Enable adoptable storage on ASUS Marshmallow Beta firmware

Search This thread

kanagawaben

Apr 18, 2015
Minamiashigara
Although ASUS has removed the new Marshmallow option to format the external SD Card as adoptable storage, it can easily be done via adb. Just follow this guide:

http://www.modaco.com/news/android/...e-adoptable-storage-on-your-s7-s7-edge-r1632/

The only difference I found was that on mine the drive location numbers were separated by a comma rather than a colon (i.e. 169,64).

Here is a screenshot of my 16GB model with 16GB SD card adopted:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160625-014122.jpg
    Screenshot_20160625-014122.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 4,045

xDEV007

Mar 22, 2016
Although ASUS has removed the new Marshmallow option to format the external SD Card as adoptable storage, it can easily be done via adb. Just follow this guide:

http://www.modaco.com/news/android/...e-adoptable-storage-on-your-s7-s7-edge-r1632/

The only difference I found was that on mine the drive location numbers were separated by a comma rather than a colon (i.e. 169,64).

Here is a screenshot of my 16GB model with 16GB SD card adopted:

Thanks that's super useful, I will give this a try and let you know if it works for me, I don't know why ASUS removed this feature as its probably the best feature of marshmallow, anyway I think its recommended to have a minimum of a class 10 SD card when using adoptable storage to ensure there's no slowdown when accessing things on the SD card.

kanagawaben

Apr 18, 2015
Minamiashigara
Thanks that's super useful, I will give this a try and let you know if it works for me, I don't know why ASUS removed this feature as its probably the best feature of marshmallow, anyway I think its recommended to have a minimum of a class 10 SD card when using adoptable storage to ensure there's no slowdown when accessing things on the SD card.

Pretty sure they removed it to keep things simple and because it doesn't work perfectly. Even with a class 10 SD card, it is noticeably slow. I will probably move most, if not all of my apps back to the real internal storage. But that's fine. At least it means I don't have to worry about running out of space, and don't have to manage where podcasts, videos, photos etc are being stored.

xDEV007

Mar 22, 2016
Pretty sure they removed it to keep things simple and because it doesn't work perfectly. Even with a class 10 SD card, it is noticeably slow. I will probably move most, if not all of my apps back to the real internal storage. But that's fine. At least it means I don't have to worry about running out of space, and don't have to manage where podcasts, videos, photos etc are being stored.

Yeah I guess so and the speed is a big issue, I think you'd probably have to use an UHS SD card to make it work smoothly. But still useful

kanagawaben

Apr 18, 2015
Minamiashigara
I agree about the UHS card. And even amongst regular class 10 cards, I understand there is considerable difference. Mine was a cheaper brand and performance is not great, but I'm told that Samsung Evo ones, for example, are better.

Also agree that it is a useful feature. Because it needs some management and user interaction, it's probably wise that makers like Samsung and ASUS have taken it out, as it might cause more harm than good for average users who really need things to just work. However, it's a nice feature for us tech nerd xda types :) who can handle it appropriately, and it's an easy little hack to enable it so it's all good. And let's be honest, we all enjoy little hidden extra features that we can hacktivate by ourselves!

kanagawaben

Apr 18, 2015
Minamiashigara
I swapped out my cheap generic Class 10 SDHC for a better UHS (40 Mbps) Class 10 SDHC one today. The difference is very noticeable - apps on the UHS card open almost instantaneously, unlike on the regular card, where there was a long delay before they opened.

eoghan2t7

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 18, 2011
Belfast
OPPO Find X2 Pro
OPPO Find X5 Pro
Can someone check the build.prop and tell me what this line says

ro.build.characteristics=

If it says nodscard or similar try changing it to say

ro.build.characteristics=default

And see if that will enable native adoptable storage.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00A using Tapatalk

yakub234go

Sep 9, 2011
Mumbai
Can someone check the build.prop and tell me what this line says

ro.build.characteristics=

If it says nodscard or similar try changing it to say

ro.build.characteristics=default

And see if that will enable native adoptable storage.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00A using Tapatalk

Code:
adb shell getprop | grep ro.build.characteristics
[ro.build.characteristics]: [nosdcard]

cronot

Jul 1, 2008
Campinas
Because it needs some management and user interaction, it's probably wise that makers like Samsung and ASUS have taken it out, as it might cause more harm than good for average users who really need things to just work.

You're getting it all wrong. It's all about profit. If the manufacturers leave in the option to adopt external storage, knowledgeable consumers will have no reason to spend more $$ and buy the manufacturers' devices with larger internal memory. And yes, it also saves them a lot of support issues with people complaining their phone is slow, when it turns out they are using slow SD cards.

So, it's nice that Google added that feature, but ultimately I believe very few of the really big / mainstream manufacturers will actually not disable it. As was mentioned in many articles around the 'net, this feature is really meant for AndroidOne devices, cheap devices with very little internal memory.

Zhabishe

Jan 24, 2013
Saint-Petersburg
So, could anyone post Sequential Read / Write and Random Read / Write speeds that would allow SD card to match or get close enough to ZenFone 2's internal storage?

It's really hard to choose the right SD card when every article in the Internet literally starts and ends with "class 6 card is worse than class 10 card but they are both ok for Full HD video derpaderp..." I KNOW it's OK for HD-video but that's not THE ONLY THING I am going to do with my SMART-freakin'-phone! We are not 5 years old, we can understand a bit more complicated technical specs than that.

Last edited:

Zhabishe

Jan 24, 2013
Saint-Petersburg

kanagawaben

Apr 18, 2015
Minamiashigara
Non-UHS Class 10 card was useless, but now that I am using the 40 Mbps UHS card, it's not that bad. Apps open reasonably fast and hasn't really behaved any differently. And this was a cheap 16GB card from a Japanese maker called Greenhouse that I picked up on sale for the equivalent of about $7 .

Last edited:

MJPByron

Jul 21, 2012
I was able to set up the storage as adoptable on my device, but no apps allow the option to move to the SD card. I'm guessing if I want this to happen I need to uninstall/reinstall the apps, since they go to the most available space by default?

Edit: what about copying over data to store externally on the card? Since it's formatted as internal, of course it doesn't show the card in file explorer apps or in Windows. I've got 28 gigs of media files to copy over from the old card and I'm not sure where to put it.

Last edited:

Mosole

Jan 18, 2018
Jakarta
Hallo.
I've tried to enable adoptable storage and it's success. But after 1 month, my sd card has been crash.
The problem is my (real) internal storage now only can run the app, but can't use to save file, music, video, etc. Even I can't use my camera to take photo, bcz the (real) internal storage is not available.
It's bcz when I enable the adoptable storage, it's separated the (real) internal storage only for save data app, and internal storage (from sdcard) for save data app and also file like music, photo, video, etc.
How to enable my (real) internal storage to save data file like usually?:confused::confused::confused:

Plz anyone can help? I really appreciate it.

pensas88

Dec 23, 2018
android 7.1.1 ??

Will this work on zenfone 4 max with android 7.1.1? For ADB tools, I wasn't sure what to answer (Y or N) on some of the installation questions. I said N to system wide and N to install drivers. The instructions above seemed ambiguous that you could say yes or no to skip steps, but not sure if that's why it didn't work for me or if this tutorial was for older phone software. Also I have windows 10 and power shell window not command window. Any help much appreciated!

Top Liked Posts