FORUMS

KERNEL ❯ ZENFONE 6 ❯❯ Proton Kernel • v2.0 • October 1

452 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,010

Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from kdrag0n: Proton Kernel v2.0 is available!
Proton Kernel • ZenFone 6
by kdrag0n

I am not liable if your phone explodes, stops functioning, or turns into scrap metal. I am not obligated to publish and update this kernel. However, if you provide an accurate description of your issue accompanied with logs, it is likely that I will at least look into your issue. By flashing this kernel, you acknowledge the potential risks it brings.

Introduction
Proton Kernel strives to provide the perfect balance of performance and battery life in order to create the best possible experience for your phone. Features are welcome within reason.

Compatibility & Installation
The stock Pie ROM as well as all custom ROMs (Pie and 10, including GSIs) are supported. Wiping cache is unnecessary. Magisk is retained, so there is no need to reflash it afterwards. The kernel may be flashed from TWRP or your app of choice.

Features
List on GitHub Gist

The 72 Hz refresh rate is optional and is not recommended if you are concerned about your display's longevity. Some units may also show artifacts on the higher refresh rate. Staying on 60 Hz is thus recommended, but if you are willing to take the risk, you can add "72hz" or "72fps" anywhere in the ZIP file name to activate 72 Hz. The flasher output will update accordingly to confirm the change. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED BY THE HIGHER REFRESH RATE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Downloads
Downloads and changelogs can be found here on GitHub. The topmost release is the latest. Alternatively, you can simply download the latest version here.

Make sure you download the flashable package, NOT source code! Source code is for developers and cannot be flashed.

Thanks to:
  • Asus for sending me a device to work on
  • Packet for sponsoring with a build server
  • Sultan Alsawaf for his support and dedication
  • Everyone whose work I've used in this kernel

Join the Telegram group for pre-release builds and support
Donate to support development. You know you want to.

XDA:DevDB Information
Proton Kernel, Kernel for the ASUS ZenFone 6 (2019)

Contributors
kdrag0n
Source Code: https://github.com/kdrag0n/proton_zf6

Kernel Special Features:

Version Information
Current Stable Version: v2.0
Stable Release Date: 2019-10-01

Created 2019-09-03
Last Updated 2019-10-02
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to kdrag0n For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kdrag0n Ad-Free
3rd September 2019, 09:50 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 65

More
Bit of a noob here when it comes to custom kernels. The risks you mentioned at the beginning of your post, what do they entail? I like to improve the performance of my phone, but for as long as I'm flashing custom ROMs I haven't touched the kernel at all. Unless the developer of said ROM recommends using a certain kernel and guides me through it.
3rd September 2019, 10:07 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon

Bit of a noob here when it comes to custom kernels. The risks you mentioned at the beginning of your post, what do they entail? I like to improve the performance of my phone, but for as long as I'm flashing custom ROMs I haven't touched the kernel at all. Unless the developer of said ROM recommends using a certain kernel and guides me through it.

The typical risks: warranty void, possible bricks, etc. ROMs come with the same risks too. Realistically you should never encounter any issues that can't be easily fixed, the disclaimer is just there so people can't hold me liable if something happens to go very wrong.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kdrag0n For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kdrag0n Ad-Free
3rd September 2019, 10:44 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 65

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdrag0n

The typical risks: warranty void, possible bricks, etc. ROMs come with the same risks too. Realistically you should never encounter any issues that can't be easily fixed, the disclaimer is just there so people can't hold me liable if something happens to go very wrong.

I see, thank you for the explanation!
3rd September 2019, 07:58 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 36

More
Thanks for developing for this phone! Are artifacts caused by the 75Hz refresh rate problematic in the long-term with respect to the display's durability/performance? Or are they just visual glitches that are benign?
3rd September 2019, 09:07 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadeMe

Thanks for developing for this phone! Are artifacts caused by the 75Hz refresh rate problematic in the long-term with respect to the display's durability/performance? Or are they just visual glitches that are benign?

There shouldn't be any long-term issues, but for the paranoid, there's always a 60 Hz option available if you don't want to take any risks whatsoever.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kdrag0n For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kdrag0n Ad-Free
3rd September 2019, 10:29 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 548

More
This is amazing! I'm curious, does the display panel only allow you to refresh it so far only to 75 Hz? Or could it be pushed more without negative side effects?
3rd September 2019, 11:18 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
I am getting an error when I attempt to flash the kernel, with error code 1. No clue what could be causing the problem
4th September 2019, 12:31 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covalex

I am getting an error when I attempt to flash the kernel, with error code 1. No clue what could be causing the problem

Same error here...
4th September 2019, 08:20 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Proton Kernel v1.1 has been released. Download

Changelog:
Quote:

󠀠 󠀠 󠀠 󠀠 • Added automatic boot-time display reset for 75 Hz (removes need to toggle it manually after boot)
󠀠 󠀠 󠀠 󠀠 • Fixed installation when coming from other kernels
󠀠 󠀠 󠀠 󠀠 • Re-enabled per-app CPU frequency time-in-state stats for more accurate battery stats
󠀠 󠀠 󠀠 󠀠 • Enabled traditional CPU frequency usage stats (thanks to a CAF commit to make it work with fast frequency switching)
󠀠 󠀠 󠀠 󠀠 • Re-calculated internal display interface timings for 75 Hz (should reduce artifacts on lower-quality units)

Donate to support development

Enjoy!
The Following User Says Thank You to kdrag0n For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kdrag0n Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)