FORUMS

DRM Function Restore

107 posts
Thanks Meter: 41

By vidge1111, Senior Member on 7th January 2015, 11:48 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/cros...s-drm-t2930672
This page contains the latest zip file to restore drm functions. All you need to do now is to do a factory reset and flash the zip,no more back and forth with firmware versions and such.

Like so many others, I unlocked my Z3 D6653's bootloader before Sony made the announcement on their page that unlocking the bootloader will result in losing DRM keys and therefore also losing nice phone features like x-reality, super vivid, low light camera algorithms, Bravia Engine etc..

After a few months of waiting, someone from here actually may have found some sort of solution (or workaround) .. view full thread here if you're interested: http://forum.xda-developers.com/cros...s-drm-t2930672

The instructions for Sony Xperia's vary.. but after a handful of trial and error, I managed to get mine to work by following this instruction from the same thread above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boolee

1.Flash ftf file "23.0.1.A.5.77" by Flashtool. - Wipe appslog, cache, data - and reset customizations
2.Relock bootloader by Flashtool.
3.Flash ftf file "23.0.1.A.5.77" by Flashtool AGAIN. - Wipe appslog, cache, data
4.Unlock bootloader by Flashtool.
5.Flash boot.img "AndroPlusKernel v12" by Fastboot.
6.Install DRM restore zip by TWRP.
7.reboot.

Requirements:
Unlocked bootloader
flashtool
.77 based firmware for D6653 (I tried several firmwares but the one that worked for me was the .77 firmware for PH market downloaded from flashtool)
AndrosPlusKernel v15 (extracted boot.img from the zip to be flashed)
DRM restore zip from that original thread above (placed in sd card)

Note - Key here is to not restart/boot the phone after each step in the instructions above. Just keep phone off and unplugged after each step. I realized that leaving the phone connected in flashmode for a while will make it boot, so I just unplugged it while waiting for flashtool to prepare FTF for flashing. Then plug it in again with vol down button pressed.

Results:
Unlike my previous attempts of trying to recover DRM functions, I did not see any difference using the Album app, no matter what settings I changed in display. (xreality, super vivid etc) But after following the steps above, I immediately see changes when I change the display settings. Changing the settings and going back to the Album app, I see that the pictures will darken or lighten a bit depending on what I choose. I have yet to try Miracast or PS4 remote as I do not have any of those hardware to test.

Warning:
Now, I am not saying that this will work for everybody. It worked for me and hopefully it will also work for those who have gone and unlocked their BL and ended up with a phone with lesser features. I am not saying that you should go ahead and unlock your BL.

Notes:
If you're willing to try the steps, you may want to thank the original thread starter from the link above. Also, please post feedbacks here and give info of what version of Z3 you are using. The original thread is a bit of a jungle with all Z users posting all sorts of info.
I am not taking any credit for the instructions or tools, just merely passing information along to my fellow z3 users.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to vidge1111 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vidge1111 Ad-Free
7th January 2015, 01:01 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
The drm function has also worked for me on. 77 firmware.
Thanks mate taking your time to post instructions for others benefit

Sent from my D6653 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to mias1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mias1 Ad-Free
7th January 2015, 03:31 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 36

More
If I haven't unlocked my bootloader how do I unlock without losing drm Keys?

The Following User Says Thank You to veeny101 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift veeny101 Ad-Free
7th January 2015, 03:36 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by veeny101

If I haven't unlocked my bootloader how do I unlock without losing drm Keys?

As of the moment, there is no way of unlocking BL without losing drm keys.
7th January 2015, 03:37 PM |#5  

More
So I have to unlock, lose my drm Keys then follow this steps to get it back?

7th January 2015, 03:48 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Wait for more feedback from other users before you go ahead and do that.
The Following User Says Thank You to vidge1111 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vidge1111 Ad-Free
7th January 2015, 03:49 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Quote:

This is NOT really restore DRM !
Once you UL all DRM will be destroy.

This only copy a patched drm lib so the drm function work again, so drm "function" restore.
The Following User Says Thank You to johan8 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift johan8 Ad-Free
7th January 2015, 04:23 PM |#8  

More
Ok. So how's the low light camera?

7th January 2015, 04:29 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 79

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by johan8

This is NOT really restore DRM !
Once you UL all DRM will be destroy.

This only copy a patched drm lib so the drm function work again, so drm "function" restore.

Any way to compare DRM vs. patched DRM?
8th January 2015, 09:03 AM |#10  
Flag Somewhere you can't imagine...
Thanks Meter: 2,364

Donate to Me
More
Due to it being unique for every device, it will always compare differently.
8th January 2015, 01:53 PM |#11  
Flag Milan
Thanks Meter: 240

More
I have seen this a couple of days ago, I was actually wondering if Remote Play (PS4) gets restored as well. I know it is not specified in the patch thread, but would be the only feature left out from this fix! Has anyone tried to use it?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)