FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROOT][MM][NO UNLOCKING REQUIRED][ZE550KL] How to root ZE550KL on latest marshmallow?

273 posts
Thanks Meter: 45

By xactor, Senior Member on 1st July 2016, 05:35 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
If you tried rooting you ZE550KL then you must tried unlocking your device using official unlocker tool and you may faced force close. So here is how to root you asus ZE550KL without unlocking bootloader..

Prerequisite:
  1. Download Latest TWRP from twrp.me Download
  2. Download latest SuperSu Binary Download
  3. Install Adb drivers and proper setup adb and fastboot. If you dont know how search on Google.
  4. Lil Presence of mind

Lets start...
1- Connect your phone and type these command.
Code:
adb devices
and if it shows your device then issue this command after that
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
your device will reboot in bootloader.
2- Go to the directory where you placed downloaded twrp.img. Open command prompt here (shift + right click).
3- Flash the downloaded recovery
Code:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
4- When it said "finished" and there is no error. Then type this and press volume - (down) before screen lit up.
Code:
fastboot reboot
5- If you did correctly then you will see the TWRP logo.
6- If not let device boot and when it finished boot type these commands
Code:
adb reboot recovery
7- When twrp boots first step is to make a full backup of all.
8- Then copy Update-SuperSu-*-*.zip to your sd card or internal memory via MTP (available when twrp boots n phone connected with pc). Flash it.
9- If twrp ask for su binary update say no. and reboot
10- Boom you're rooted!!
Screenshots: (Unfortunately I cant record so i am atleast giving ss)

Root Checker
DevCheck
SuperSu

Video to get idea if this works.. ( I will surely upload a good video very soon!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7iYTGKmb-g

Helpful Links:
StockBoot.img(Lollipop)- Because if you messed up you need to flash this and then have to download stock lollipop firmware and then sideload firmware from stockrecovery to get you phone working
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to xactor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xactor Ad-Free

1st July 2016, 05:52 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Yeah, I updated yesterday my ZE551KL to Android M and as I didn't like it (some minimal changes) I chose to install the CM13.
But the unlocker didn't work. Ocurred the problem described in this post.

I will try this method later and post my result.

Update: the root worked!
Question: can I flash the CM rom without backing up the system? Because I got no space available for it in my microSD. What are the risks?
1st July 2016, 07:12 PM |#3  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 406

Donate to Me
More
LOL
This is not a place to fool people.

Method works. Apologies to OP
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sziraqui For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sziraqui Ad-Free
1st July 2016, 10:48 PM |#4  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xactor

3- Flash the downloaded recovery

I'm pretty new at this. Doesn't flashing require an unlocked bootloader? Most of what I read seems to indicate so, but maybe not on some devices? Can someone clarify?
2nd July 2016, 06:47 AM |#5  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 406

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by moo.marc

I'm pretty new at this. Doesn't flashing require an unlocked bootloader? Most of what I read seems to indicate so, but maybe not on some devices? Can someone clarify?

Flashing any non-stock .img or zip requires unlocked bootloader. This guide will never work. It seems this guy made two accounts, one for writing the guide and one for posting that it worked. The OP is just trying to fool people, or may be he himself got fooled by somebody and he posted that guide here. Mods, This thread should be deleted.

Edit : Sorry for updating too late. This method works on locked bootloader. The img files are provided by a genius shakalaka. They are patched to match Asus signed img files. Thanks for writing this useful thread
The Following User Says Thank You to sziraqui For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sziraqui Ad-Free
2nd July 2016, 07:53 AM |#6  
Flag fort worth
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Also confirmed working on ZE-551KL on my phone and my wife's phone!

Thank You!

Please most definitely follow this step: 4- When it said "finished" and there is no error. Then type this and press volume - (down) before screen lit up.
Code:

fastboot reboot

Definitely do the "Press volume down button" right after you hit (Enter)
This was sticking point because I didn't read carefully....
2nd July 2016, 08:35 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Hi, just try your method it work. My is ZE550KL 6.0.1
Aloso work on build : 21.40.1220.1708 too.

flash recovery with twrp version twrp-3.0.2-3-Z00L.img
and flash with UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.65-20151226141550.zip

BTW first time SuperSU installed but cannot work. So I try to flash again and got it work correctly.

New user cannot post outside link pls add manual open my attachment.
imgur.com/a/Ue6a8
The Following User Says Thank You to gogogokrit For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gogogokrit Ad-Free
27th October 2016, 08:53 AM |#8  

More
Hello sir can u make avideo iam urgent for root please
11th November 2016, 04:31 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
No idea how this works
I have no idea how, but it worked! I (mostly) agree with sziraqui that flashing a recovery image with the device locked shouldn't work: I tried it before and the device would not load the bootloader after flashing, forcing me to re-flash the stock bootloader.

As mentioned by the OP, after flashing the marshmallow firmware (UL-Z00L-WW-21.40.1220.1708-user.zip) the unlock app crashed when unlocking. After that, I tried to flash TWRP and to my surprise it DID work! I also managed to flash supersu and test it with TitaniumBackup.

Since I would be skeptic myself, I'm attaching a picture that show's twrp and my terminal showing the that the bootloader reports as being locked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	twrp.jpg
Views:	1032
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	3932705  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to igorrafael For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift igorrafael Ad-Free
24th November 2016, 03:12 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I'm using marshmallow on my ZenFone 2 laser user_21.40.1220.1877 the latest stock firmware I'm not able to unlock it when I enter this command "fastboot boot ze550kltwrp.img in command prompt keeping my device into fastboot mode it shows error "you need to unlock your device to use this command"
How to unlock it plzz help

---------- Post added at 04:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 AM ----------

How to unlock ZenFone 2 laser running on marshmallow latest build?
Plz suggest
16th December 2016, 02:31 PM |#11  

More
ryt i have too same issue
How to unlock bootloader
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
marshmallow, root, zenfone 2

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)