FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] Downgrade Zenfone 2 Laser to any official firmware

280 posts
Thanks Meter: 409

Post Reply Email Thread
I have discovered multiple ways of downgrading ZenFone 2 Laser out of which two methods proved out to be easy and reliable. Both methods have been tested and are working.
Method 2 doesn't require root while method 1 needs root access.

Pre-requisite: Stock firmware zip file. You can find download links from index thread for all variants.

WHILE THIS GUIDE HAS VERY LESS CHANCES OF MESSING UP YOUR DEVICE, HUMAN ERROR CAN ANYWAY HARM THE DEVICE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING YOU DO TO ANY DEVICE. YOU ARE DOING THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK

METHOD 1: Requires ROOT-
Short instruction:
Some users say you can downgrade by renaming the OTA zip to correspond to a higher version but that will NEVER work because the update script has this line
Quote:

(!less_than_int(1457089250, getprop("ro.build.date.utc"))) || abort("Can't install this package (Fri Mar 4 19:00:50 CST 2016) over newer build (" + getprop("ro.build.date") + ").");

The recovery reads ro.buid.date.utc value from buid.prop. If the value is less than the value in updater-script (like the value highligted in above quote) any recovery will not flash it, neither stock nor custom. Just increaase the value of ro.build.date.utc (in build.prop) to any value higher than the value in updater-script and then flash the zip via recovery.

Detailed Instructions:
1. Open updater-script from the firmware zip. It will be found in /META-INF/com/google/android inside the .zip
2. look at the first line (!less_than_int(1457089250, getprop("ro.bui....
3. The value 1457089250 is taken as an example, your updater-script may have a different value. Keep a note of this value.
4. Install any root file manager like ES file explorer (if you dont have already)
5. Goto /system (the system folder) using the root file manager. Grant root access if prompted
6. Open buid.prop file as text and look for the line "ro.build.date.utc=1446585430"
1446585430 is taken as example, your phone will have a different value.
7. Now increase this value in build.prop to any number greater than the value you noted from updater-script
for example, if my updater-script has 1457089250 this value and buil.prop has 1446585430 this value, I will simply change the value in build.prop to 1546585430 or 1448585430 or 1457089251. Any number greater than 1457089250 will work in my case.
8. Now reboot to recovery (vol down + power)
9. Select "apply update from external sd card" select your firmware zip file, and then select yes to flash. It will take 5-10 min
10. (optional but recommended) Wipe factory/data . If you don't do this, you will see the annoying "Android is upgrading.." screen which takes around 30-40 mins to reach home screen.

Method 2: Without root, requires computer
Short instructions:
As I mentioned earlier, recovery reads "ro.build.date.utc" But you can bypass this check by erasing system partition.
Just do
Code:
fastboot erase system
from fastboot mode and then flash the zip from recovery

Detailed Instructions:
1. Install Asus drivers to your computer. (link in index thread)
2. Download adb_fastboot.zip and extract its contents
3. Reboot your phone to 'bootloader mode'. To do this turn of your phone completely. Hold "volume down Up" button and then press and hold power button. Release power button after Asus logo appears and then release volume down button. Your phone is now in bootloader mode.
4. Connect your phone to pc via a reliable usb cable. Look at your phone screen. It should display "Fastboot mode!"
5. Now go to the folder where you have extracted all the files. Holding down shift key, Right click on any point on white screen. Then click on 'open command window here' from the menu that appears. Command Prompt will open now
6. On command prompt type
Code:
fastboot devices
and hit enter
and check if it is detecting your device.
7. Then type
Code:
fastboot erase system
(this will erase your current OS, you are warned!)
8. After it is done type
Code:
fastboot oem reboot-recovery
to boot into recovery mode
9. Select "apply update from external sd card" select your firmware zip file, and then select yes to flash. It will take 5-10 min
10. (optional but recommended) Wipe factory/data . If you don't do this, you will see the annoying "Android is upgrading.." screen which takes around 30-40 mins to reach home screen.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sziraqui For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sziraqui Ad-Free

22nd May 2016, 09:29 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Successfully downgraded to 1.16.40.763 from 1.17.40.1234 without root
Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to ZenFreak For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ZenFreak Ad-Free
5th July 2016, 12:03 PM |#3  
Flag kochi
Thanks Meter: 174

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sziraqui

I have discovered multiple ways of downgrading ZenFone 2 Laser out of which two methods proved out to be easy and reliable. Both methods have been tested and are working.
Method 2 doesn't require root while method 1 needs root access.

Pre-requisite: Stock firmware zip file. You can find download links from index thread for all variants.

WHILE THIS GUIDE HAS VERY LESS CHANCES OF MESSING UP YOUR DEVICE, HUMAN ERROR CAN ANYWAY HARM THE DEVICE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING YOU DO TO ANY DEVICE. YOU ARE DOING THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK

METHOD 1: Requires ROOT-
Short instruction:
Some users say you can downgrade by renaming the OTA zip to correspond to a higher version but that will NEVER work because the update script has this line

The recovery reads ro.buid.date.utc value from buid.prop. If the value is less than the value in updater-script (like the value highligted in above quote) any recovery will not flash it, neither stock nor custom. Just increaase the value of ro.build.date.utc (in build.prop) to any value higher than the value in updater-script and then flash the zip via recovery.

Detailed Instructions:
1. Open updater-script from the firmware zip. It will be found in /META-INF/com/google/android inside the .zip
2. look at the first line (!less_than_int(1457089250, getprop("ro.bui....
3. The value 1457089250 is taken as an example, your updater-script may have a different value. Keep a note of this value.
4. Install any root file manager like ES file explorer (if you dont have already)
5. Goto /system (the system folder) using the root file manager. Grant root access if prompted
6. Open buid.prop file as text and look for the line "ro.build.date.utc=1446585430"
1446585430 is taken as example, your phone will have a different value.
7. Now increase this value in build.prop to any number greater than the value you noted from updater-script
for example, if my updater-script has 1457089250 this value and buil.prop has 1446585430 this value, I will simply change the value in build.prop to 1546585430 or 1448585430 or 1457089251. Any number greater than 1457089250 will work in my case.
8. Now reboot to recovery (vol down + power)

Method 2: Without root, requires computer
Short instructions:
As I mentioned earlier, recovery reads "ro.build.date.utc" But you can bypass this check by erasing system partition.
Just do
Code:
fastboot erase system
from fastboot mode and then flash the zip from recovery

Detailed Instructions:
1. Install Asus drivers to your computer. (link in index thread)
2. Download adb_fastboot.zip and extract its contents
3. Reboot your phone to 'bootloader mode'. To do this turn of your phone completely. Hold volume down button and then press and hold power button. Release power button after Asus logo appears and then release volume down button. Your phone is now in bootloader mode.
4. Connect your phone to pc via a reliable usb cable. Look at your phone screen. It should display "Fastboot mode!"
5. Now go to the folder where you have extracted all the files. Holding down shift key, Right click on any point on white screen. Then click on 'open command window here' from the menu that appears. Command Prompt will open now
6. On command prompt type
Code:
fastboot devices
and hit enter
and check if it is detecting your device.
7. Then type
Code:
fastboot erase system
(this will erase your current OS, you are warned!)
8. After it is done type
Code:
fastboot oem reboot-recovery
to boot into recovery mode

Currently iam on marshmallow. My phone is zenfone laser 550kl. Iam having some problems with the marshmallow recovery because of that when doing apply update from sd card it is resulting an error.

Failed to mount/asdf.

So i like to flash the lolipop recovery while iam on the marshmallow and then do apply update from sd card. I like to go back to the 1.13 lolipop firmware

Is it possible to to flash the lolipop recovery while iam on marshmallow. If possible. Help me how to do that
5th July 2016, 12:23 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 409

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanveerAliSayed

Currently iam on marshmallow. My phone is zenfone laser 550kl. Iam having some problems with the marshmallow recovery because of that when doing apply update from sd card it is resulting an error.

Failed to mount/asdf.

So i like to flash the lolipop recovery while iam on the marshmallow and then do apply update from sd card. I like to go back to the 1.13 lolipop firmware

Is it possible to to flash the lolipop recovery while iam on marshmallow. If possible. Help me how to do that

"Failed to mount /asdf" error is harmless you will get that error even on latest twrp. You can ignore the error and use the MM stock recovery like normal. Recovery will do its job it can format, install updates, clear cache and everything, you just need to ignore that /asdf error

But you can use any stock recovery from any firmware version lower than or equal to your current firmware version. Drawbacks: You cannot apply update to MM OTAs if your recovery version doesn't match the current firmware version.

Going back to stock 1.13 is a bad idea. I would recommend you to stay on MM since it has many performance improvements.
But still if you want to go back to lollipop, consider downgrading to the last lollipop update i.e. v1.17.40.1531

Xda Tips: 1. Never quote the entire OP (the main post here, called original post)
2. Don't say thanks, instead hit the button
3. Use "Post Reply" option on top if you want to reply to a post. Use @username to gain attention of a user
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sziraqui For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sziraqui Ad-Free
5th July 2016, 03:24 PM |#5  
Flag kochi

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sziraqui

"Failed to mount /asdf" error is harmless you will get that error even on latest twrp. You can ignore the error and use the MM stock recovery like normal. Recovery will do its job it can format, install updates, clear cache and everything, you just need to ignore that /asdf error

But you can use any stock recovery from any firmware version lower than or equal to your current firmware version. Drawbacks: You cannot apply update to MM OTAs if your recovery version doesn't match the current firmware version.

Going back to stock 1.13 is a bad idea. I would recommend you to stay on MM since it has many performance improvements.
But still if you want to go back to lollipop, consider downgrading to the last lollipop update i.e. v1.17.40.1531

Xda Tips: 1. Never quote the entire OP (the main post here, called original post)
2. Don't say thanks, instead hit the button
3. Use "Post Reply" option on top if you want to reply to a post. Use @username to gain attention of a user

I got a 412 mb ota update some days before. I downloaded it. Apply it for proceed. Then it start checking system as usual phone restarted. But update did not happened. Instead this same error show up. Then i can only reboot system. Got an update failed message.since that when i check for updates iam not even getting any. May be it will be solved by a factory reset .but even if i get an ota. The update wont proceed .because the recovery wont allow me to do that

And also that wipe cache partition also results the same error .so without solving this error i cant update to the latest MM too :/ .
5th July 2016, 05:32 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 49

More
In my experience, the most reliable method is to

extract the recovery from the version of stock ROM you want to upgrade or downgrade to

Flash that recovery with fastboot

Wipe /system in fastboot

Reboot to recovery and update with the stock ROM .zip

Or

Even easier, use Sziraqui's fastboot ready .IMG files and just flash them via fastboot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4llerbuntu For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 4llerbuntu Ad-Free
5th July 2016, 06:05 PM |#7  
Flag Hyderabad

More
where can i find the recovery file in Stock rom
[QUOTE=4llerbuntu;67616330]In my experience, the most reliable method is to

extract the recovery from the version of stock ROM you want to upgrade or downgrade to

Thanks for the Information, Can you please help to find the recovery file in Stock rom.
The Following User Says Thank You to kmrnagireddy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kmrnagireddy Ad-Free
5th July 2016, 06:13 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 49

More
The recovery is included in the stock ROM zip file. Extract the zip and you will find it inside.

Presumably if you want to flash the stock ROM you have already downloaded it?
The Following User Says Thank You to 4llerbuntu For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 4llerbuntu Ad-Free
6th July 2016, 12:27 AM |#9  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4llerbuntu

The recovery is included in the stock ROM zip file. Extract the zip and you will find it inside.

Hi, I see only boot.img in the zip file. Is there a hidden recovery?
The Following User Says Thank You to murat124 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift murat124 Ad-Free
6th July 2016, 03:04 AM |#10  
Flag Hyderabad

More
Quote:

I see only boot.img file , i didn't find any recovery.img file, in case if you have already done this probably yes then please share us the steps to get recovery from Stock rom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	538
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	3804537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	544
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	3804538  
The Following User Says Thank You to kmrnagireddy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kmrnagireddy Ad-Free
6th July 2016, 05:10 AM |#11  
Flag kochi

More
Quote:

In my experience, the most reliable method is to

Flash that recovery with fastboot

Wipe /system in fastboot

Reboot to recovery and update with the stock ROM .zip

Or

Even easier, use Sziraqui's fastboot ready .IMG files and just flash them via fastboot.

I cant find any recovery.img in the firmware zip. :/

Can you detaily explain that fastboot method as it is for flashing the lolipop recovery for downgrading to 1.13.

Iam a beginner in android. This is my first android phone.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
downgrade ze550kl, ze500kg, ze500kl, ze600kl, ze601kl

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)