AMOLED screens and Xperia devices

Would the lack of AMOLED make you consider a different brand of Android?

• Yes

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • No

Votes: 105 74.5%

• Total voters
Search This thread

mudnightoil

Jul 22, 2014
Frankly that is a laughable statement, as Samsung Android devices are anything but smooth given their TouchWIZ-based bloat.

The Xperia Z3 is supposed to be using Triluminous technology that includes quantum dots. That will probably have to be confirmed once the phones are released, since in the past there have been Triluminous phones without incorporating quantum dots, but the possibility exists.

While there are some things I like about AMOLED, unless you have content optimized for it, it's very battery inefficient. And the most popular smartphone applications are generally things like Facebook, web browsing, and a few other things that still don't offer a "dark" mode optimized for AMOLED, that minimizes the number of lit background pixels. White backgrounds are not a friend of AMOLED. .

1) Your statement is laughable, as it's clear I was talking about the display's motion clarity.

2) None of the Xperia devices use quantom dot filters, and neither does the Z3 or Z3C. Triluminos is just a brand name.

npaladin2000

Jul 6, 2009
Wappingers Falls
Last edited:

mudnightoil

Jul 22, 2014

1) Absolute nonsense, and you know it. Any freezes in UI are just that. The refresh rate of the screen or pixel response is not impacted whatsoever. Anyway, Touchwiz UI has absolutely nothing to do with this thread or the point I was making. This is exactly why I was saying people seem to base whether they like or dislike one display technology on whether they're a fan of the company using it, or not.

2) That article is pure speculation, and dates from nearly 18 months ago. The promotional slide it links as evidence is purely related to Sony's TVs. The quote from the Sony Philippines head saying that it would come to Xperia devices does not back up this assertion, as he merely says "Triluminos" displays will come to the Xperia line, which they have. As I said, it's just a marketing term. The Z, Z1, Z2 and Z3 series categorically do not have QD filters, and given how aggressively priced the Z3 and particularly Z3 Compact are and the huge loss Sony Mobile made (mainly due to mid range models), I can't imagine Sony will be clamouring to increase the bill of materials for Z4 or Z5 significantly, by using a QD filter for the screen or AMOLED.

npaladin2000

Jul 6, 2009
Wappingers Falls
Umm the Z3 series hasn't even started shipping yet, and yet you are stating they "categorically do not"? Seems like no one is going to know until they test the things... Unless of course they're just out to pump up Samsung anyway. Thanks for hurting your credibility.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

mudnightoil

Jul 22, 2014
Umm the Z3 series hasn't even started shipping yet, and yet you are stating they "categorically do not"? Seems like no one is going to know until they test the things... Unless of course they're just out to pump up Samsung anyway. Thanks for hurting your credibility.

Since you just seem to be trolling now, I'll put you on ignore. The Z3 has had numerous fairly exhaustive reviews posted already, as has the Z3C. Both have very similar colour gamuts etc to the previous models in the Xperia Z series, and indeed other IPS and conventially lit / filtered phone screens. They don't match the colour profile or gamut of a QD augmented LCD. Besides, Sony would have been beating their drum about it. Oh, and I think QD Vision probably would have proudly announced that their technology was "powering the latest generation of Sony Xperia smartphones"; they haven't, because it's not.

P.S. Only Samsung product I've ever owned is one of the first LCD TVs they made, which I inherited years ago.

Last edited:

se1000

Feb 14, 2011
Since you just seem to be trolling now, I'll put you on ignore. The Z3 has had numerous fairly exhaustive reviews posted already, as has the Z3C. Both have very similar colour gamuts etc to the previous models in the Xperia Z series, and indeed other IPS and conventially lit / filtered phone screens. They don't match the colour profile or gamut of a QD augmented LCD. Besides, Sony would have been beating their drum about it. Oh, and I think QD Vision probably would have proudly announced that their technology was "powering the latest generation of Sony Xperia smartphones"; they haven't, because it's not.

P.S. Only Samsung product I've ever owned is one of the first LCD TVs they made, which I inherited years ago.

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/S...alaxy-S5-vs-One-M8-vs-iPhone-5s_id3747/page/2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS5DlQIhLTM&t=4m20s

npaladin2000

Jul 6, 2009
Wappingers Falls
Wow not to mention 80% of the to-date responses in this poll don't care if a screen is AMOLED or not. Yep, citing facts and sources and truth is trolling, yes-sir-ee-bob.

Back to real life, Sony looks to have a good screen going, I do like how they've left enough configuration in there to re-calibrate the screen temperature oneself if one feels motivated to do so. Seems like everyone's doing wonky color tuning in an attempt to emulate the oversaturation that came from Samsung's Galaxy line.

npaladin2000

Jul 6, 2009
Wappingers Falls
People keep talking about AMOLED not being accurate. But, is that not just Samsung choosing to over saturate the colors and not the problem of AMOLED?
That's exactly what it is, AMOLED can be accurate, but it also can show hypersaturated colors, and for a while Samsung used that as a visual differentiator for their product. After all, you need to be able to show a difference in order to sell it.

hansip87

Jan 14, 2011
Jakarta
The lack of AMOLED is currently the only reason I haven't switched to a Sony device yet, so I just wanted a thread to gauge interest in having AMOLED screens on future devices.

I know the pros and cons of both AMOLED and LCD/IPS so there's not much point discussing those unless you really want to.
AMOLED or not, if the battery can take the beating then why not? I have used RAZR Maxx before so i know how AMOLED screen behaves. XZU user here and after some time when i came back to view my friend's Note 3, my eyes got tired of it the minute when i watched it playing PokoPang (i know2).. So you can't force all of us to go to AMOLED, some people prefer LCD more than AMOLED. Plus every professional monitor available in the market is using IPS so no AMOLED is ok for most professional.

But truly, the point is why do you have to mind the screen so much? if you can get much better battery life with Z3 then why must persist on the screen? if the IPS is low grade on the Sony then yes AMOLED is a must, but the truth is, IPS these days is very-very good so no point for debating about the screen.

Bäcker

Jan 4, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S23
Proffessional monitors are IPS as AMOLED is not widely available in big screen sizes - and if it is available it is too expensive, at least for now.

AMOLED is leaping in terms of improvements. The current crop (Note4) is already superior in almost every way, compared to current IPS offerings. Better accuracy, brighter, more efficient.

The next years will be very impressive with quantum dots and further AMOLED enhancements.

zombiej79

Feb 25, 2011
The triluminous display Sony uses is pretty good I like them good all around performance my vita has the old amoled screen the blacks are better but not worth the extra cost if you ask me

abhinav.tella

Jan 8, 2011
Minneapolis
OLED uses more power on white backgrounds such as web pages. Blue OLED still does not have a large lifespan that is why Samsung uses a huge blue sub pixel. Depending on your usage/brightness you can easily get "noticable" screen burn due to wear on the blue sub pixel before your 2 year contract ends. Screen burn is inevitable in the long run especially near the clock, you may not easily notice it at first though.

I'm happy with LCDs. (Personal Opinion)

PHOLED-performance.jpg

power.png

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2013
Fluorescent vs Incandescent

When I buy light bulbs for reading I only get incandescent or halogen. The comparison is similar, in my opinion, as AMOLED is comfortable the way incandescent light is, and LED LCD IPS is more like staring into a fluorescent light.
I have tried many cell phones and I must agree with the original poster. Lack of AMOLED keeps me from buying Sony phones. I appreciate Sony industrial design more than what other companies are coming up with and I would buy an AMOLED Xperia for sure.
I don't care about the battery consumption or burn-in. I had burn-in on my Nexus One (after a year...) but not on any AMOLED device since.
This debate could also be cross referenced with Plasma TVs vs LCD or LED - both of the latter are also akin to staring at a fluorescent rectangle.
But that's just my opinion.

nedooo

Dec 26, 2010
Sarajevo
Amoled can be better for the battery but I dislike the screen burn that occurs after a year or so. (Can vary based on how much phone is used.)

Sent from my SM-G900P

After a year if you barely use your phone, power users get burn in after few months...only reason I find AMOLED iferior to LCD...

---------- Post added at 02:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 AM ----------

God i hope sony will never use amoled, thats one of the reasons i stay away from galaxy devices. Burn in issues are pretty rampant

+1

abhinav.tella

Jan 8, 2011
Minneapolis
Just because it's the minority doesn't make it inherently bad. It's less used because it's more expensive, which is why Samsung and Motorola devices are usually more expensive than the others.

It has its tradeoffs but it also has benefits, less battery draw, more comfortable on the eyes, better contrast (imo). A lot of it is subjective, but I just want to raise awareness of the benefits and hopefully get more people asking the companies for AMOLED.

AMOLED is still way off in replacing LCDs in the near future as even LCD tech is making major advances. In white backgrounds such as Web Ambled still eats way more battery in some cases 2x-3x more. As for burn it's not gone. Burn in occurs due to uneven wearing of OLEDs. The blue still has way shorter life than red or green. Only way around it is to use a white OLED with blue filters like some new LG OLED TVs do but apparently that is still not perfected as it has some weird issues. If you are on a 2 year contract and are a power user with much screen time, you will at least get mild burn in easily before contract ends, especially at the navigation and clock areas.

AMOLED has great blacks and better battery on dark backgrounds but in other areas LCD is still preferrable, it's not like LCD innovation just stopped or anything.... Take a look at IGZO displays now being used in some devices. AMOLED being better on eyes? Not really depends on personal preference, in most cases other than the deep blacks you can't really tell.

In the future OLED may take over from LCDs but right now it's still not ready for prime time in terms of long term usage... Low yields, low life span and high cost. Rembert OLEDs have been there since the late 60s or 70s and only recently became viable for mass use, they are still in their infancy.

I think there is too much hype with AMOLED at present.

I like Samsung but avoid their phones because of AMOLED lol. The Z3 has pretty great display other than the bluish white point due to factory calibration.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    God i hope sony will never use amoled, thats one of the reasons i stay away from galaxy devices. Burn in issues are pretty rampant
    The lack of AMOLED is currently the only reason I haven't switched to a Sony device yet, so I just wanted a thread to gauge interest in having AMOLED screens on future devices.

I know the pros and cons of both AMOLED and LCD/IPS so there's not much point discussing those unless you really want to.
    As the Note4 Display has just been tested as the best mobile display currently available, there is no reasonable argument not to opt for AMOLED in the future - except availability and price.

This includes brightness, color accuracy AND brightness as well as efficiency!

Based on our extensive Lab tests and measurements, the Galaxy Note 4 is the Best performing Smartphone display that we have ever tested. It matches or breaks new records in Smartphone display performance for: Highest Absolute Color Accuracy, Highest Screen Resolution, Infinite Contrast Ratio, Highest Peak Brightness, Highest Contrast Rating in Ambient Light, and the smallest Brightness Variation with Viewing Angle. Its Color Management capability provides multiple Color Gamuts – a major advantage that is not currently provided by any of the other leading Smartphones

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note4_ShootOut_1.htm
    AMOLED looks real nice but between burn in and extra battery drain on light colors, I'll stick with LCD.

As the Note4 Display has just been tested as the best mobile display currently available, there is no reasonable argument not to opt for AMOLED in the future - except availability and price.

This includes brightness, color accuracy AND brightness as well as efficiency!

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note4_ShootOut_1.htm

Indeed, people seem to be either grossly misinformed or because X brand uses LCD instead of OLED, they've either become a fanboy of the former or opponent of the latter. Samsung's newer AMOLEDs are hands down the best mobile displays available. There isn't even any competition, to claim otherwise is silly.

They offer far better blacks, contrast ratio (which is vital on a mobile - daylight and outdoors), much wider colour gamut (and accuracy) than any *mobile* IPS panel and lower power draw. Aside from this, pixel responsiveness is effectively instant; for motion, games and overall fluidity and responsiveness they are MASSIVELY better than IPS .. this is the reason the Samsung phones seem so smooth (not because they're faster or have some kind of software or driver based special sauce). Also, because the panel is less brittle, it's less likely to suffer catastrophic damage or the glass/plastic cover smash or crack. They also use fewer toxic substances than LCDs.

As far as I'm concerned, the only other game in town is Sharp's IZGO technology. This because it can potentially eliminate bezels much more easily than competing display tech (see latest Sharp phones), and it reduces IPS-like panels' power draw.

The Quantom Dot filters in Amazon's Kindle tablet do improve colours and blacks a little, but it's really expensive at the moment, and is perhaps a better partner for VA panels, which have much deeper blacks and better contrast than IPS (Sony uses QD filters in their Triluminos VA panel TVs). Also they use Cadmium Selenide, and Cadmium is a very nasty substance.

Emissive Quantum Dot (once they have eliminated Cadmium) is perhaps the holy grail, in a few years time, since it should have none of the longevity issues of OLEDs, and all of the low power, (potentially) low cost, high gamut, high responsiveness benefits.

Anyway, for now I'll be happy with my Z3 Compact that'll be arriving early next week, and use it to complement my Jolla, hopefully with a Sailfish port in due time .... but a Samsung AMOLED screen on a Z4 or 5 Compact would only make it more desirable, in my view.