on my desk and trying to swipe messages while it's laying on my desk or table, like I'm used to with the Galaxy Nexus.

I'm really sad Sony still cheaped out on this. Why didn't they just use Dragontrail X on both sides and sapphire glass? It's certainly in their budget seeing these pretty high prices, so there's no reason not to do this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to E66666666 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift E66666666 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
camera, camera glass, gorilla glass, protection

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)