TO flash the CM12.1 in your Zf2 you must unlock the bootloader [WARNING: it will void the warranty]
I'm not responsible for bricked phone,try on your own risk
and official ASUS warning for unlocking bootloader ,its long so read it by clicking show content
You also acknowledge ASUS does not guarantee service satisfaction to any Revised Product, including events involving paid service requested by you to be performed to the Revised Product.
Furthermore, such repaired Revised Product will not be covered under the warranty of the Original Product; the software of the repaired Revised Product will not be deemed the software of the Original Product and will not receive ASUS software updates.
It is strongly advised that you avoid activating this App unless you fully understand and accept the risks that may arise.
- Files Needed and Required before Steps: - Just basic drivers to activate adb,fastboot system wide
- Steps For Flashing CM12.1 : - unlocking bootloader, flashing twrp recovery and then flashing CM12.1,gapps and supersu.zip
Files Needed and Required before Steps:
- Drivers for Asus Zenfone 2 installed on PC from here [mostly it will auto installed]
- ADB installed on your PC (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0M...Qnc/view?pli=1),download and install this
- And some more,which will be mentioned below
Steps For Flashing CM12.1 :
- unlock bootloader instructions:
- Download untethered twrp from here (zooa is for all ze551ml,z008 is for ze550ml),
- if the .img you just downloaded doesnt have name as twrp.img [it may have version along it] then please rename that to twrp.img[remove those versions] and turn off ur phone, plug the usb cable in ur phone port,hold the VOL UP[no need to press the power] and connect the other end of cable to PC port,wait for few seconds till the green Android robot appears. You should see a blue line below saying "Waiting Fastboot command or Continue the fastboot process"
- select the folder where you are having the twrp.img by pressing Shift + Right Click.. Then select "Open command here"...[in case you are wondering where and how see pics here or here]
- Copy and paste the following command in the command prompt window
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- after it finish the flashing[it will take less than 10sec only],u can unplug the phone, boot the phone.
- download CM12.1 latest version or nightly from here [NOTE:see the date of the build to know the latest version]
- get the gapps from here
- get the supersu.zip from here
- after downloading all zips,..place all in your micro SDCARD
- now power off, Once it is off, hold down the volume up button and hold on to the power button until the phone vibrates. After the vibration stops, release the power button and continue pressing the volume up button until the green Android robot appears. You should see a blue line below saying "Waiting Fastboot command" ,Now here click vol down till you see Recovery mode in top big rectangle box,click power button
- it will enter twrp,first take the backup of ur current OS[tick everything], choose sdcard for backup,so u can restore if u want to use stock at some point[even the apps will be there,but if you kept the obb,data in internal,it will be wiped,so better copy android folder to pc]
- now click wipe,click advanced wipe,select everything except the microsd [be careful],if u want to keep the internal files,then untick internal storage also
- Click the install,choose externalSD, search for those zip,and install CM.zip ,then install Gapps.zip,then supersu.zip,now reboot..
- Enjoy the CM12.1 in ZF2
Credits : there are lot of ppl who contributed to have CM12.1 in zf2 than those who i mentioned below,thanks for them also..
@sorg for new unlocked bootloader without root
@shakalaca for old unlocked bootloader with root
@ravian29 for unlocking guide
@TheSSJ for TWRP ,thread is here
@jrior001 , @crpalmer , @hharte for CM12.1