Z3C does not have a device name anymore in the twrp

Search This thread

00pflaume

Apr 11, 2018
I have the weird problem, that my device seems to have no device name anymore, which causes that when I am trying to install a rom it tells me:

"This package is for device: D5803, D5833, z3c, aries; this device is ."

What I tried to fix it:

• Trying several twrp kernels (different versions), did not change anything except that on some versions it said that my device is called "" (as device name only two question marks were shown instead of nothing)
  • Flashing again the kernel I used before and trying to install the old rom, which caused the same error message
  • Trying many other kernels, including the 3 latest versions of nailyk, the latest kernel directly from twrp, the kernel included in omnirom zip
  • I tried to flash again the default sony rom via Emma. Flashing of the default worked and I was able to use it, but as soon as I flashed again a twrp rom my device did put out the error message when I tried to install a rom.

What did I do before that happened:
I tried to flash carbonrom (https://get.carbonrom.org/device-z3c.html) onto the device, the version which was released on the 10th April (seems to have been deleted), the recovery menu did not pop up it just restarted several times (I should mention here, that I was never able to boot into the recovery via keys or adb (just the normal system did boot up when I used the command). I only were able to enter the recovery on other kernel images, when no system was installed and the recovery just popped up). So I tried to flash the recovery of the version which was released on the 5th of April, it did change nothing.
Then I tried installing omnirom (https://xdaforums.com/z3-compact/orig-development/oreo-unofficial-omnirom-t3696536) using the kernel from "https://releases.nailyk.fr/twrp/". I finally was able to boot into the recovery and to install omnirom. It worked perfectly, but I forgot to install the gapps, so I reflashed the kernel (because of the boot into recovery problems I mentioned before, to get back into the recovery). When I tried to install the gapps nano, after I reinstalled omnirom it said, that my architecture was not supported (I downloaded the right one (arm 32bit)). Then I tried to install gapps stock. Same error. I read online that it was a bug of newer twrp, which caused that problems on some systems. So I tried a few versions of nailyks kernel and the version 2017-11-21 installed my gapps and I was able to flash them. At that point I tried to flash carbonrom via nailyks kernel (I was able to install the 5th April version. The 10th April version had an endless installation (actually I think the real installation never did start)) and then using the included kernel from the zip to boot. And it did not boot. So I flashed again nailyks kernel. I think after that the problem happened (I am not absolutely sure if I tried something else before that happened (I am forgetting many things)).

Also I shut mention that I wiped Dalvik / ART Cache, System, Cache, Data Internal Storage two times instead of just Dalvik / ART Cache

Last edited:

00pflaume

Apr 11, 2018
About carbonrom, that build was faulty. It's been fixed with the newer one.
Which keys do you press to boot into recovery?
I tried the volume up as well as the volume down button several times as soon as the notification light turned purple. I even tested the camera button. It never booted into recovery mode. And also when I tried entering the recovery via adb I had no luck. It just rebooted.

marcogiannetta

Sep 29, 2012
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Xperia XZ2
I tried the volume up as well as the volume down button several times as soon as the notification light turned purple. I even tested the camera button. It never booted into recovery mode. And also when I tried entering the recovery via adb I had no luck. It just rebooted.

Try to completely shutdown your phone (press power + volume up until it vibrates three to four times), press power + volume down until it vibrates, then release power button. TWRP screen should appear.
That's the way I've been entering TWRP since I unlocked my boootloader.

00pflaume

Apr 11, 2018
Try to completely shutdown your phone (press power + volume up until it vibrates three to four times), press power + volume down until it vibrates, then release power button. TWRP screen should appear.
That's the way I've been entering TWRP since I unlocked my boootloader.
Also with that tip I am unable to boot into recovery. I noticed that the notification light turns from purple to orange, before it restarts (it might just be restarting because no os is installed right now)

marcogiannetta

Sep 29, 2012
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Xperia XZ2
Also with that tip I am unable to boot into recovery. I noticed that the notification light turns from purple to orange, before it restarts (it might just be restarting because no os is installed right now)

That's really weird. How do you flash recovery?
There are two ways:
-fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
-fastboot flash fotakernel recovery.img
I don't remember the one I used, but you could try both.