FORUMS

[MOD][Z3] MultiROM v33x

3,373 posts
Thanks Meter: 9,807

Post Reply Email Thread
MultiROM is a one-of-a-kind multi-boot mod. It can boot any Android ROM as well as other systems like Ubuntu Touch, once they are ported to that device. Besides booting from device's internal memory, MultiROM can boot from USB drive connected to the device via OTG cable. The main part of MultiROM is a boot manager, which appears every time your device starts and lets you choose ROM to boot. You can see how it looks on the left image below and in gallery. ROMs are installed and managed via modified TWRP recovery. You can use standard ZIP files to install secondary Android ROMs and MultiROM even has its own installer system, which can be used to ship other Linux-based systems.

Features:
* Multiboot any number of Android ROMs
* Restore nandroid backup as secondary ROM
* Boot from USB drive attached via OTG cable

You can also watch a video which shows it in action.

WARNING
It is dangerous. This whole thing is basically one giant hack - none of these systems are made with multibooting in mind. It is no longer messing with data partition or boot sector, but it is possible that something goes wrong and you will have to flash factory images again. Make backups. Always.

IMPORTANT
  1. I'm not responsible for anything, you do all this on your own risk.
  2. Once you have flashed and set up MultiROM, don't flash another boot.img using fastboot or normally. Always go to "Advanced -> MultiROM" to flash ROMs/kernels or other mods.
  3. If you want to uninstall MultiROM, just flash the MultiROM uninstaller.
  4. I am not certainly sure about the compatibility with stock Roms, I still need to test this yet.
  5. Your device must not be encrypted.
  6. To all devs maintaing Stock-based ROMs: Feel free to use my patched stock kernels to add MultiROM support to your ROMs.
  7. When booting another ROM, you'll notice that in some cases, you can enter the recovery of the boot.img of the ROM. Please don't use it, flash everything using MultiROM TWRP.

INSTALLATION
  1. Make sure you are on a Rom compatible with one of these kernels and flash it
  2. Reboot into MultiROM TWRP and flash the MultiROM installer
  3. That's it. You can now go to "Advanced -> MultiROM" to start flashing other ROMs.

Adding ROMs
Go to recovery, select Advanced -> MultiROM -> Add ROM. Select the ROM's zip file and confirm.

Using USB drive
During installation, recovery lets you select install location. Plug in the USB drive, wait a while and press "refresh" so that it shows partitions on the USB drive. You just select the location (extX, NTFS and FAT32 partitions are supported) and proceed with the installation.
If you wanna use other than default FAT32 partition, just format it in PC. If you don't know how/don't know where to find out how, you probably should not try installing MultiROM.
If you are installing to NTFS or FAT32 partition, recovery asks you to set image size for all the partitions - this cannot be easilly changed afterward, so choose carefully. FAT32 is limited to maximum of 4095MB per image - it is limitation of the filesystem, I can do nothing about that.
Installation to USB drives takes a bit longer, because the flash drive is (usually) slower and it needs to create the images, so installation of Ubuntu to 4Gb image on my pretty fast USB drive takes about 20 minutes.
Enumerating USB drive can take a while in MultiROM menu, so when you press the "USB" button in MultiROM, wait a while (max. 30-45s) until it searches the USB drive. It does it by itself, no need to press something, just wait.

Updating/changing ROMs
1. Primary ROM (Internal)
  • Flash ROM's ZIP file as usual, do factory reset if needed (it won't erase secondary ROMs)
  • Go to Advanced -> MultiROM in recovery and do Inject curr. boot sector.
2. Secondary Android ROMs
If you want to change the ROM, delete it and add new one. To update ROM, follow these steps:
  • Go to Advanced -> MultiROM -> List ROMs and select the ROM you want to update.
  • Select "Flash ZIP" and flash ROM's ZIP file.

SOURCEs
MultiROM - https://github.com/XperiaMultiROM/multirom/ (branch master)
Modified TWRP - https://github.com/XperiaMultiROM/an...table_recovery (branch master)
Kernel w/ kexec-hardboot patch - https://github.com/Myself5/android_kernel_sony_msm8974/ (M5-Kernel)

FAQs can be found here.

CREDITs
  • Tasssadar
  • Olivier
  • Garcia98
  • Thunder07
  • skin1980
  • Envious_Data
  • [NUT]
  • AndroPlus
  • Panic Brothers

If you think I deserve a donation, I won't stop you :P

Thanks a lot to those who have donated!

You might want to consider a Donation to Tasssadar, who is the Mastermind behind all of this, I just ported it to the Z3

XDA:DevDB Information
MultiROM for Sony Xperia Z3, Tool/Utility for the Sony Xperia Z3

Contributors
Myself5
Source Code: https://github.com/XperiaMultiROM/multirom/tree/master

Version Information

Created 2015-01-23
Last Updated 2016-06-06
The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to Myself5 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd January 2015, 05:34 PM |#2  
CHANGELOGs

General MultiROM Changelog can be found here:
Changelog

XperiaMultiROM Specific Changelog is here:
Recovery Changelog
MultiROM Changelog

DOWNLOAD

https://dl.myself5.de
The recovery.img is Tassadars modified TWRP to flash secondary Roms. It is needed to flash the secondary Roms.

SUPPORTED KERNELs

M5 Kernel
AndroPlus Kernel (starting with V19)
If you want your favorite kernel to support kexec tell the dev to merge my commits.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Myself5 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd January 2015, 06:57 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 67

More
I will test it when i come home and report the result.
Edit: all is stable only Multirom menu needed to be fixed but that you have reported, thanks
Now i can use stock as daily driver and cm12 to see the progress. many thanks.
23rd January 2015, 08:30 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Whaaaaaaat. This is amazing! Thanks for your work, keep at it! I will surely use the multirom a bit later, when some more roms like PA are avaiable.
24th January 2015, 08:38 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 44

More
Wow great work! A noob question but one assumes that I would not be able to have one rom on 4.4.4 and another on Lollipop 5.0 due to the fact the base Kernel AndroPlus is designed for 4.4.4 or does Multi Rom allow 2 different Kernels? Thanks in Advance.

Sent from my D6603 using XDA Free mobile app
24th January 2015, 08:45 AM |#7  
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerscope

Wow great work! A noob question but one assumes that I would not be able to have one rom on 4.4.4 and another on Lollipop 5.0 due to the fact the base Kernel AndroPlus is designed for 4.4.4 or does Multi Rom allow 2 different Kernels? Thanks in Advance.

It actually is possible. The Base Kernel is patched to be kexec-hardboot compatible. This means it is able to load other kernel to the RAM and run them from there. The host kernel is just a middleman loading the kernel to the RAM, it is not doing anything else which means it is not affecting the secondarys kernel at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Myself5 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th January 2015, 09:11 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
I used to do this on Nexus 5, loading 4.4.4 with kexec kernel and then 5.0 preview as the other rom and it worked, so it should be possible here as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to kuboweb For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kuboweb Ad-Free
24th January 2015, 09:55 AM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself5

It actually is possible. The Base Kernel is patched to be kexec-hardboot compatible. This means it is able to load other kernel to the RAM and run them from there. The host kernel is just a middleman loading the kernel to the RAM, it is not doing anything else which means it is not affecting the secondarys kernel at all.

Oh wow thats fantastic news for sure. Lollipop here I come. I was hesitant before due to lollipop not being daily driver material but now it does not really matter. Do you get an option to select which rom upon phone boot up?

Thanks guys and great work

24th January 2015, 09:57 AM |#10  
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerscope

Oh wow thats fantastic news for sure. Lollipop here I come. I was hesitant before due to lollipop not being daily driver material but now it does not really matter. Do you get an option to select which rom upon phone boot up?

Thanks guys and great work

see the pic in the op ? Thats what is going to appear after the Sony scrren and before the initial Rom bootup.
The Following User Says Thank You to Myself5 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th January 2015, 10:02 AM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself5

see the pic in the op ? Thats what is going to appear after the Sony scrren and before the initial Rom bootup.

Woops I thought all that was is a logo but did not check, my bad and thanks!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)