After rising to the most popular Kernel on Pixel 3/XL, here it is for the Asus Zenfone 6!
Kirisakura - Kernel is designed to bring a handful of beneficial features to the device, while ensuring excellent performance and smoothness to get you safely through the day!
Being the first kernel on the Pixel 3/XL forum, which features completely merged CAF, it´s now here one the Asus Zenfone 6 Forums too!
It´s the first kernel on the Asus Zenfone 6 forums to have latest CAF - Source as well as latest linux-stable upstream merged in.
The kernel is fully rebased to latest available CAF source from the Codeaurora-Forums for the 4.14 msm kernel. (except charging driver for now, don´t have the same means as an OEM for testing Battery longevity, no risks there | as well as display driver, breaks unique functionality with Asus at the moment)
The kernel is also upstreamed to latest linux stable for enhanced security and stability.
Have a read about linux-stable and why it is important here
The EAS implementation is heavily updated with changes from CAF, kernel/common and other improvements.
To have a read about our scheduler, which is called EAS, take a look here:
- Based on latest kernel sources from Asus for Android Pie
- Fully rebased on CAF sources for 4.14 msm-kernel
- Linux-Stable-Upstream included to latest 4.14.131
- compiled with Clang 9.0.4 and built with -O3 speed optimizations
- ZRAM patched up to latest kernel/common state and use LZ4 as default compression algorithm to improve memory managment
- Safety Net patches are included -> Kernel passes Safety Net
- Flashing the kernel will keep root!
- Anykernel zip is based on the all new Anykernel3 release from @osm0sis
- F2FS updated to latest F2FS stable
EAS related features:
- EAS implementation patched up to latest CAF state
- disable autogroups and use cgroups for more efficient task placement!
- disable core_ctl for improved task placement and load balancing
- improved schedutil governor
- mimic pixels setup of the schedutil governor
- use schedtune boost from @joshuous to mimic Pixel-like EAS schedtune boosting behaviour
- setup cpusets like on pixel for more efficiency and better performance
CPU related features:
- Power saving workingqueues enabled by default (toggleable in EXKM)
have a read here: https://lwn.net/Articles/731052/
this complements EAS in general
- Change various drivers ( MM, audio) to user power efficient workingqueues. This should work well in conjunction with EAS
- Add hold functionality to schedtune CPU boost
- cpufreq/times vastly improved
File System related features:
- Set the bio REQ_NOENCRYPT flag (When lower layers such as dm-crypt observe the REQ_NOENCRYPT flag, it helps the I/O stack avoid redundant encryption, improving performance and power utilization. ) (CAF default)
- use blkio/cfq/cgroup setup from Pixel 3a devices (improves overall IO performance, under IO load) more information linked -> here in this post
GPU related features:
- KCAL to control the display
- KLAPSE integrated
- KCAL/KLAPSE: changes safety measures -> allow completely disabling two RGB values (this was requested to, for example, only have red values on night dimming)
- Enabled NAP power saving state of Adreno 630
- ability to use the new 675mhz GPU step officially introduced by CAF (Stock Zenfone 6 is set to only use 585mhz as max)
more information and benches in the 1.2.0 release post over at the One Plus Forums
Network related features:
- Wireguard Support (Details)
- advanced TCP algorithms enabled
- includes new bbr
Memory related features:
- Memory Management patches from mainline kernel
- Speculative Page Faults (1. 2)
- Fix various memory leaks in different subsystems
- Reap memory of a task that receives sigkill
- enabled per process reclaim
- change the way ZRAM is used by quite a bit (set ZRAM size to use 1/8th of the device total RAM)
- allow ZRAM to use higher swappiness values than 100
Security related features:
- built with clang found on google repo
- use CAF wlan driver and compile it inline, the only way to ensure working wlan with this kernel
- the kernel cannot even force load prebuild WLAN module as the kernel base is way to far from stock!
- do no longer rely on the pre compiled wlan driver module
- completely removed qcom_rx wakelock in the wlan driver
- removed debugging from wlan driver
- removed logging from wlan driver
Magisk Companion Module
- set kernel settings like I intend them to be
- advanced wakelock blocker with the ability to block any wakelocks (dangerous, use with caution)
- please read this for further info
- disable logging to make the kernel more lightweight in various places
Feature section for the "non visible" but perceptible improvements:
- updated binder section (responsible for interprocess communication)
- updated sdcardfs ; have a read about it here:
- unlocked Bootloader
- USB-Debugging in developer options enabled
- latest adb and fastboot binaries
- working adb and fastboot environment
- magisk root
How to flash the Kernel:
1. Download the latest kernel.zip and the latest companion magisk module
1a. Optional: While it may not be necessary all times, you may want to restore stock boot.img, re-root with magisk and optionally install twrp.zip if coming from another kernel. Before reporting issues make sure you do that! Thank you!
2. Make sure to use latest Magisk stable. (not the latest canary!)
3. Flash the magisk companion module in Magisk Manager.
4. Flash the kernel.zip via latest EXKM app
4a. Important: Please keep in mind when flashing via EXKM: If you´re coming from the stock kernel or any kernel with AVB intact, you have to flash the kernel.zip twice with a reboot in between via EXKM! If you are unsure about avb, just flash it twice!
5. Reboot and profit. The kernel and the magisk module itself ensure you´re running the setup that´s intended. If you change settings, you will probably lose some optimizations. Don´t come back here and complain.
You can make sure everything worked by taking a look at ZRAM in EXKM! The ZRAM size should equal 1/8th of your total RAM size
Download is located always in this folder:
Important: Read after Download
Please take a look at the second post after flashing the kernel!
1.0.0 Initial Release
Donations are not mandatory but very welcome if you want to support development or just buy me a coffee
If you like my work: http://paypal.me/freak07
Asus for the Zenfone 6!
@osm0sis for all his work, including the ak2 installer!
@tbalden for being the best HTC wingman!
@LeeDroid for his awesome roms!
@Captain_Throwback for all the mentoring and guidance!
@Eliminater74 for bringing me into the game and the Inspiration
@nathanchance for his upstream guidance and assistance
@RenderBroken for helping me out
@flar2 for all his work
@joshuous for all the help he provided to me in the past!
@arter97 for giving me advice
@topjohnwu for magisk!
@osm0sis for anykernel!
Kirisakura-Kernel, Kernel for the ASUS ZenFone 6 (2019)
Source Code: https://github.com/freak07/Zenfone_6...mmits/master_1
Kernel Special Features:
Last Updated 2019-07-19