Bootloader Unlock, Root, Xposed and TWRP On Asus Zenfone 2 (Android 5+)

Search This thread

fikusekk

Jan 1, 2015
Hi, I have unlocked Bootloader and installed TWRP. Can I now follow these steps? :

1. Update via stock OTA to 4.21.40.327
2. Root and Install Xposed

I would like to have the latest version rooted, but I know that OTA doesn't work then. But now, it's not too late to update, right?
Also does anybody know whether I can root the 4.21.40.327 version? Thanks!

ray_O7

Jun 16, 2017
Bootloader unlock,twrp,root,custom rom

No. At present there is no other way. The only way is flashing the zip that too with little possibility of bootloop. If you really want to try, make sure to have backup.

Sent from my Asus Zenfone 2 using XDA Labs

Your method for unlocking bootloader is not working in ww-4.21.41.223. Suggest me other method for unlocking bootloader and intalling twrp recovery. ASAP

Kapil Tapsi

Sep 16, 2014
New Delhi
Hi, I have unlocked Bootloader and installed TWRP. Can I now follow these steps? :

1. Update via stock OTA to 4.21.40.327
2. Root and Install Xposed

I would like to have the latest version rooted, but I know that OTA doesn't work then. But now, it's not too late to update, right?
Also does anybody know whether I can root the 4.21.40.327 version? Thanks!

Download new rom. Extract stock recovery from it. Flash stock recovery using fastboot. Then flash the new rom.zip using adb.

Then use the root tools that you uses last time. They will work.

ray_O7

Jun 16, 2017
Not working

Working On MM-WW-4.21.40.223 Z00A Z00AD
MM-WW-4.21.40.184 Z00A Z00AD

Warning:
  • Rooting voids warranty. Also If some damage occurs because of wrong steps taken by you, Neither me nor forum is responsible. Do at your Own risk. Though I'm sure If you follow the steps carefully you wont get problem.
  • Prefer to backup your device apps and data.
  • First read the post twice carefully then proceed.
  • I may change name of files in folder. Use common sense to identify them.

If you want to flash custom rom then visit here Flash Stock Rom Zenfone 2

Features:
  • Magisk Manager NEW
  • Magisk Latest Warning: Never update magisk from the app. Flash the latest zip from here, otherwise you will get bootloop.
  • Magisk SuperUser
  • Systemless Xposed V87
  • TWRP Latest
  • UnRoot (Magisk SuperUser only)

Requirements:
1. Phone should be charged at least 60%.
2. Android USB Driver should be installed already, if it is not then install all drivers in the "Drivers Folder".
3. Enable USB Debugging.
For that go to "Settings" ,Scroll to bottom goto "about", goto "Software Information", tap "Build number" upto 7 times or till it
says "You are a developer now". Then go to "Settings" you will find "Developer Options", open it and enable "USB Debugging"

ALL .BAT FILES TO BE RUN IN FASTBOOT MODE ONLY, IF YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT FASTBOOT MODE THEN GOOGLE "HOW TO GET FASTBOOT MODE IN ASUS ZENFONE 2.
"

There are two parts which should be followed precisely.
1. Unlock Bootloader and Install TWRP.
2. Root and Install Xposed*
*=Though Xposed is not necessary but Xposed is very helpful, so its your choice.

Part 1: Unlock Bootloader and Install TWRP.
Step 1: Connect your phone to PC, make sure usb debugging is "ON".
Step 2: Go to the folder and run "Bootloader Unlocker.bat" .
Wait for command to execute.
When you see "Unlock Successful" in your phone, your phone will shut down. Then keep hold Volume Up button on your phone until you see bootloader again. Then follow the instructions. If You Missed it, the close the application. Boot your phone into fastboot mode and try again..
Step 3: If you are in fastboot/bootloader mode then use "TWRP.bat" otherwise first go to fastboot/bootloader mode and then use "TWRP.bat"
It will install twrp. When you first go to twrp. Tick Always allow modifications.

This method is not working ...
..suggest me what to do now to unlock bootloader.

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 PM ----------

The method works 100%. You facing any errors. Show ​
Image or error here so I can understand what the problem is.

When i run bootloader unlock.bat its shows every thing is done flash twrp recovery than i click on twrp.bat than after flashing twrp and going into recovery it again goes to fastboot mode.

Kapil Tapsi

Sep 16, 2014
New Delhi
This method is not working ...
..suggest me what to do now to unlock bootloader.

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 PM ----------

When i run bootloader unlock.bat its shows every thing is done flash twrp recovery than i click on twrp.bat than after flashing twrp and going into recovery it again goes to fastboot mode.

You sure you using marshmallow? Did you see some thing like "restoring marshmallow bootloader" or "unlock successful reboot in 5 seconds"? Use files provided here. Most of the people have successfully done procedure without problems & those who had problems got sorted out so don't worry.

I am asking you to join telegram group as I come on xda once or twice a day or in a week?
There are many people who had same experiences like you.
https://telegram.me/joinchat/ESGRD0Erde3o4dRPSzkBCQ

ekosemut

Jan 20, 2014
Surabaya
shop.ekosemut-art.com

Warning:
  • Rooting voids warranty. Also If some damage occurs because of wrong steps taken by you, Neither me nor forum is responsible. Do at your Own risk. Though I'm sure If you follow the steps carefully you wont get problem.

If you want to flash stock rom then visit here Flash Stock Rom Zenfone 2

Features:
  • Magisk Manager NEW
  • Magisk Latest Warning: Never update magisk from the app. Flash the latest zip from here, otherwise you will get bootloop.
  • Magisk SuperUser
  • Systemless Xposed V87
  • TWRP Latest

Requirements:
2. Android USB Driver should be installed already, if it is not then install all drivers in the "Drivers Folder".
3. Enable USB Debugging.
For that go to "Settings" ,Scroll to bottom goto "about", goto "Software Information", tap "Build number" upto 7 times or till it
says "You are a developer now". Then go to "Settings" you will find "Developer Options", open it and enable "USB Debugging"

ALL .BAT FILES TO BE RUN IN FASTBOOT MODE ONLY, IF YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT FASTBOOT MODE THEN GOOGLE "HOW TO GET FASTBOOT MODE IN ASUS ZENFONE 2.
"

*=Though Xposed is not necessary but Xposed is very helpful, so its your choice.

When you see "Unlock Successful" in your phone, your phone will shut down. Then keep hold Volume Up button on your phone until you see bootloader again. Then follow the instructions. If You Missed it, the close the application. Boot your phone into fastboot mode and try again..
Step 3: If you are in fastboot/bootloader mode then use "TWRP.bat" otherwise first go to fastboot/bootloader mode and then use "TWRP.bat"
It will install twrp. When you first go to twrp. Tick Always allow modifications.

Part 2: Root and Install Xposed
Step 1: Boot to fastboot mode.
Step 2: For rooting. First use "ROOT UNROOT MAGISK.bat", follow any given instruction in script.
Step 3: If you want Xposed, then use "XPOSED.bat" in fastboot mode and follow any instruction in script.
Step 4: Reboot to system.
Your phone may optimize for 5-10 minutes depending upon number of apps Installed.
YOUR PHONE SHOULD BE ROOTED NOW.

Unroot
Step 2: For unrooting. First use "ROOT UNROOT MAGISK.bat", follow any given instruction in script for unroot.

For Any querry or doubt please ask. :D:confused:
Every Suggestion welcomed. Also you can join telegram group to get help and help others.

If the guide works for you or you want to thank me for development of tools then you can donate me via
Paypal paypal.me/KapilTapsi (You can donate any amount, It will be of great help)

FAQ
1. Stuck at white screen with asus logo?
Sol. a) White screen means you are unlocked (action of unlock.bat), so you may give a try to restore.bat in fastboot mode.
b) If you can go to recovery mode then you can go to previous state(before starting unlocking) by using adb command
First boot to recovery(it should be the stock one), you'll see dead android logo, keep pressing power -then vol up-then release vol up- now release power. (This should be quick, otherwise pressing power button for too long will shut you down)
When successfull, you'll see options, choose apply update from adb, and follow command
Code:
adb sideload mm.zip
You must rename the downloaded zip to mm.zip . Or you can replace mm.zip to xxxxxxxxxxx.zip (whatever the name of downloaded zip)
Warning Before that you must download same version full firmware from asus website Here

2. Having problems with device connection? like waiting for device.
Sol. Make sure you have enabled USB Debugging (Not applicable for BL Unlocking and TWRP Flashing)
Uninstall all drivers previously installed on computer(every driver of any device)
Reboot your computer. And then install all drivers given in the driver folder.
If the problem persists, try different computer and different usb cable.

3. Facing permission denied in fastboot mode or while running script files.
Sol. Try disabling your lock screen security to none.

4. Want to relock bootloader?
Sol. No possible way for now. The post will be updated if it ever comes.

5. Safetynet Failed?
Sol. 1. Have you enabled Magisk Hide in the settings of Magisk Manager? Try toggle to disable, and re-enable again.
2. If you are using SuperSU, you often need suhide, or maybe other solutions. Developer do not have control of how SuperSU behaves.
3. It might be due to xposed. Either you remove xposed or wait for future updates.

Download files from here
https://goo.gl/0Oht7o
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6SZRpR9Q7C5RzFDMUx0bFkycEE
All Files in folder are not useful for this purpose, but are used for other purpose also. You can download them if you want.
File credits.
adrian1234a
Giovix92
topjohnwu

Some tools are not made by me. This guide is genuine based on my experience.

Do you guys know if ze551ml there is update version WW-4.21.40.327..! I have been successful root. But for this latest version, safetynet failed even without the xposed install

Last edited:

Kapil Tapsi

Sep 16, 2014
New Delhi

Warning:Rooting voids warranty. Also If some damage occurs because of wrong steps taken by you, Neither me nor forum is responsible. Do at your Own risk. Though I'm sure If you follow the steps carefully you wont get problem.

Prefer to backup your device apps and data.

First read the post twice carefully then proceed.

I may change name of files in folder. Use common sense to identify them.

Features:
Magisk Manager NEW
Magisk LatestWarning: Never update magisk from the app. Flash the latest zip from here, otherwise you will get bootloop.
Magisk SuperUser
Systemless Xposed V87
TWRP Latest
UnRoot (Magisk SuperUser only)

Requirements:
3. Enable USB Debugging.

"

Step 2: For rooting. First use "ROOT UNROOT MAGISK.bat", follow any given instruction in script.
Step 3: If you want Xposed, then use "XPOSED.bat" in fastboot mode and follow any instruction in script.
Your phone may optimize for 5-10 minutes depending upon number of apps Installed.

Unroot
Step 2: For unrooting. First use "ROOT UNROOT MAGISK.bat", follow any given instruction in script for unroot.

Every Suggestion welcomed. Also you can join telegram group to get help and help others.

If the guide works for you or you want to thank me for development of tools then you can donate me via
Paypal paypal.me/KapilTapsi (You can donate any amount, It will be of great help)

FAQ
Sol. a) White screen means you are unlocked (action of unlock.bat), so you may give a try to restore.bat in fastboot mode.
b) If you can go to recovery mode then you can go to previous state(before starting unlocking) by using adb command
First boot to recovery(it should be the stock one), you'll see dead android logo, keep pressing power -then vol up-then release vol up- now release power. (This should be quick, otherwise pressing power button for too long will shut you down)
When successfull, you'll see options, choose apply update from adb, and follow command

Do you guys know if ze551ml there is update version WW-4.21.40.327..! I have been successful root. But for this latest version, safetynet failed even without the xposed install
I am uploading magisk 13 it passes safetynet.

Sent from my Asus ZenFone 2 using XDA Labs

Kapil Tapsi

Sep 16, 2014
New Delhi
Updated:
Latest Magisk Beta: v13.0 (96f8efc) (code: 1306)
Bundled Magisk Manager: v5.0.2

Magisk v13+ is NOT compatible with Magisk Manager lower than v5.0.0
Magisk Manager v5+ is NOT compatible with Magisk lower than v13.0
Both have to be upgraded together in order to work properly. It will install with zip automatically.
Use the uninstaller in the main thread to uninstall any verison of Magisk installation

Kapil Tapsi

Sep 16, 2014
New Delhi

Attachments

• photo_2017-06-22_21-22-07.jpg
    photo_2017-06-22_21-22-07.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

keshav_c17

Magisk Updated 16.6.17.
Thanks for reminder.
First of a lot of thanks to topjohnwu for this superb update of magisk v13 and secondly thanks to you kapil for adding the ZenFone 2 signature. We hope that you will be updating the Magisk for ZenFone 2 regularly as soon as the new magisk update get releases in future. As of now its working perfect. Cheers!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170622-213033.png
    Screenshot_20170622-213033.png
    136 KB · Views: 95

Kapil Tapsi

Sep 16, 2014
New Delhi
First of a lot of thanks to topjohnwu for this superb update of magisk v13 and secondly thanks to you kapil for adding the ZenFone 2 signature. We hope that you will be updating the Magisk for ZenFone 2 regularly as soon as the new magisk update get releases in future. As of now its working perfect. Cheers!!
No problem. I will always update latest magisk.
Thanks for support.

keshav_c17

Hello @Kapil Tapsi,
Thanks for your work of modifying magisk v13 for ZenFone 2 till now but Finally i have figured out that how to add ZenFone 2 signature to the magisk. 24/06/2017 new beta update is released but you haven't updated it yet for ZenFone 2 thats what made me to Analyze the files of Magisk. After that i added the signature myself only and it worked perfectly.
Thank you.

quack75

Sep 24, 2012
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
Hello @Kapil Tapsi,
Thanks for your work of modifying magisk v13 for ZenFone 2 till now but Finally i have figured out that how to add ZenFone 2 signature to the magisk. 24/06/2017 new beta update is released but you haven't updated it yet for ZenFone 2 thats what made me to Analyze the files of Magisk. After that i added the signature myself only and it worked perfectly.
Thank you.

So please share your work. We are a community dont forget:D

keshav_c17

So please share your work. We are a community dont forget:D
Here you go. I have attached the 24/06/2017 update of Magisk v13 beta modified for ZenFone 2 and the official Magisk Uninstaller.
In this latest update few people are facing crashes of magisk manager when they click on Magisk Manger's Superuser. I was also facing same issue after updating. So the moderator of Magisk forum has recommended to clean install this update without the modules and also told to clear both of the caches from recovery. So what i did is first uninstalled the Magisk then wiped Dalvik cache and simple cache. Then installed this update file and rebooted the System and everything worked perfectly. No more crashes. You can further on install your modules.
Though you won't be facing any issues like bootloop or anything but in case you did then i wont be responsible for that. In such cases make sure you have old working magisk file to flash.
Note: I have just modified it, actual credit goes to @adrian1234a and @topjohnwu

Attachments

• Magisk-uninstaller-20170608.zip
    617.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_20170625-211136.png
    Screenshot_20170625-211136.png
    134.8 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:

Templanza

Nov 18, 2014
Can't install magiks

Hello, i am stuck on the step" 2.2 For rooting. First use "ROOT UNROOT MAGISK.bat".

- Creating /data/magisk.img
! Magisk image mount failed...
Updater process ended with ERROR: 1
Error installing zip file '/sdcard/magisk.zip'
Done processing script file
Now Download/Update "Magisk Manager" .....

quicktrick

Sep 9, 2011
Hi,

I've just found this thread. Could you please tell me where I am wrong? In fact I'm a newbie to this phone because it's my wife's phone. I'm a newbie to Magisk too.

Yesterday I unlocked the bootloader, installed the new one, TWRP and lineage-14.1-20170624-nightly-Z00A-signed.zip + addonsu-14.1-x86-signed.zip. Everything worked fine except root. Then I removed addonsu and tried to install Magisk-v13.0(54e6a79).zip from this thread via TWRP. After that I got endless reboot to TWRP. I restored the system from the backup I had made before installing Magisk.

What do I need to do now to install Magisk and make it work properly? Is it enough just to use "ROOT UNROOT MAGISK.bat" and after that install Magisk-v13.0(54e6a79)_modified-ZenFone_2.zip from this thread?

And some more questions.
1. May I dirty flash LineageOS updates after installing Magisk?
2. May I wipe cache/dalvik after installing Magisk?

Thank you in advance.

Edit. I had a look at "ROOT UNROOT MAGISK.bat" and found that it just installs Magisk for rooting. Is Magisk-v13.0(54e6a79)_modified-ZenFone_2.zip modified to not cause bootloop on this phone?

Edit 2. Got it working. Thanks a lot for the software!

Last edited:

Kapil Tapsi

Sep 16, 2014
New Delhi
Hello, i am stuck on the step" 2.2 For rooting. First use "ROOT UNROOT MAGISK.bat".

- Creating /data/magisk.img
! Magisk image mount failed...
Updater process ended with ERROR: 1
Error installing zip file '/sdcard/magisk.zip'
Done processing script file
Now Download/Update "Magisk Manager" .....
You have to send screenshot of phone as well as pc to get me more idea about problem

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Working On MM-WW-4.21.40.352 Z00A Z00AD And on Latest versions
    MM-WW-4.21.40.327 Z00A Z00AD
    MM-WW-4.21.40.223 Z00A Z00AD

Latest Stable Magisk : v16.3 Updated 28 March 2018. If there is update you will surely find it in telegram group. I don't visit xda much.

To download, Go to "Magisk" folder In download folder.
    If you are using Magisk 12, Then first flash Magisk 12 uninstaller, then flash Latest Magisk from Twrp.
    If Safetynet Fails, Then enable "Hide Magisk" in settings from magisk manager.
    Warning:

Features:
    • Magisk ManagerNEW
    • MagiskLatest Warning: Never update magisk from the app. Flash the latest zip from here, otherwise you will get bootloop.
    • Systemless Xposed
    • TWRP Latest

Requirements:
    3. Enable USB Debugging.

"

Unroot

FAQ
    Code:
    adb sideload mm.zip
    You must rename the downloaded zip to mm.zip . Or you can replace mm.zip to xxxxxxxxxxx.zip (whatever the name of downloaded zip)
    Warning Before that you must download same version full firmware from asus website Here

2. Having problems with device connection? like waiting for device.
    Sol. Make sure you have enabled USB Debugging (Not applicable for BL Unlocking and TWRP Flashing)
    Uninstall all drivers previously installed on computer(every driver of any device)
    Reboot your computer. And then install all drivers given in the driver folder.
    If the problem persists, try different computer and different usb cable.

3. Facing permission denied in fastboot mode or while running script files.
    Sol. Try disabling your lock screen security to none.

4. Want to relock bootloader?
    Sol. No possible way for now. The post will be updated if it ever comes.

5. Safetynet Failed?
    Sol. 1. Have you enabled Magisk Hide in the settings of Magisk Manager? Try toggle to disable, and re-enable again.
    2. If you are using SuperSU, you often need suhide, or maybe other solutions. Developer do not have control of how SuperSU behaves.
    3. It might be due to xposed. Either you remove xposed or wait for future updates.

Download files from here
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=273540 AFH Link
    All Files in folder are not useful for this purpose, but are used for other purpose also. You can download them if you want.
    File credits.
    Giovix92
    topjohnwu

Some tools are not made by me. This guide is genuine based on my experience.

Generous Donor(s):
    1. Peter Fedorow (20 Canadian Dollar):good:
    2. Nicola Roncari (20 Euro):good:
    New Version Of Magisk Has been launched...

Magisk 14..
    Download from below.

Happy Rooting:laugh::fingers-crossed:
    From Now On All the developments, updates and support will be done on other page. link is given in the description.

And I am coperating with Giovix92 for making single tool on single page.
    Magisk 15 is released.
    I have attached magisk modified for zenfone 2.
    Credits: Whole zenfone 2 group members.
    Magisk 15.3
    Changelog
    Magisk
    v15.3
    - [Daemon] Fix the bug that only one script would be executed in post-fs-data.d/service.d
    - [Daemon] Add MS_SILENT flag when mounting, should fix some devices that cannot mount magisk.img
    - [MagiskBoot] Fix potential segmentation fault when patching ramdisk, should fix some installation failures