FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Bootloader Unlock, Root, Xposed and TWRP On Asus Zenfone 2 (Android 5+)

496 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,756

Post Reply Email Thread
Working On MM-WW-4.21.40.352 Z00A Z00AD And on Latest versions
MM-WW-4.21.40.327 Z00A Z00AD
MM-WW-4.21.40.223 Z00A Z00AD

Latest Stable Magisk : v16.3 Updated 28 March 2018. If there is update you will surely find it in telegram group. I don't visit xda much.

To download, Go to "Magisk" folder In download folder.
If you are using Magisk 12, Then first flash Magisk 12 uninstaller, then flash Latest Magisk from Twrp.
If Safetynet Fails, Then enable "Hide Magisk" in settings from magisk manager.
Warning:
  • Rooting voids warranty. Also If some damage occurs because of wrong steps taken by you, Neither me nor forum is responsible. Do at your Own risk. Though I'm sure If you follow the steps carefully you wont get problem.
  • Prefer to backup your device apps and data.
  • First read the post twice carefully then proceed.
  • I may change name of files in folder. Use common sense to identify them.

If you want to flash stock rom then visit here Flash Stock Rom Zenfone 2

Features:
  • Magisk ManagerNEW
  • MagiskLatest Warning: Never update magisk from the app. Flash the latest zip from here, otherwise you will get bootloop.
  • Systemless Xposed
  • TWRP Latest
  • UnRoot (Magisk SuperUser only)

Requirements:
1. Phone should be charged at least 60%.
2. Android USB Driver should be installed already, if it is not then install all drivers in the "Drivers Folder".
3. Enable USB Debugging.
For that go to "Settings" ,Scroll to bottom goto "about", goto "Software Information", tap "Build number" upto 7 times or till it
says "You are a developer now". Then go to "Settings" you will find "Developer Options", open it and enable "USB Debugging"

ALL .BAT FILES TO BE RUN IN FASTBOOT MODE ONLY, IF YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT FASTBOOT MODE THEN GOOGLE "HOW TO GET FASTBOOT MODE IN ASUS ZENFONE 2.
"

There are two parts which should be followed precisely.
1. Unlock Bootloader and Install TWRP.
2. Root and Install Xposed*
*=Though Xposed is not necessary but Xposed is very helpful, so its your choice.

Part 1: Unlock Bootloader and Install TWRP.
Step 1: Connect your phone to PC, make sure usb debugging is "ON".
Step 2: Go to the folder and run "Bootloader Unlocker.bat" .
Wait for command to execute.
When you see "Unlock Successful" in your phone, your phone will shut down. Then keep hold Volume Up button on your phone until you see bootloader again. Then follow the instructions. If You Missed it, the close the application. Boot your phone into fastboot mode and try again..
Step 3: If you are in fastboot/bootloader mode then use "TWRP.bat" otherwise first go to fastboot/bootloader mode and then use "TWRP.bat"
It will install twrp. When you first go to twrp. Tick Always allow modifications.

Part 2: Root and Install Xposed
Step 1: Boot to fastboot mode.
Step 2: For rooting. First use "ROOT UNROOT MAGISK.bat", follow any given instruction in script.
Step 3: If you want Xposed, then use "XPOSED.bat" in fastboot mode and follow any instruction in script.
Step 4: Reboot to system.
Your phone may optimize for 5-10 minutes depending upon number of apps Installed.
YOUR PHONE SHOULD BE ROOTED NOW.

Unroot
Step 1: Boot to fastboot mode.
Step 2: For unrooting. First use "ROOT UNROOT MAGISK.bat", follow any given instruction in script for unroot.

For Any querry or doubt please ask.
Every Suggestion welcomed. Also you can join telegram group to get help and help others.

https://telegram.me/joinchat/ESGRD0Erde3o4dRPSzkBCQ

If the guide works for you or you want to thank me for development of tools then you can donate me via
Paypal paypal.me/KapilTapsi (You can donate any amount, It will be of great help)

FAQ
1. Stuck at white screen with asus logo?
Sol. a) White screen means you are unlocked (action of unlock.bat), so you may give a try to restore.bat in fastboot mode.
b) If you can go to recovery mode then you can go to previous state(before starting unlocking) by using adb command
First boot to recovery(it should be the stock one), you'll see dead android logo, keep pressing power -then vol up-then release vol up- now release power. (This should be quick, otherwise pressing power button for too long will shut you down)
When successfull, you'll see options, choose apply update from adb, and follow command
Code:
adb sideload mm.zip
You must rename the downloaded zip to mm.zip . Or you can replace mm.zip to xxxxxxxxxxx.zip (whatever the name of downloaded zip)
Warning Before that you must download same version full firmware from asus website Here

2. Having problems with device connection? like waiting for device.
Sol. Make sure you have enabled USB Debugging (Not applicable for BL Unlocking and TWRP Flashing)
Uninstall all drivers previously installed on computer(every driver of any device)
Reboot your computer. And then install all drivers given in the driver folder.
If the problem persists, try different computer and different usb cable.

3. Facing permission denied in fastboot mode or while running script files.
Sol. Try disabling your lock screen security to none.

4. Want to relock bootloader?
Sol. No possible way for now. The post will be updated if it ever comes.

5. Safetynet Failed?
Sol. 1. Have you enabled Magisk Hide in the settings of Magisk Manager? Try toggle to disable, and re-enable again.
2. If you are using SuperSU, you often need suhide, or maybe other solutions. Developer do not have control of how SuperSU behaves.
3. It might be due to xposed. Either you remove xposed or wait for future updates.

Download files from here
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=273540 AFH Link
All Files in folder are not useful for this purpose, but are used for other purpose also. You can download them if you want.
File credits.
Giovix92
topjohnwu

Some tools are not made by me. This guide is genuine based on my experience.

Generous Donor(s):
1. Peter Fedorow (20 Canadian Dollar)
2. Nicola Roncari (20 Euro)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Magisk-v16.3-ZF2-signed.zip - [Click for QR Code] (5.38 MB, 7438 views)
File Type: zip Magisk-uninstaller-20180328.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.61 MB, 3220 views)
File Type: apk MagiskManager-v5.6.4.apk - [Click for QR Code] (1.88 MB, 3800 views)
The Following 75 Users Say Thank You to Kapil Tapsi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Kapil Tapsi Ad-Free

6th September 2016, 10:01 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Hi, warranty will be void? Or still usable?
6th September 2016, 11:11 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Hi, in the 5th step, installing twrp does not seem to work and my computer cannot find my device (using adb devices computer cannot find the phone)

flash recovery twrp.img
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
sending 'recovery' (15316 KB)...
OKAY 0.686s
writing 'recovery'...
FAILED (remote: Permission denied)
finished. total time: 0.849s

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguywithaname

Hi, inthe 5th step, installing twrp does not seem to work and my computer cannot find my device (using adb devices computer cannot find the phone)

flash recovery twrp.img
OKAY 0.686s
writing 'recovery'...

Ah nevermind I found the solution to the problem. From bootloader mode all I had to do was boot into recovery and then I got into twrp. Thanks anyway.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aguywithaname For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift aguywithaname Ad-Free
7th September 2016, 01:25 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Hi it's me again. Why do I lose root after I reboot/restart my phone?
The Following User Says Thank You to aguywithaname For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift aguywithaname Ad-Free
7th September 2016, 05:17 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 87

More
You bricked your phones 3 times, i also bricked mine can you tell me how to unbrick?? @Kapil Tapsi
7th September 2016, 05:24 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag New Delhi

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by biondo_92

Hi, warranty will be void? Or still usable?

No. But if you unlock by this method you can get your warranty by flashing clean marshmallow or lollipop.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kapil Tapsi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Kapil Tapsi Ad-Free
7th September 2016, 05:27 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag New Delhi

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Hi, in the 5th step, installing twrp does not seem to work and my computer cannot find my device (using adb devices computer cannot find the phone)

flash recovery twrp.img
OKAY 0.686s
writing 'recovery'...

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

Ah nevermind I found the solution to the problem. From bootloader mode all I had to do was boot into recovery and then I got into twrp. Thanks anyway.

Thanks. Permission denied to write means bootloader is still locked
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kapil Tapsi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Kapil Tapsi Ad-Free
7th September 2016, 05:30 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag New Delhi

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Hi it's me again. Why do I lose root after I reboot/restart my phone?

If you successfully followed these steps then root will persist. Check your steps. I've done this in 3 phones successfully.
7th September 2016, 05:33 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag New Delhi

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayush.gl

You bricked your phones 3 times, i also bricked mine can you tell me how to unbrick?? @Kapil Tapsi

Yes, But before that I need to know some things.
1. Your phone can be powered on(meaningless but still want to know.)
2. Can you reach bootloader.? I.e. fastboot mode.
3. Or you cannot see any bootloader while pressing volume + and power, but your phone is only showing asus logo.
7th September 2016, 05:42 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Is there any way to access TWRP recovery after all is said and done? When ever I try to go into recovery via fastboot, it just takes me back to fastboot again.
7th September 2016, 09:11 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag New Delhi

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaza98

Is there any way to access TWRP recovery after all is said and done? When ever I try to go into recovery via fastboot, it just takes me back to fastboot again.

Yes but you have to unlock bootloader again using unlock.bat and go to recovery menu flash whatever you want, reboot to bootloader again and run restore.bat.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kapil Tapsi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Kapil Tapsi Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)