This is rooting script only for ASUS Zenfone 5 (T00F/T00J) with official WW-188.8.131.52 (4.4.2) firmware.
Upgrading will unroot your phone.
If you want to have rooted lollipop, find another rooting solution.
8. April 2017 note: I don't use anymore this phone and I can't help with questions. Rooting method should still works. Sorry for the inconvenience.
If this rooting solution doesn't work, probably you're doing some wrong. There's several thousand people (or more) from around the world which successfully rooted and fixed theirs phones. If you have any questions or problem - please read first whole thread. I'm trying answer all questions and I place the most popular in first post.
I want to share my work. I created github repository - feel free to fork etc.
Simple FAQ and tips
Want more help?
Video tutorial by Majci8
Older version of firmware
Do you have older version of firmware? Update it and apply rooting script.
Download official firmware (select android -> firmware, and search site with phrase WW_184.108.40.206)
Newer version of firmware
I actually doesn't like lollipop and I don't provide any support for rooting newer android. Probably there are available other solutions. At this moment the 220.127.116.11 version is the newest kitkat for Asus Zenfone 5.
"No camera is found" bug
Do you have "no camera is found" problem? This script fixes this. I spend few long days to fixing "no camera is found" bug after applying shakalacka's rooting script. And I GOT IT! I mixed shakalaca and Vipin Arumugham solutions. Thank you guys!
How update firmware by sideload method?
- Boot your phone to recovery mode.
- When "No command" message appears, press and hold down volume button, and press once (still holding down volume) up volume button. You are now in recovery menu.
- Select apply update from ADB.
- Connect phone by USB cable to your computer.
- Run from terminal: adb sideload new-firmware.zip
Eh, really? Why do you want to unroot your phone? Use sideload method to apply firmware again (yes, with the same version). This will format your /system partition and install whole android system again.
Thanks for every mentioned person! Your comments, messages and other help is really great!