9 Vote(s)
12.50%

[GUIDE] HOW to FLASH latest WW/CN/TW | ROOT | UNBRICK |

92 posts
Thanks Meter: 111

By vivix, Member on 6th May 2015, 12:47 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I. Before You Begin Doing Anything
**As with all of these types of tutorials, this may void the warranty of your device. Do it at your own risk.
**Download and install the Asus USB Drivers on your PC, if you haven’t done so yet.
**This should only work on a Windows based PC only.
II. Downloading Required Files
** Necessary tools and Drivers - Mediafire Folder
**Latest OTA form ASUS website : WW_2.17.40.12
** Boot.img, Droidboot.img and Recovery.img from this MEGA Drive posted by Chinaphonearena user and belong to Shakalaca.
** System.img - if you want your phone ROOTed on latest ASUS ZF2 Firmware.
III. Yeah! Im ready to do it
**Plug in your device to your PC using a USB cable.
**Boot your device to fastboot mode Power + Vol Up to enter Bootloader Mode
**Hold down Shift and Right-Click anywhere in Fastboot Folder on your PC and select Open command here. It will launch a Command Prompt Window for you to issue commands to your device.
**When it launches, type in the following command and press Enter (.img files has to be in same folder as fastboot tools):
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash fastboot droidboot.img - droidboot.img is fastboot, and if you somehow will flash corrupted image, you won't be able to boot to fastboot anymore. Thanks to sorg
fastboot flash system system.img - Only if you use Pre-ROOTed system image from MEGA Drive.
IV. Ready to go with OTA!
** Upload WW_2.17.40.12 or latest Firmware OTA ( Full firmware ) file to phone storage (Phone storage/File.zip)
** After uploading .zip OTA file to phone storage, unplug USB cable from phone. You will recieve notification that new OTA UPDATE is avaliable for installation.
When you bought CN version of ZF2 you may have to Rename OTA file from UL-Z00A-WW-2.17.40.12-user.zip to UL-Z00A-CN-2.17.40.12-user.zip to get notification about update avaliable.
** Wait till update will finish (approx 10 - 15 min) . Phone will restart when finished. First boot may take longer.
V. Dam! No Notification!? what now...
** Boot your device to fastboot mode Power + Vol Up to enter Bootloader Mode
** At Bootloader press Vol Up to choose Recovery Mode
** You will see an error message of updating ota. Wait 5 sec and then press Power + Vol Up simultaneously until you see recovery menu.
** Using Vol Down + Vol Up choose ADB mode and connect your phone to PC via USB cable
** You need Fastboot version 1.0.32 and up to make ADB Sideload working properly with Zenfone 2
** Extract Fastboot.zip somewhere at your PC and put OTA update file ( .zip) in same folder as Fastboot.
** Hold down Shift and Right-Click anywhere in Fastboot Folder on your PC and select Open command here. It will launch a Command Prompt Window for you to issue commands to your device.
** Use command : adb sideload filename.zip
** At 100% it will go back to Recovery Mode main menu. Restart your phone.
** Done !

** Hit THANKS button and RATE this thread for 5 STARS !

Credits to : Chinaphonearena for posting a link to latest pre-rooted system images.
Credits to : Shakalaca for making it all possible

Remember ! You should only do this at your own responsibility.
Please note !
If you posting somwhere else my guide. Please give me a Credit or just link to this thread. Thanks

Please read all pages if you have a issue with guide. I believe other people had it as well and its already solved.
The Following 71 Users Say Thank You to vivix For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vivix Ad-Free

6th May 2015, 03:41 PM |#2  
Flag New Delhi
Thanks Meter: 460

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivix

1) Download image files http://www.mediafire.com/folder/sety...#dy87k1a0f8m81
2) Boot to fastboot mode (Power + Vol Up)
3) Using ADB command prompt flash files by using fastboot commands :
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash fastboot droidboot.img
4) reboot phone
5) upload 2.15.40.10 OTA file to phone storage (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Zen...237.1430874705)
6) Update via notification about new update avaliable
7)Wait till update will finish (approx 10 min)
8)Enjoy

Say thanks if i helpedI lost 6 hours to achieve this.

Are you sure this works i mean there are thousands of threads regarding this issue but none of them work..Can someone with CN version confirm the working of this method....
6th May 2015, 04:59 PM |#3  
OP Member
Flag Droitwich Spa

More
I bought phone on Aliexpress website. Phone has WW OTA but update via Wi-Fi was impossible. Firmware was 13.40.13 so i think people with that firmware had CN version at start, then sellers updated it to 13.40.13 WW and sended to buyers. Following my method you can update to the latest WW.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vivix For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vivix Ad-Free
6th May 2015, 07:57 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 252

More
Works fine. We've published a similar method. I recommend using the latest rooted ROM. Note, your LTE 4G bands won't be changed with this method.

Have written out the steps in detail for novice users. Includes setting up adb etc: http://www.chinaphonearena.com/forum....php?tid=10253
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chinaphonearena For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Chinaphonearena Ad-Free
6th May 2015, 11:29 PM |#5  
OP Member
Flag Droitwich Spa

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinaphonearena

Works fine. We've published a similar method. I recommend using the latest rooted ROM. Note, your LTE 4G bands won't be changed with this method.

Have written out the steps in detail for novice users. Includes setting up adb etc: http://www.chinaphonearena.com/forum....php?tid=10253

I agree.
But your method is only for pre-rooted system.img with 2.13.40.13 firmware.
I posted method for full OTA firmware upgrade.

Yes, it is similar )
The Following User Says Thank You to vivix For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vivix Ad-Free
7th May 2015, 05:07 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 252

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivix

I agree.
But your method is only for pre-rooted system.img with 2.13.40.13 firmware.
I posted method for full OTA firmware upgrade.

Yes, it is similar )

The method posted can be done with any system.img (don't have to use rooted ROM), there's no need to do the OTA update as its already the latest ROM (though it will be compatible with future OTA updates, thanks to the ROM creator), and you end up rooted.

They are essentially the same, except for flashing system.img at fastboot instead of doing OTA update. Take your pick. If not caring about root, your method is certainly quicker, as there's no need to DL the huge system.img file.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chinaphonearena For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Chinaphonearena Ad-Free
7th May 2015, 07:07 AM |#7  
OP Member
Flag Droitwich Spa

More
Thanks. Much appreciated
7th May 2015, 08:51 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
confirmed works fine on a rooted CN version
Hi,

I followed all the steps and apart from thinking I'd bricked it (the system update screen was sat with the blue bar unmoved for 15 minutes) . It's just completed perfectly.

Really great advice - thanks - I got 2 of these handsets yesterday via ebay both came rooted and it turns out they are CN models but had WW software on them - as per your model - prior to reading your post I was probably going to try and send them back.

I hope and presume for future updates I can continue to use this method?

will do 2nd one now.

Cheers

Ian
7th May 2015, 09:34 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thumbs up Thanksssssssssssssssssssss
Honestly, last time that I tried to have a custom ROM or in any other words, last time I installed and used ( I'm still using it) it was on my samsung galaxy tab(the first galaxy tab of all time) two years ago!

At first I was puzzled in all of these forum pages. I started to change my CN rom to WW Rom yesterday at 2 o'clock. Since I started this process, I just ate dinner and slept for 5 hours. The rest of the time I was trying to install 7 different roms which are available in this forum or asus zenfone forum by 3 different methods of loading a ROM! NONE OF THEM WORKED CORRECT AND COMPLETELY. so I had to start again and read. I can easily say that I've read more than a fat ass book for this process (most of them were duplicates, but I was looking for s.th new among them...)

Your method worked just nolw (@ 1 pm) and I'm really thankful. Honestly I was so bumped and I was thinking to send this device back, just an hour ago I saw your way for the second time and I just decided to try this time as the last way, before returning it!! thank u again for giving me a zenfone

keep up the good work
7th May 2015, 10:24 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Confirmed ok on 2nd handset - red CN model 32gb 4gb ram.

It has removed the root access though... Supersu app has gone. and Root checker confirms not rooted.

Which is ok because I can now use Skygo app on the phone - really wasn't expecting that to work!
The Following User Says Thank You to iancjc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift iancjc Ad-Free
7th May 2015, 11:47 AM |#11  
OP Member
Flag Droitwich Spa

More
Thanks guys for good news that it work for you too. I hope that TUT will help others to get rid of 13.40.13 which drain battery as $%^&. Without root it's hard for efficient battery save but atm i use battery doctor from G market and I need to say after 4h it drained 3% battery with turned WiFi. I just wait for proper root tutorial.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)