FORUMS

quick charge 4.0

374 posts
Thanks Meter: 81

By kenturky, Senior Member on 21st May 2019, 11:43 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
They added qc4, but it's more like qc3 with just 18w(9v 2A). I hope a kernel mod will allow the phone to get 27w which will charge the phone completely in approx 1h 30m to 1h 40m rather than 2h 15m with the 18w charger.

Whatcha think nerds?
The Following User Says Thank You to kenturky For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kenturky Ad-Free
22nd May 2019, 12:37 AM |#2  
I think that's a bad idea as they will have specified a battery suitable for 18W charging ...

Battery should last for ages, anyway. It's 5000mAh, very close to pure AOSP, and the display is by no means large.

If you endlessly play with the camera motor, it might drain a bit faster, but otherwise, I suspect this will have the best battery life of any phone in the small flagship class.
The Following User Says Thank You to mudnightoil For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mudnightoil Ad-Free
22nd May 2019, 03:12 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
I'm fine with QC3.0, since I've used that a lot.

But if it does come with QC4.0 then I couldn't be more happier.

With the battery capacity it has, I don't think I need to charge it all the time so QC3.0 is something extra for me.
23rd May 2019, 08:28 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 322

More
The sustained speeds should be higher due to the battery size but I wouldn't personally want to risk modding the charging speed. Sounds like they made the insulation layers pretty small to get the capacity at the expense of charging rate.

My main concern is how well it sustains the speed and the temperatures (QC4 should be decent in that regard) because any maximum speed will drop off a cliff when it gets to 70-80% anyway.
2nd June 2019, 05:13 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Does it have 4.0 or 4.0+? I've seen some spec sheets saying it has 4.0+

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk
3rd June 2019, 12:41 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 322

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedp23

Does it have 4.0 or 4.0+? I've seen some spec sheets saying it has 4.0+

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

It's really difficult to even find data on what the difference of those two are in real world scenarios. If I'm not mistaken the + version requires two PMICs (whereas it sounds like it was optional before) and I think the Zenfone might just have one. Asus themselves advertise 4 without the plus. If you ask me, Qualcomm should just have called it 5.0 to avoid the confusion especially because Qualcomm's own marketing material is very vague on this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Trixanity For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Trixanity Ad-Free
4th June 2019, 06:38 AM |#7  
Editor in Chief
Thanks Meter: 2,125

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenturky

They added qc4, but it's more like qc3 with just 18w(9v 2A). I hope a kernel mod will allow the phone to get 27w which will charge the phone completely in approx 1h 30m to 1h 40m rather than 2h 15m with the 18w charger.

Whatcha think nerds?

The phone didn't charge any faster with my Black Shark 2's QC4+ 27W charger....I need to test that again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MishaalRahman For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th June 2019, 06:37 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MishaalRahman

The phone didn't charge any faster with my Black Shark 2's QC4+ 27W charger....I need to test that again.

Yes please do that. Will be waiting for some better or whatever results. Thanks in advance.
19th June 2019, 07:52 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenturky

Whatcha think nerds?

I'd be surprised if the battery didn't get dangerously hot if it's done.

The separator wall of cathode and anode on a battery that can handle faster quick charging would need to be thicker.

Asus chose 5000mAh with a smaller separator to keep size down. In the same size, ASUS could have chosen, like many others have, to have gone with a ~4000mAh battery with a thicker wall to support 30W+ fast charging.

It comes down to trade-offs based on physics. I'm always game for experiments though
19th June 2019, 08:00 AM |#10  
Flag Herning
Thanks Meter: 89

Donate to Me
More
Did a very little test. on org charger and cable
Battery on 65% did give 7,5 Volts and 1,65-1,70 Amps
19th June 2019, 09:24 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Hello, today, I bought this phone and I plugged it into charger for the first time. However, in my opinion, the phone warms up relatively high compared to my previos samsung S8+. Have you got any experience whit this? Maybe I am too much perceptive and it's normal. And maybe it is the difference between Quick Charge 2.0 (s8+) vs Quick Charge 4.0 (asus)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)