CyanogenMod is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 6.0 (Marshmallow), which is designed to increase
performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.
CyanogenMod is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be
used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps).
CyanogenMod does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.
Before you start
This ROM is only for the E6853 and the E6803
* * Your warranty may be voided ! * * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. *
- @CTXz for getting the ball rolling on CyanogenMod for Z5 series and stemming the lion's share to get this working
- @oshmoun for providing fixes ASAP
- @AndroPlus for providing a great kernel that works with many recoveries
- @moonbutt74 for reminding me that smashing your device can provide a solution
- @sub77 for teaching me how to work with QCOM (I was on exynos before)
- @Joeisgood99 for providing a solid working TWRP-188.8.131.52 build until we had our own
- @bazhip for providing a well working twrp 184.108.40.206 for restoring until we had our own
- @alphatact1cs has a great overview on lots of topics for the Z5 device family
- @auras76 for his great Custom ROM
- @infected_ for his experience
- Thanks to @mpro420 for help to get Viper4Android working !
- Thanks to @jimRnor for Project DiVA SoundMod !
- The Sonyxperiadev team for releasing their sources to the public
- SonyAOSP team
- SonyCM team
- Sony Xperia (community) devs
- And ofcourse the entire CyanogenMod team!
- Video Recording
Bluetooth (keeps restarting)(might be fixed, needs feedback + testing)
- Camera Colors (can be circumvented by using specific apps CameraNext Mod )
- Camera Focus & Sharpness (driver issue, probably since it uses Xperia Z (original) drivers but different lenses ?)
- Camera lowlight pictures (might improve with release of Sony's "Experimental AOSP Camera" for the Z5 series, porting of other Framework + Stock Cam app; partially needs DRM magic)
- Camera Focus (even with VCM2 actuator changes focus is still kind of murky)
- Fingerprint sensor (might work depending on build date of ROM)
- Lag after booting up device (Will resolve: lock screen after boot and waiting a few seconds)
- Long bootup times & less smoothness with "stock" (prebuilt) kernel
What can not be fixed, changed - aka WONTFIX - NOTOURPROBLEM
- There might be potential speed issues with Class 10+ microSD cards not properly being "tuned", in that case switch to slower cards or RMA it which should hopefully solve it. There is a possibility to force slower speeds on cards but that is not really the optimal solution with ultra speed cards and needs further investigation. Samsung (EVO/EVO+) cards, Transcend cards and a few others UHS-I(+) and faster are affected.
What has been Fixed
- Horizontal color lines and color glitches during bootup
- Sudden Lag after some time
- Odd calling numbers
- In-call mic
- Sound on calls
- Camera button
- Thermal regulation
- Red flashy frames
- RIL (SIM detection)
- Dex pre-optimization
- Crash after locking device
- microSD access
- Flash light / Torch
- Full brightness (should be fully working)
Gapps (permissions issues) [occurs occasionally and should be circumvented by full-wipe approach (incl. internal storage)
Hang/Loop during boot stage (should be circumvented by full-wipe approach (incl. internal storage))(use Custom Kernel, under investigation)
- High battery drain [~ 10%-20% per hour] when dirty-flashing system (fastboot -S 256M flash system system.img), make sure to have data backed up, then format /data ; OTA updates should be fine though [need feedback] ); causes are: dirty flashing, certain apps, ROM issues, etc.
Warning! The following procedure may void your warranty and will wipe EVERYTHING
- Visit Sonys Official Bootloader Unlock guide (Details to all the risks you are taking are located on their site)
- After Unlocking your bootloader you can proceed with the next steps
Steps on how to Fastboot, Flashmode, Recovery, Emergency/Force Poweroff
@alphatact1cs has a great overview on lots of topics for the Z5 device family
over at [GUIDE] Sony Xperia Z5 - UNLOCK / ROOT / TWEAKS - OS 5.1.1 / 6.0
There go to the [GUIDE] StockROM section , open it up and under #GENERAL you'll find everything you need to know.
Setting up fastboot and how to use it
For windows users
For Linux users
Debian based distros (Debian, Ubuntu etc.)
Open a terminal and enter the following :
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install android-tools*
Gentoo based Distros (Gentoo, Funtoo, Sabayon, Scientific Linux)
Once you're in a terminal, enter the following:
Please find the apropriate packages to install android fastboot tools for your distro
How to use
Open a terminal in the location your .img file is located or cd into that directory like this:
cd <path to your directory that contains the .img files>
To boot temporarely into a .img (ex recovery) use the following command (replace <your.img> with your .img file) :
fastboot boot <yourfile>.img
fastboot flash boot <your.img>
fastboot flash recovery <your.img>
How to install CM 13
Above all - do a Backup of ALL your data
When I write ALL I mean ALL (this includes the data on your micro SD card,
don't come whining to me if you lose your wedding photos/videos, kids' photos/videos or other important stuff !
For optimal experience I'd recommend my built custom kernel (quicker boot times, higher reliability, more tweakability)
General, in-depth instructions (for the Xperia Z5 !)
- Download one of the newer Z5 AndroPlusKernels v20+ by @AndroPlus from his official website (Scroll down and select Z5, then on AndroidFileHost search for Z5_AndroPlusKernel_Permissive_v2 (v20 - v23) and download it)
- Extract the flashable zip-file e.g. Z5_AndroPlusKernel_Permissive_v23.zip
- Download our TWRP 3.0.1-0 build for the Z5)
- Download the appropriate gapps from below (Can be downloaded on your device)
- Download the CM 13 Zip for the Z5 from below (Can be downloaded on your device)
- Move the GAPPS zip and the CM 13 to your Z5 if you haven't downloaded them on your device
- Power Off your Z5 and wait about 10-15 seconds to make sure it's off
- To enter fastboot mode hold VOL UP and while holding VOL UP connect your device to your pc via cable
- When the notification LED has turned blue you are in fastboot mode
- On your PC flash the boot.img that has been extracted from the Z5_AndroPlusKernel_Permissive_v23.zip using fastboot (Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Now flash twrp-3.0.1-0-E6653-20160403.img by using fastboot ( Code:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.0.1-0-E6653-20160403.img
- Once both of those images have been flashed you can reboot the device like so: Code:
- Quickly pull the usb cable from the computer (you can leave the other end in the phone's port)
- When booting up wait for the notification light to turn yellow at the Sony logo
- Once it has turned yellow, you will enter TWRP by pressing VOL UP (or VOL DOWN - up works more reliably)
- If you've missed the step above, reboot your device and try the step above again
- Alternatively you can force turn off the device via: Power Button + Volume Up , then turn it on again via Power Button
- If TWRP asks you to enable read and write, swipe to continue
- Go to settings and lower the max brightness to the minimum or one of the lower levels to preserve energy
- In TWRP make a full backup to the microSD in case you want to revert back to stock.
- After it has finished, in this case Reboot -> System.
- Copy over the TWRP folder from the external microSD to your computer (reason: you might not have access to your external SD or have to reformat it
- Thank Microsoft, Sony, etc. for that: "Stock" ROM uses texfat , AOSP, CM, etc. uses exfat, ext4, ntfs
- The files on the microSD might get corrupted (filesystem problem) or the microSD going crazy (I already had both cases)
- Now Power on your phone and follow the steps again to get into TWRP
- Swipe to continue (?)
- select Wipe > Advanced Wipe
- Now ONLY tick Dalvik/ART cache, System, Cache and Data
- WARNING! THE NEXT STEP WILL WIPE YOUR SYSTEM AND DATA, MEANING YOU WILL DELETE YOUR STOCK SONY SYSTEM AND ALL YOUR APPS
- (You already DID a Backup of your files so nothing to worry about)
- Once you've ticked the correct boxes, swipe to wipe
- Once the wipe is complete, return to the main menu and select Install
- Locate and select your CM 13 Zip
- Select "Add more Zips" and add your GAPPS package and finally swipe to install
- Once the installation succeeded you can select "Reboot System"
- Wait for CM 13 to boot up (Can take several minutes)
- Enjoy CM13
- OPTIONAL: You can remove your TWRP backup that is located in the TWRP folder if you feel like you will no longer need it
How to ROOT
- In CM 13, enable the developer options
- Select Root access
- Select Apps Only (Or Apps and ADB if you use ADB)
How to disable the Thermal Manager
Before we start I want to set a few questions and warnings. Disabling the thermal manager will cause you device to run slightly hotter, do this at your own risk.
Let's start out with why you would want to disable the thermal manager. At this point it's not recommended to disable the thermal manager as it has been fixed. However some people still want the max performance out of their device. The average heat without the thermal manager will be roughly the same, if not less compared to the stock ROM with it's thermal manager enabled.
So why is the thermal manager even included if it the device runs mostly fine without it. As most of you already know, the Snapdragon 810 (MSM8994) has overheating problems. The first CM boot after flash is responsible for optimizing apps and android and can become extremely resource hungry at that point. Due to that, the device can heat tremendously! Not only can that cause a panic reboot but it can also damage your device in rare cases. To avoid that issue a thermal manager shrinks down process and slowers the boot animation (That's why the CM logo may lag at first boot).
Enough said, let's get going..
To disable the thermal manager you must do the following :
- First enable root access (See "How to ROOT" guide)
- Open the CM file manager
- Go to settings > General Settings > Access Mode
- Select root acess mode
- Go back to the file manager
- Swipe from left to right or press the menu button in the upper left corner
- Select Root folder
- Open the folder/directory called etc
- Delete thermanger.xml
How return back to stock via TWRP backup
- Reboot your device
- Wait for the notification light to turn purple at the Sony logo
- Once it has turned purple, you will enter TWRP by pressing VOL UP or VOL DOWN
- If you've missed the step above reboot and try again
- If TWRP will ask you to enable read and write, swipe to continue
- In TWRP select restore and select your backup, then swipe to restore
- Once the restore is done you can select "Reboot System"
- If your device hangs at the Sony wave boot animation, force shut down and power your device up again.
Latest recommended CyanogenMod release for the Sony Xperia Z5 E6853/E6803 :
Latest recommended Kernel for the CM release for the Sony Xperia Z5 E6853/E6803 :
All my releases can be found here on : Android File Host
TWRP for CM/AOSP-based ROMs:
Gapps (Select ARM64 > 6.0) :
[GAPPS][6.0/5.1/5.0][arm/arm64] Official Slim GApps ( recommended )
XPosed for Android:
[OFFICIAL] Xposed for Lollipop/Marshmallow (Installer in Thread)
SuperSU in SystemMode:
SuperSU in System-Mode [v2.65-STABLE] [v2.68-BETA] [v2.70-WIP/BETA-RC]
[Sound Mod ][Project DiVA][6.0 MM_Z5 series] KitaKami sound mod Prototype 01 (any effect ?)
A.R.I.S.E. Sound Systems - Auditory Research in Sound Enhancement - Exodus RC8.3 (works (RC8.3))
[SOUNDMOD][JB/KK/LP/MM]Project Yume Final, You are the Legend (needs testing)
[SUPER MOD][4.4+/6.0/N][ v7.5.2 ] XTREMEMusic™ THE SOUND THAT YOU'VE NEVER HEARD! (NOT working (7.4), needs testing of 7.5*
[Audio Mod] eXtremeBeats Aural Maximizer (needs testing)
[APP]Material ViPER4Android 220.127.116.11[Light/Dark][LP/MM]
1.)zip file install via twrp.
2.)reboot to system.
3.)enable v4a "write to sdcard" permission in setting/apps/viper4android/permission.
4.)open v4a and gain root permission.
5.)install driver for v4a.
Questions and bug reporting
The following questions will be ignored
- Inappropriate questions
- Requests for other devices
- Forced orders, EX. : "PLS FIX!!!!!!"
- Often repeated questions or requests usually by the same user
- Requests that are out of CM's framework (Ex. Adding Sony Apps)
How to report a bug/issue
- Explain exactly what happens
- Mention a log if you can (Please use hastebin or any other paste site to keep the thread clean)
- If you can't mention a log, explain as precise as possible when, why and where it occurs!
[SIZE="3"]All Source Code can be obtained from:
Kernel Source code can be obtained from : zachariasmaladroit/android_kernel_sony_msm8994_kitakami_r2
We gladly accept any developers that are willing to contribute to this project! Please PM @CTXz if you are interested in joining this project!
Build from Source
Screen Shots (Z5 compact)
CyanogenMod 13 for the Sony Xperia Z5 E6853 and E6803, ROM for the Sony Xperia Z5 Premium
CTXz, Moonbutt74 , zacharias.maladroit , oshmoun , infected_
ROM OS Version: 6.0.x Marshmallow
ROM Firmware Required: 6.0 Recommended
Based On: CyanogenMod
Last Updated 2016-06-28