[ROM] [UNOFFICIAL][LP 5.1.1] CarbonROM (Z00A) - Updated August 9, 2016

Search This thread

razshahan

Jul 3, 2016
Sorry, this thread is for CarbonROM-related discussion (which according to above, you did not install). With that out of the way...

Pretty sure you need original recovery in order to flash the original ROM. As for finding the TW version, I haven't the foggiest. Maybe there is something in general or you can ask in Q&A?

Yeah, I had to use original recovery to install original firmware, that's why taro wasn't working. Now problem solved. Thanks

giovan797

Apr 28, 2016
Did I miss anything? I appreciate the feedback, and any thanks as well!

XDA:DevDB Information
[ROM] [UNOFFICIAL][LP 5.1.1] CarbonROM (Z00A), ROM for the Asus ZenFone 2

Contributors
joel.maxuel
Source Code: https://github.com/carbon-z00a

ROM OS Version: 5.1.x Lollipop
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information

Created 2015-08-07
Last Updated 2016-08-09[/QUOTE]

Any prediction of a custom ROM to a version based on the stock rom MM 6.0 for Z00a? :D:D

Last edited:

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
Any prediction of a custom ROM to a version based on the stock rom MM 6.0 for Z00a? :D:D

Please clean out the OP quote in your post. There is no need to quote the OP (a mention would have got my attention just as well).

As to your question (which i consider off-topic as this is a 5.1 ROM), I heard that 6.0 vendor blobs are being tested, but nothing new has been pushed to TheMuppets yet.

giovan797

Apr 28, 2016
Please clean out the OP quote in your post. There is no need to quote the OP (a mention would have got my attention just as well).

As to your question (which i consider off-topic as this is a 5.1 ROM), I heard that 6.0 vendor blobs are being tested, but nothing new has been pushed to TheMuppets yet.

I will be alert to any news on the topic, sorry for the citation not I heed the post I quoted. :fingers-crossed::good:

gameeater

Mar 20, 2011
Dourados
First thanks for the ROM and its work.

Recently released a build of cm12.1 on 07.26.2016 which was very good.

Some Bugs are:

1 - USB connection, do not run the ADB on PC.
If selected the only load is not possible return apra MTP option.

2 - Led notifications works but apparently when you put it to charge the device stops working until it is restarted.

3 - Double-tap the screen to activate it works well, however if the phone is restarted and before lighting the screen trying to light up the screen with two touch does not work. For works have to light up the screen once with the power button so the next time it works correctly.

4 - Audio FX stops working if you change the Reverb option.

One of these is still this ROM?

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
First thanks for the ROM and its work.

Recently released a build of cm12.1 on 07.26.2016 which was very good.

Some Bugs are:

1 - USB connection, do not run the ADB on PC.
If selected the only load is not possible return apra MTP option.

2 - Led notifications works but apparently when you put it to charge the device stops working until it is restarted.

3 - Double-tap the screen to activate it works well, however if the phone is restarted and before lighting the screen trying to light up the screen with two touch does not work. For works have to light up the screen once with the power button so the next time it works correctly.

4 - Audio FX stops working if you change the Reverb option.

One of these is still this ROM?

If memory serves me correctly (I don't spend much time checking things for this ROM anymore - just if I can get to the About phone settings screen and a couple basic tasks)...

1. happens in the sense that if you switch to USB changing only, you won't be able to get back out of it (have been burned by that before)
  2. I haven't noticed
  3. can be sluggish but works without having to resort to the power button, and
  4. not sure

Hope this helps. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [ROM] [UNOFFICIAL][LP 5.1.1] CarbonROM (Z00A) - Updated August 9, 2016

Cover%2BGoogle.jpg

Another build, compiled from source. But before I get too far...

Code:
    #include 
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and
     * YOU acknowledge you are doing so at your own risk.
     */

Now that that's out of the way, this is a build of CarbonROM, using the device tree, kernel and advice from @jrior001 and @crpalmer. The current build is based off the latest CyanogenMod commits (and upstream AOSP) available at the time..

NOTICE:

Final build coming.

As work with Nougat begins, I will need to switch over to the MM bootloader. I won't be going back (downgrading) to check builds. For OctOS, as that is MM anyway, I can begin special builds (reliant on the MM bootloader) once I become established. For Carbon LP, it means the end of the road.

The September Android Security Bulletin should filter down to LP in about a week. Once that is done, I will crank out the final build, test, and post. Device-identity-wise, the only difference between the upcoming build and the one previous is the fix to the "off-path TCP" exploit. The ASB will have other fixes, but to the ROM instead (which is why I prefer to wait for the ASB).

Thank you for all the support. Cheers.​

SCREENSHOTS:

WHAT WORKS:
    • Powers on
    • Phone calls and texts
    • Mobile data (later builds)
    • Torch
    • Charges
    • MTP
    • Play Store

WHAT DOES NOT WORK:
    • GPS works, but does not seem to lock on out-of-the-box. Download your country's gps.conf and replace.
    • Doubtful NFC will work, as it does not look like that functionality is built into CarbonROM (missing nfc_enhanced.mk).
    • A random reboot was detected, at which point mobile data was lost. Toggle airplane mode to restore data.
    • As this ROM shares the same device tree as CM, this will share the same flaws. Otherwise, please tell me.

DOWNLOAD:

GAPPS:

INSTRUCTIONS:
    • Download ROM above, and a GApps package
    • Save/push files to your (External) SD card (preferably in the root folder where you can find it later)
    • Reboot into recovery ("adb reboot recovery")
    • Nandroid/Back up device (optional, but highly recommended)
    • Wipe cache and data/factory reset (unless updating from previous CarbonROM version)
    • Install ROM and GApps
    • Wipe Dalvik cache
    • Reboot
    • Enjoy!

CREDITS:
    • jrior001
    • crpalmer
    • deadman96385
    • CyanogenMod
    • CarbonDev (incl. Christian Oder)
    • Niropa
    • rirozizo
    • NSLUG

Did I miss anything? I appreciate the feedback, and any thanks as well!

XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM] [UNOFFICIAL][LP 5.1.1] CarbonROM (Z00A), ROM for the Asus ZenFone 2

Contributors
    joel.maxuel
    Source Code: https://github.com/carbon-z00a

ROM OS Version: 5.1.x Lollipop
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
    Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information

Created 2015-08-07
    Last Updated 2016-09-10
    October 4th build...13th...18th...25th...30th.

...is being uploaded as-I-write.

For changes, not much, except the stuff in the bringup topic (SOT meter always shows, differentiation of sensor ID's, and charger connect behaviour).

Unable to upload to DevDB agian, so be sure to check out AndroidFIleHost for download file!

UPDATE (why make a new post?):

Currently uploading October 13th build. AFH only once again, if DevDB gets fixed before next week I will hopefully get the latest uploaded locally.

Change-wise, took advantage of the latest frameworks_base changes in the quick-charge-ui topic (plus any other stuff that was updated in the background).

Enjoy! :)

FURTHER UPDATE

New week, new download. :D
    October 18th build is online now, in both locations.

ONE WEEK LATER

Uploading October 25th build right now, going on AFH Mirror first.

Forgot to mention last week that we have gestures now. Just need to enable them (Settings > CarbonROM Fibers > Advanced Options)

Didn't really look at the device changes or the upstream changes today (only the CM topics, which have no new code). If I take a peek in a little while, I will update this post with the coles notes.

Enjoy!

FINAL OF THE MONTH

October 30th build up. I may slow down at this point, since focus is going toward Android 6.0 on many sides. I will watch the Carbon gerrit (lp5.1.1 branch) for any significant changes.

I have been fresh flashing for the past five weeks or so and then going back to a backup, so I haven't had much time to look around. I did today, brought my backup up to current. An app failed (Agenda Widget), that didn't fail with a fresh setup. Frustrated, and after I had some eyes on the logcat, I ended up switching to a different app (one that has been maintained for the past couple years).

The features I have been looking for are finally present: automatic call forwarding; edition of tiles (I wanted my sound toggle back). I notice you can enable onscreen nav bar and disable the hardware buttons (a later flash will make you turn the long press recents back on as well). Strangely enough, SlimPIE has disappeared. But, I didn't find it's experience all that consistent anyway.

There's a glitch with the "number in the circle" battery meter, that if you set to charge, a percent will appear next to the circle as well. But that may have been my fault when I committed the quick charge UI stuff. Speaking of UI, I finally tried out CM themes. Downloaded "Dark Material", works well (except that the in-call dialer is hard to see, but no big deal right now). And I mentioned the tiles earlier. When I tried to edit them before themes Settings would FC. Now, I have no issue.

Other than that, with two hour SOT since the latest flash (and a whole lot of flashing around since this morning - about 70% once I was done rebooting), I am down to 35% battery life.

Well, enough notes for tonight.
    Other Info...

For those following along....

Project GitHub: https://github.com/carbon-z00a (complete fork of CarbonROM LP with ZF2 device projects)

LOCAL MANIFEST:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <manifest>

<remote name="cr-z00a"
    fetch="https://github.com/carbon-z00a"
    revision="lp5.1.1" />

<remote name="cm-z00a"
    fetch="https://github.com/carbon-z00a"
    revision="cm-12.1" />

<remote name="muppet"
    fetch="https://github.com/TheMuppets"
    revision="cm-12.1" />

<remote name="cyanogenmod"
    fetch="https://github.com/CyanogenMod"
    revision="cm-12.1" />

<!-- CM-ZENFONE2 DEVICE PROJECTS -->
    <project name="android_device_asus_Z00A" path="device/asus/Z00A" remote="cr-z00a" />
    <project name="android_device_asus_mofd-common" path="device/asus/mofd-common" remote="cm-z00a" />
    <project name="android_kernel_asus_moorefield" path="kernel/asus/moorefield" remote="cm-z00a" />
    <project name="proprietary_vendor_asus" path="vendor/asus" remote="muppet" />
    </manifest>

CHERRY PICK(S):

Code:
    None.

Make a new folder for and then initialize the build tree:
    Code:
    mkdir carbon
    cd carbon
    repo init -u https://github.com/carbon-z00a/android.git -b lp5.1.1

Copy your Z00A local manifest to ".repo/local_manifests/" (you may need to create the local manifests folder first), and then sync everything:
    Code:
    cp ../Z00A.xml .repo/local_manifests/
    repo sync -f

Complete all the normal steps at this point. :cowboy:

CHANGE LOG:

Besides the project git hub...

Working Build (Sept. 5th)

Well, after 10 failed builds, Carbon issued this commit, and saved my bacon. New release is up now. There should be a lot more stability now - I notice Adobe Acrobat doesn't force close anymore. Interested in what else is working better.

Change-log wise (being lazy because it's after midnight here), there is:

https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andr...mmit/c6a0a131c9027a0df341b7bb1dfce2af933b6499 (android_bootable_recovery)
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_system_core/commit/3c0e570fd28a132b2ee6c6fc73b50cb2a9702087 (android_system_core)
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andr...mmit/b922f572d10a101f003b6ba39ae760d5fd12dd84 (android_bootable_recovery)

...to my forked projects (CM upstream patches). The rest are upstream to either the device identity, to Carbon, CM, or AOSP (see post two for changelog links).

Have a great day!
    Another Build (August 22)

Uploading the latest version now...up! :cowboy:

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes:
    • Device identity using the 2.20.x firmware
    • Fix recovery image text rendering; Support resuming block based OTAs; Initialize stashbase even stash_max_blocks = 0 (android_bootable_recovery)
    • Upstream updates from August 15th to end-of-day August 21st (see post two for gerrit details)