[guide] [root] [unlock bootloader] [ta backup] noob easy

Search This thread

Hnk1

Dec 23, 2012
Newcastle Upon Tyne
OnePlus 5
Moto G6
Hello Everyone

I understand that many of the users have tough time rooting their device and thus I have decided to look into Rooting using Exploit method over USB commands rather than flashing ROM. I would just look into what could be done as there are few differences between Z3 Compact device series but all use the same Snapdragon 801. This guide is intended for UNLOCKED & LOCKED BOOTLOADER. Make sure you check each method if it supports locked/unlocked bootloader or not. In case it is not mentioned, it is to be understood that it supports locked bootloader as well. However, if the method fails, please provide feedback and also update SuperSU in the script files.

All Credits to the developers for their tools!

HTML:
 I take no responsibility for world wars, broken phones, flying machines, 
UFO invasions, bricked phones, dead sd card . If you agree to go ahead with this, 
it is your choice and no blame should come to any developer/contributor whatsoever

PREREQUISITE

-USB DEBUGGING

For this guide to work, make sure usb debugging is enabled.
Go to Settings> About>Build Number> tap it 7 times and "Developer Options" should appear in settings.
In Developer Options> Enable USB Debugging.
-USB DRIVERS
For these I suggest use Flashtool. However if you still have problem. I would update a guide for that as well
http://www.flashtool.net/index.php

METHOD 1 (Kitkat/Lollipop. Unlocked/Locked Bootloaders)

1.Download latest SuperSU from HERE
2.Place supersu in your sd card
3.Install recovery from the link HERE and use the method as stated in the thread.
4.Once booted into recovery, flash supersu.zip. Make sure it is 2.37 or above for LP.
5.Done

Check FAQ 1

How to make a TA backup.

1. Download the latest version of Backup TA from here DOWNLOAD HERE
2. Extract the ZIP file to a folder location of your choosing.
3. Navigate to the folder location of Backup TA.
4. Make sure no other script or application which is using ADB is running.
5. Make sure the device is booted in normal mode (the way you normally use it).
6. Run Backup-TA.bat
7. Read the last paragraph of the license before continuing.
8. Read the information and follow the instructions given by the tool.

Someone pointed out that the script needs root to work.

UNLOCK bootloader from Official Website
http://developer.sonymobile.com/unlockbootloader/unlock-yourboot-loader/

Please note! It will only be possible to unlock the boot loader for certain releases of this model. You can check if it is possible to unlock the boot loader of your device by checking the service menu.
Open the Contacts app.
Click the menu button in the top right.
Click Settings.
Long press (for about 5 seconds) somewhere in the empty space just above soft key bar, and then release your finger. A button named Enter service code will then appear in the same area (this may take a few tries).
Click Enter service code. A dialler will appear.
Enter *#*#7378423#*#* in the dialler.
Tap Service info > Configuration > Rooting Status. If Bootloader unlock allowed says Yes, then you can continue with the next step. If it says No, or if the status is missing, your device cannot be unlocked(bootloader).

If your bootloader can be unlocked, proceed to the above website and follow the on screen instructions. You do not need to download full adb , just download the platform tools attached with this guide.

Once you have working drivers, unlock bootloader, made backups and have usb enabled, you can proceed to the actual rooting process.
Backs are highly recommended but not a must .

There are a few methods due to differences in devices and one might work on all, one or none. The methods are arranged in preferred order but not necessarily to work in the same order.

METHOD 2: Kitkat Unlocked Bootloader
Download boot.img from attachment
unlock bootloader via Sony
Flash boot.img via flashtool or fastboot commands

METHOD#3
Use Kingo Root app

Enable USB debugging and run the application.

Download from here
http://www.kingoapp.com/

You can use apk file as well but PC method is more effective.

METHOD 4
CHINESE METHOD
http://www.mgyun.com/en/GetVRoot

KingUser be installed.
Install SuperSU from market and replace Kinguser with SuperSU in SuperSU options

METHOD 5

Run kingo and Vroot at the same time using a PC!
At times this works with few devices

ROOT CHECKER BASIC FROM PLAYSTORE to check if you have root.

Attachments

• platform-tools.zip
    10.3 MB · Views: 1,759
Last edited:

Hnk1

Dec 23, 2012
Newcastle Upon Tyne
OnePlus 5
Moto G6
Reserved FAQ

FAQ 1
If you do not wish to flash recovery and only want to gain root. Use boot command instead of flash. Or delete files as stated in the recovery guide

I have an error/question!

• stuck at cleaning up
    Close the tool and run again.
    error: more than one device or emulator
    Check if you have installed any windows android emulater like bluestacks etc
  • stuck at Waiting for device
    Make sure device is connected
    Make sure USB-debugging is enabled
    Make sure no Sony PC Companion or other Sony software is running
    Make sure you have adb drivers installed
    Make sure the computer is permanently authorized for connection on the phone (you get a dialog the first time you connect)
    .[*]How to unroot?
    Flash factory firmware in flashtool. Exclude everything except system. No need to wipe anything.
    [*]Will I keep root after factory reset?
    Yes

Last edited:

kvi

Jun 23, 2009
"PREREQUISITE : USB DEBUGGING + USB DRIVERS"
"Firstly I suggest you make a full backup of your applications/data especially TA backup."

As you make a backup of TA without root?
Backup TA -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2292598
Q: Do I need root for this?
A: Yes, you do need root for both backup and restore to work. I would advice to use @DooMLoRD's excellent Easy Rooting Toolkit for this, when not already rooted.

Hnk1

Dec 23, 2012
Newcastle Upon Tyne
OnePlus 5
Moto G6
"PREREQUISITE : USB DEBUGGING + USB DRIVERS"
"Firstly I suggest you make a full backup of your applications/data especially TA backup."

As you make a backup of TA without root?
Backup TA -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2292598
Q: Do I need root for this?
A: Yes, you do need root for both backup and restore to work. I would advice to use @DooMLoRD's excellent Easy Rooting Toolkit for this, when not already rooted.

Thank you so much for your feedback. The guide is still in process and I would make necessary changes as well once it is completed.

Making TA is a suggestion and NOT by any means a step to the process. I am going to work a bit as it needs editing at places

UPDATE :
Guide updated

Last edited:

Hnk1

Dec 23, 2012
Newcastle Upon Tyne
OnePlus 5
Moto G6
waichai said:
Hi Hnk1,
Sorry bothering you.
I have read so many threads on xda, and they all have too many steps and risk. I found your thread is simple and easiest to follow.
I have read your thread from http://xdaforums.com/z3-tablet-compact/general/root-flashing-construction-t3091763

My device: SGP621 (LTE version) Build number 23.1.A.0.167 Kitkat 4.4.4. Bootloader is Locked.

I would like to root and TA backup. Can I just follow these step from your tutorial below? Thanks.
PREREQUISITE..............................................

Firstly always quote me in the right forum and NEVER ASK me questions in PM. If you next time do it, I will simply ignore.

Well, The recovery clearly states it works for your device so go ahead and flash it.

waichai

Jul 7, 2007
Firstly always quote me in the right forum and NEVER ASK me questions in PM. If you next time do it, I will simply ignore.

Well, The recovery clearly states it works for your device so go ahead and flash it.

I apologize for the PM. I should have read your signature. Thank you for your reply.

-Zeta-

Nov 17, 2011
I am on 4.4.4 and 23.0.1.A.0.167. I tried method 1,3,5 and none of them works, i thinks it's because of the 23.0.1.A.0.167 is not rootable using the exploit method ?

Reactions: yan13xz

Boki_Srb

Feb 14, 2014
Niš
I have unlocked bootloader, by oficiall way (Sony site). Phone is full reseted now. Can I back all data, whole system? I've made backup of all on the internal mem with TRWP. Will everything works normaly after that?

EricSP

Jan 2, 2012
So if I access the service menu in the root section it says I cannot unlock the bootloader.

Is there a way to do so through unofficial means?

I did backup my TA so I just need to be able to do that :/

So far I'm unable to unlock the bootloader and never upload a custom recovery.

My model is D6603 with version 6.x of Android OS.

Is the capacity to to unlock the Bootloader bound to the android version?

I heard that I could root the phone if I downgrade to an older OS version and then do it... anybody can confirm?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello Everyone

I understand that many of the users have tough time rooting their device and thus I have decided to look into Rooting using Exploit method over USB commands rather than flashing ROM. I would just look into what could be done as there are few differences between Z3 Compact device series but all use the same Snapdragon 801. This guide is intended for UNLOCKED & LOCKED BOOTLOADER. Make sure you check each method if it supports locked/unlocked bootloader or not. In case it is not mentioned, it is to be understood that it supports locked bootloader as well. However, if the method fails, please provide feedback and also update SuperSU in the script files.

All Credits to the developers for their tools!

HTML:
     I take no responsibility for world wars, broken phones, flying machines, 
    UFO invasions, bricked phones, dead sd card . If you agree to go ahead with this, 
    it is your choice and no blame should come to any developer/contributor whatsoever

PREREQUISITE

-USB DEBUGGING

For this guide to work, make sure usb debugging is enabled.
    Go to Settings> About>Build Number> tap it 7 times and "Developer Options" should appear in settings.
    In Developer Options> Enable USB Debugging.
    -USB DRIVERS
    For these I suggest use Flashtool. However if you still have problem. I would update a guide for that as well
    http://www.flashtool.net/index.php

METHOD 1 (Kitkat/Lollipop. Unlocked/Locked Bootloaders)

1.Download latest SuperSU from HERE
    2.Place supersu in your sd card
    3.Install recovery from the link HERE and use the method as stated in the thread.
    4.Once booted into recovery, flash supersu.zip. Make sure it is 2.37 or above for LP.
    5.Done

Check FAQ 1

How to make a TA backup.

1. Download the latest version of Backup TA from here DOWNLOAD HERE
    2. Extract the ZIP file to a folder location of your choosing.
    3. Navigate to the folder location of Backup TA.
    4. Make sure no other script or application which is using ADB is running.
    5. Make sure the device is booted in normal mode (the way you normally use it).
    6. Run Backup-TA.bat
    7. Read the last paragraph of the license before continuing.
    8. Read the information and follow the instructions given by the tool.

Someone pointed out that the script needs root to work.

UNLOCK bootloader from Official Website
    http://developer.sonymobile.com/unlockbootloader/unlock-yourboot-loader/

Please note! It will only be possible to unlock the boot loader for certain releases of this model. You can check if it is possible to unlock the boot loader of your device by checking the service menu.
    Open the Contacts app.
    Click the menu button in the top right.
    Click Settings.
    Long press (for about 5 seconds) somewhere in the empty space just above soft key bar, and then release your finger. A button named Enter service code will then appear in the same area (this may take a few tries).
    Click Enter service code. A dialler will appear.
    Enter *#*#7378423#*#* in the dialler.
    Tap Service info > Configuration > Rooting Status. If Bootloader unlock allowed says Yes, then you can continue with the next step. If it says No, or if the status is missing, your device cannot be unlocked(bootloader).

If your bootloader can be unlocked, proceed to the above website and follow the on screen instructions. You do not need to download full adb , just download the platform tools attached with this guide.

Once you have working drivers, unlock bootloader, made backups and have usb enabled, you can proceed to the actual rooting process.
    Backs are highly recommended but not a must .

There are a few methods due to differences in devices and one might work on all, one or none. The methods are arranged in preferred order but not necessarily to work in the same order.

METHOD 2: Kitkat Unlocked Bootloader
    Download boot.img from attachment
    unlock bootloader via Sony
    Flash boot.img via flashtool or fastboot commands

METHOD#3
    Use Kingo Root app

Enable USB debugging and run the application.

Download from here
    http://www.kingoapp.com/

You can use apk file as well but PC method is more effective.

METHOD 4
    CHINESE METHOD
    http://www.mgyun.com/en/GetVRoot

KingUser be installed.
    Install SuperSU from market and replace Kinguser with SuperSU in SuperSU options

METHOD 5

Run kingo and Vroot at the same time using a PC!
    At times this works with few devices

ROOT CHECKER BASIC FROM PLAYSTORE to check if you have root.
    I am on 4.4.4 and 23.0.1.A.0.167. I tried method 1,3,5 and none of them works, i thinks it's because of the 23.0.1.A.0.167 is not rootable using the exploit method ?