FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

ASUS Zenfone 5 root for WW-2.22.40.54 (4.4.2) firmware

101 posts
Thanks Meter: 65

By sigoshere, Senior Member on 6th June 2015, 12:38 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Asus Zenfone 5 - photo by asus.com

This is rooting script only for ASUS Zenfone 5 (T00F/T00J) with official WW-2.22.40.54 (4.4.2) firmware.
Upgrading will unroot your phone.
If you want to have rooted lollipop, find another rooting solution.

8. April 2017 note: I don't use anymore this phone and I can't help with questions. Rooting method should still works. Sorry for the inconvenience.

If this rooting solution doesn't work, probably you're doing some wrong. There's several thousand people (or more) from around the world which successfully rooted and fixed theirs phones. If you have any questions or problem - please read first whole thread. I'm trying answer all questions and I place the most popular in first post.

Rooting script
I want to share my work. I created github repository - feel free to fork etc.

Simple FAQ and tips

Want more help?
Video tutorial by Majci8

Older version of firmware
Do you have older version of firmware? Update it and apply rooting script.
Download official firmware (select android -> firmware, and search site with phrase WW_2.22.40.54)

Newer version of firmware
I actually doesn't like lollipop and I don't provide any support for rooting newer android. Probably there are available other solutions. At this moment the 2.22.40.54 version is the newest kitkat for Asus Zenfone 5.

"No camera is found" bug
Do you have "no camera is found" problem? This script fixes this. I spend few long days to fixing "no camera is found" bug after applying shakalacka's rooting script. And I GOT IT! I mixed shakalaca and Vipin Arumugham solutions. Thank you guys!

How update firmware by sideload method?
  1. Boot your phone to recovery mode.
  2. When "No command" message appears, press and hold down volume button, and press once (still holding down volume) up volume button. You are now in recovery menu.
  3. Select apply update from ADB.
  4. Connect phone by USB cable to your computer.
  5. Run from terminal: adb sideload new-firmware.zip
Note: you can sideload only firmware with the same or higher version. Firmware can be downgraded too, but this is little more complicated.

Unroot
Eh, really? Why do you want to unroot your phone? Use sideload method to apply firmware again (yes, with the same version). This will format your /system partition and install whole android system again.

Thanks for every mentioned person! Your comments, messages and other help is really great!
The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to sigoshere For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sigoshere Ad-Free

6th June 2015, 01:06 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigorand

I spend few long days to fixing "no camera is found" bug after applying shakalacka's rooting script. And I GOT IT! I mixed shakalaca and Vipin Arumugham solutions. Thank you guys!

I want to share my work. I created github repository- feeel free to fork etc.

My solution was tested on ASUS Zenfone 5 (T00F/T00J) with WW-2.22.40.54 firmware.

will it work with 2.21.40.44? or do i have to sideload 2.22.40.54? it looks promising. thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to mondolite For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mondolite Ad-Free
6th June 2015, 01:17 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondolite

will it work with 2.21.40.44? or do i have to sideload 2.22.40.54? it looks promising. thanks.

I suggest update to 2.22.40.54 first. You can download this from official website. After update, you can safely use my solution.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sigoshere For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sigoshere Ad-Free
6th June 2015, 01:20 PM |#4  

More
Quote:

I suggest update to 2.22.40.54 first. You can download this from official website. After update, you can safely use my solution.

i'll download the firmware. one more question, do i have to boot the phone to droidbot for applying this method?
6th June 2015, 01:31 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Yes, you need reboot to bootloader.

If you're on linux, just run .sh script and it will do everything for you. There's manual for other system.
The Following User Says Thank You to sigoshere For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sigoshere Ad-Free
6th June 2015, 02:02 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Hi, thank you for this solution..
there's a chance that it could work also with 2.21.40.44? I think that most most people with this problem has the same firmware...
6th June 2015, 02:13 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by meolo2002

Hi, thank you for this solution..
there's a chance that it could work also with 2.21.40.44? I think that most most people with this problem has the same firmware...

Is there any reason to not use 2.22.40.54? It is the newest kitkat for our phone. Just download the firmware, update, and use rooting script.
The Following User Says Thank You to sigoshere For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sigoshere Ad-Free
6th June 2015, 02:21 PM |#8  

More
Quote:

Is there any reason to not use 2.22.40.54? It is the newest kitkat for our phone. Just download the firmware, update, and use rooting script.

The reason is that with the previous root... you are not able to upgrade
Just tried this morning
With the old root tool you are not able to:
-make an hard reset
-upgrade to the new firmware
if you try comes out an error...
6th June 2015, 02:33 PM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by meolo2002

The reason is that with the previous root... you are not able to upgrade
Just tried this morning
With the old root tool you are not able to:
-make an hard reset
-upgrade to the new firmware
if you try comes out an error...

do it with adb sideload method.
6th June 2015, 02:35 PM |#10  

More
Lightbulb
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondolite

do it with adb sideload method.

Ok thank you very much!!!
6th June 2015, 03:10 PM |#11  

More
Quote:

I spend few long days to fixing "no camera is found" bug after applying shakalacka's rooting script. And I GOT IT! I mixed shakalaca and Vipin Arumugham[/URL] solutions. Thank you guys!

I want to share my work. I created github repository - feeel free to fork etc.

My solution was tested on ASUS Zenfone 5 (T00F/T00J) with WW-2.22.40.54 firmware.

Read manual
Download rooting script

IT WORKS!! Finally!! you are my hero!!
this is my first shot, i'm shaking when i am taking this pic..

First, sideload firmware 2.22.40.54 (long process).
Second, do the basic setup after your phone turns on (unlock dev options, turn on usb debugging).
Third, turn off and go to bootloader (droidbot), do all the things in manual.
Finally, you are golden.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
asus zenfone 5, root

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)