FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Guide to Flash CM12.1 in ZF2 for newbies

1,492 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,240

Post Reply Email Thread
Guys don't use this guide for now, don't use official unlocking method for now..

TO flash the CM12.1 in your Zf2 you must unlock the bootloader [WARNING: it will void the warranty]
I'm not responsible for bricked phone,try on your own risk
and official ASUS warning for unlocking bootloader ,its long so read it by clicking show content
Before you download, install, and use the Unlock Device App you acknowledge and assume complete risk to the quality and performance of this App, including but not limited to the following: once you activate the App you will not be able to recover your ASUS product (“Original Product”) back to original locked conditions; the Original Product with the activated App will not be deemed the Original Product; the Revised Product will no longer be covered under the warranty of the Original Product; the software of Revised Product will no longer be deemed the software of the Original Product and can no longer receive ASUS software updates; your purchased digital content may also be affected.

You also acknowledge ASUS does not guarantee service satisfaction to any Revised Product, including events involving paid service requested by you to be performed to the Revised Product.
Furthermore, such repaired Revised Product will not be covered under the warranty of the Original Product; the software of the repaired Revised Product will not be deemed the software of the Original Product and will not receive ASUS software updates.
It is strongly advised that you avoid activating this App unless you fully understand and accept the risks that may arise.
What this guide giving steps for:[just more like summary]
  1. Files Needed and Required before Steps: - Just basic drivers to activate adb,fastboot system wide
  2. Steps For Flashing CM12.1 : - unlocking bootloader, flashing twrp recovery and then flashing CM12.1,gapps and supersu.zip

Files Needed and Required before Steps:
Steps For Flashing CM12.1 :
  1. unlock bootloader instructions:
    • Update your software image to V2.20.40.59 or latest version
    • download app for ZE551ML[all 2gb,4gb] here and for ZE550Ml here
    • install, and use the Unlock Device App downloaded from above step
  2. Download untethered twrp from here (zooa is for all ze551ml,z008 is for ze550ml),
  3. if the .img you just downloaded doesnt have name as twrp.img [it may have version along it] then please rename that to twrp.img[remove those versions] and turn off ur phone, plug the usb cable in ur phone port,hold the VOL UP[no need to press the power] and connect the other end of cable to PC port,wait for few seconds till the green Android robot appears. You should see a blue line below saying "Waiting Fastboot command or Continue the fastboot process"
  4. select the folder where you are having the twrp.img by pressing Shift + Right Click.. Then select "Open command here"...[in case you are wondering where and how see pics here or here]
  5. Copy and paste the following command in the command prompt window
    Code:
     fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
  6. after it finish the flashing[it will take less than 10sec only],u can unplug the phone, boot the phone.
  7. download CM12.1 latest version or nightly from here [NOTE:see the date of the build to know the latest version]
  8. get the gapps from here
  9. get the supersu.zip from here
  10. after downloading all zips,..place all in your micro SDCARD
  11. now power off, Once it is off, hold down the volume up button and hold on to the power button until the phone vibrates. After the vibration stops, release the power button and continue pressing the volume up button until the green Android robot appears. You should see a blue line below saying "Waiting Fastboot command" ,Now here click vol down till you see Recovery mode in top big rectangle box,click power button
  12. it will enter twrp,first take the backup of ur current OS[tick everything], choose sdcard for backup,so u can restore if u want to use stock at some point[even the apps will be there,but if you kept the obb,data in internal,it will be wiped,so better copy android folder to pc]
  13. now click wipe,click advanced wipe,select everything except the microsd [be careful],if u want to keep the internal files,then untick internal storage also
  14. Click the install,choose externalSD, search for those zip,and install CM.zip ,then install Gapps.zip,then supersu.zip,now reboot..
  15. Enjoy the CM12.1 in ZF2
For bugs ,discussion please goto Main Thread: here
BUGS: here

Credits : there are lot of ppl who contributed to have CM12.1 in zf2 than those who i mentioned below,thanks for them also..
@sorg for new unlocked bootloader without root
@shakalaca for old unlocked bootloader with root
@ravian29 for unlocking guide
@TheSSJ for TWRP ,thread is here
@jrior001 , @crpalmer , @hharte for CM12.1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	twrpimg.jpg
Views:	8182
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	3419716   Click image for larger version

Name:	twrpim2.jpg
Views:	7564
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	3419717  
The Following 38 Users Say Thank You to ansebovi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ansebovi Ad-Free

26th July 2015, 01:30 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 58

More
This ROM is only for the Z00A?

Sent from my ASUS_Z008D using Tapatalk
26th July 2015, 01:41 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 894

Donate to Me
More
Added to index, thanks for your work!
The Following User Says Thank You to cmendonc2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cmendonc2 Ad-Free
26th July 2015, 02:43 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chennai

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatItami

This ROM is only for the Z00A?

551ml (z00A and z00ad)
For now not supported for 550ml..
26th July 2015, 02:44 PM |#5  

More
Okay. Nice tutorial.

26th July 2015, 09:47 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
OK, so far I'm unlocked. But, I'm stuck on step 3 - select the folder where you are having the twrp.img by pressing Shift + Right Click.. Then select "Open command here"

EDIT:Got it! I had to open the actual folder first with TWRP in it (adb is where I put it) in my C drive then the right click + shift works as you said within the folder - thanks so much for this tutorial!
26th July 2015, 09:54 PM |#7  

More
Is it neccessary to be on 2.19.40.22? There wasn't much of a difference between 2.19.40.20 and 2.19.40.22. Would I have to flash the OTA then flash CM? Also, do you recommend wiping cache/dalvik after flashing GAPPS just in case?
PS: Thank you Ansebovi! All your guides are easy to read and follow.
27th July 2015, 01:09 AM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by texla

OK, so far I'm unlocked. But, I'm stuck on step 3 - select the folder where you are having the twrp.img by pressing Shift + Right Click.. Then select "Open command here"

EDIT:Got it! I had to open the actual folder first with TWRP in it (adb is where I put it) in my C drive then the right click + shift works as you said within the folder - thanks so much for this tutorial!

I did it by downloading Terminal for Android and putting the image on the internal storage and then opening Terminal and did this
su
dd if=/sdcard/twrp.img of=/dev/block/by-name/recovery
reboot recovery
27th July 2015, 01:34 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
CM12 zip is downloading really slow...i know its only 350mb but is going at barely 45kb/s ..is this normal? i know its not my connection -.-
27th July 2015, 03:15 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chennai

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by texla

http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...1&d=1437962670
both works
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntrasme

Is it neccessary to be on 2.19.40.22? There wasn't much of a difference between 2.19.40.20 and 2.19.40.22. Would I have to flash the OTA then flash CM? Also, do you recommend wiping cache/dalvik after flashing GAPPS just in case?
PS: Thank you Ansebovi! All your guides are easy to read and follow.

i updated from .20 and i had the mtp bug which others didnt have,..so i think its better to have .22 , try with .20 and look for bugs..only problem,u cant report the bug to them,since they are seeing with .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjvzla

CM12 zip is downloading really slow...i know its only 350mb but is going at barely 45kb/s ..is this normal? i know its not my connection -.-

no i downloaded the zip with 700KBps-1MBps ,definitely no problem from their side
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ansebovi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ansebovi Ad-Free
27th July 2015, 03:23 AM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansebovi

both works

i updated from .20 and i had the mtp bug which others didnt have,..so i think its better to have .22 , try with .20 and look for bugs..only problem,u cant report the bug to them,since they are seeing with .22

no i downloaded the zip with 700KBps-1MBps ,definitely no problem from their side

OK, thank you. BTW do you know if TWRP can sideload the ota zips? Is there a conflict if I use ProjectT kernel while sideloading OTA? You are more knowledged than me.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)