FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Changing the resolution of Default to 2K without root

152 posts
Thanks Meter: 24

By fesar, Senior Member on 30th December 2015, 03:12 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I tried the adb Shell to change the Size of default Screen size from 1080 to 2k. This i did with Mac. My phone is not rooted.

Open terminal

adb shell

Then type

wm size 1440x2560

and to go back to default use

wm size 1080x1920

It works with reboot as well.

If we change the density from 480 - 640 using WM density 640. Icons looks very small. I think by default Sony doesn't supply icons for that density. Not sure if someone already said this. You can issue the same using mobile terminal emulator as well. You can download that app from Play Store.

I am not able to take screenshot as i get "Couldn't capture screenshot. Content may be protected or the memory may be full."

Try and let me know. If it is already mentioned here. Apology. Please close this

Francis.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to fesar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fesar Ad-Free

30th December 2015, 04:17 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chennai

Donate to Me
More
With Nova Launcher. With the below settings. The Phone looks awesome.

wm size 2160x3840
wm density 800

The Phone looks awesome. But with default launcher icons are so small.
30th December 2015, 08:19 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
sweeet i am watching this thread. thx alot
31st December 2015, 04:13 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chennai

Donate to Me
More
This doesn't work with the mobile terminal with unrooted Phone. Just an update. You can use both Mac and Windows CMD for doing this.
31st December 2015, 06:40 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
what is the default pixel density of xperia z5 premium??
31st December 2015, 08:14 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 13

Donate to Me
More
31st December 2015, 01:28 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fesar

I tried the adb Shell to change the Size of default Screen size from 1080 to 2k. This i did with Mac. My phone is not rooted.

Open terminal

adb shell

Then type

wm size 1440x2560

and to go back to default use

wm size 1080x1920

It works with reboot as well.

If we change the density from 480 - 640 using WM density 640. Icons looks very small. I think by default Sony doesn't supply icons for that density. Not sure if someone already said this. You can issue the same using mobile terminal emulator as well. You can download that app from Play Store.

I am not able to take screenshot as i get "Couldn't capture screenshot. Content may be protected or the memory may be full."

Try and let me know. If it is already mentioned here. Apology. Please close this

Francis.

My apologies for being a complete noob but could you give me an exact procedure for how to do this on Windows? I desperate need to change the awful DPI on this otherwise perfect phone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Traczyk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Traczyk Ad-Free
31st December 2015, 03:31 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 44

More
@Traczyc
Download android sdk tools open up adb shell enter the commands hes given and done. Its all the same on windows.

Btw It looks great thanks fesar
31st December 2015, 04:47 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfex3best

@Traczyc
Download android sdk tools open up adb shell enter the commands hes given and done. Its all the same on windows.

Btw It looks great thanks fesar

Thanks, I managed to figure it out and I can confirm that it works! This is just so awesome! It's just too bad that the screenshot function doesn't work on any resolution above 1080P.

I got also one more question. When you change the resolution using ADB, does the phone actually start to output content in that resolution or is it just an illusion?
31st December 2015, 06:41 PM |#10  
Flag Gothenburg
Thanks Meter: 236

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traczyk

Thanks, I managed to figure it out and I can confirm that it works! This is just so awesome! It's just too bad that the screenshot function doesn't work on any resolution above 1080P.

I got also one more question. When you change the resolution using ADB, does the phone actually start to output content in that resolution or is it just an illusion?

2k resolution on YouTube becomes available, so I guess it works

Edit: One more thing, if everything has this weird scaling a reboot usually fixes this.

Happy new year!
The Following User Says Thank You to KbaB.BroS For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KbaB.BroS Ad-Free
1st January 2016, 05:36 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chennai

Donate to Me
More
I confirmed the change with some screen resolution apps and in YouTube and it both confirms it as 2k. I hope Sony makes this as permanent and with an option for real 4k as well.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
2k display, dpi, z5 premium

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)