[Guide][Bricked][Unbrick][ZE551ML][ZE550ML] Black screen,No fastboot,Rec. vib only

Search This thread

TechnoRush

Jun 11, 2021
Alright so I followed the guide but I'm stuck at getting fastboot or ASUS Flash Tool to recognise the device.

The phone is currently displaying Fastboot mode and "FASTBOOT CMD WAITING"

maheshred

Jul 18, 2021
Hello Sir,

This is Moto X Xt1058 ( 2013 ) At&t .. I tried to Root. But its Failed. Showing This Error , Anybudy Please Tell me can we Resolve this Error !

I Tried to Flash Rom with Rsd Lite . But its failing Gpt.bin....Please tell me

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-07-18 at 7.45.16 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-07-18 at 7.45.16 AM.jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 96
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-07-18 at 7.45.17 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-07-18 at 7.45.17 AM.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 93

StrikerFX

Jan 20, 2017
I would like to thank the author of the topic, because his tutorial saved my zenfone 2 ze551ml, I managed to reinstall the stock firmware, thanks. I would like to ask you or any user here who knows how to proceed. My ze551ml is unlocked, I would like to install android version 6 made available by asus for my model, how is the procedure? I just need to download the latest version available on the asus website in the device's internal memory and manually update it? Or is it better to do by adb? And about the unlocked bootloader, I read somewhere that version 6.0 again locks the device's bootloader, is this true?

gab_ITA

May 15, 2012
Hello!
I think I bricked my ze551ml. I can't download the files at the step "Unbrick Process". Does anyone have them, or a working link? PM too is fine. Thanks!!!

dns24

Jun 29, 2017
Pituruh
can someone help me?
recently I flashed stock rom through twrp, but then failed
now my splashscreen gone, also I can't get into any recovery (custom/stock)
whenever I tried to boot into it, it'll directly go on homescreen
though I able flash preroot system, but I still can't managed to flash it purely stock aka back to normal

LosSerpent

Jun 13, 2018
can someone help me?
recently I flashed stock rom through twrp, but then failed
now my splashscreen gone, also I can't get into any recovery (custom/stock)
whenever I tried to boot into it, it'll directly go on homescreen
though I able flash preroot system, but I still can't managed to flash it purely stock aka back to normal
Yeah i can, get a new phone and stop trying to fix 20 year old phones

SomeOne181

Feb 13, 2022
Yeah i can, get a new phone and stop trying to fix 20 year old phones
You mean all people are rich and doesn't have anything better to do these days with 500-1000 euros for a new one ?!. If so, interesting. I was not aware of that.
There are reasons why people are using old and back then expensive phones like how use old cars too. For example if you want to use a server for an old application/game, why to use 100W up power and higher volume while you can use 1W old phone and slim fit volume. Nevertheless, if you have something, is good to use it if not ready to throw it.
BTW. Talking about new phones, I got last year 500 euro+ Motorola Vision phone. It was used as default and necessary applications installed on it. It bricked after a call and restarted remaining in a logo phase. Had to hard factory reset it and lost all data. Old or new, looks it show multiple brands same problem. Yet even if most of us know that we used to alter default bootloader on Zenfones, it is still producer engineering fault that they mixed ROM( operating system) with bootloader(BIOS), and hence they learn noting for PC ages. People do not want to mess with bootloaders and to brick the phones. People want to play with new operating systems and applications, which is just natural how is/was on PC's. Then there were people reporting here Asus Zenfones bricked instantly without customization. So it may still be a common issue.

Last edited:

SomeOne181

Feb 13, 2022
Hi,
can anyone help me sending me xFSTK and the unbrick files for ZE551ML?
Thank you very much.
Hi,
There were 3 files mentioned for xFSTK. Two for firmware and one for OS. I am still trying to understand from my side too where initial person who refer to, took it from, but it looks at least two were from default Asus ROM, and these are the ones for firmware( ifiwi.zip in parent directory for the archive, and then for desired model). The OS Image (droidboot) one, is a bin file type while original one in ROM is img type. Under my review these are not the same, and it may be that a conversion took place or it is a newer or older version from what we could find on Asus website as last ROM version. From all I have read, it was no description how firmware and OS binary files were extracted, and it looks everyone took it as it is.
Version WW-2.20.40.206
2017/07/17 1.16 GBytes
ASUS ZenFone 2=ZE551ML(Z00AD/Z00ADA/Z00ADB/Z00ADC) software Image: V2.20.40.206 for WW SKU

In my case I have concerns that files are compatible with my device. I had it bought almost of the end of Zenfone 2 commercial age.
My current situation is that I am stuck at 4 colored lines and it never go in fastboot with loop restarts at every 2-3 minutes.

Good luck.

mrfaggio

Sep 13, 2015
Hi,
There were 3 files mentioned for xFSTK. Two for firmware and one for OS. I am still trying to understand from my side too where initial person who refer to, took it from, but it looks at least two were from default Asus ROM, and these are the ones for firmware( ifiwi.zip in parent directory for the archive, and then for desired model). The OS Image (droidboot) one, is a bin file type while original one in ROM is img type. Under my review these are not the same, and it may be that a conversion took place or it is a newer or older version from what we could find on Asus website as last ROM version. From all I have read, it was no description how firmware and OS binary files were extracted, and it looks everyone took it as it is.
Version WW-2.20.40.206
2017/07/17 1.16 GBytes
ASUS ZenFone 2=ZE551ML(Z00AD/Z00ADA/Z00ADB/Z00ADC) software Image: V2.20.40.206 for WW SKU

In my case I have concerns that files are compatible with my device. I had it bought almost of the end of Zenfone 2 commercial age.
My current situation is that I am stuck at 4 colored lines and it never go in fastboot with loop restarts at every 2-3 minutes.

Good luck.
Hi SomeOne181, you are right!
Thank you very much.
I found the file now i have to found an xfstk compatible with my zenfone 2. :)
I wanted to try loading the ifiwi.zipper file via adb (because my problem is that I cannot load a raw firmware because the program found an abnormal IMEI) and then retry to load the raw frmware.
For your problem did you try to always load via adb the boot and recovery files? Your zenfone's is a very strange problem maybe by loading the files that allow you to at least get it to boot and go to recovery maybe you can load a raw type firmware for it.
Bye.

SomeOne181

Feb 13, 2022
Hi SomeOne181, you are right!
Thank you very much.
I found the file now i have to found an xfstk compatible with my zenfone 2. :)
I wanted to try loading the ifiwi.zipper file via adb (because my problem is that I cannot load a raw firmware because the program found an abnormal IMEI) and then retry to load the raw frmware.
For your problem did you try to always load via adb the boot and recovery files? Your zenfone's is a very strange problem maybe by loading the files that allow you to at least get it to boot and go to recovery maybe you can load a raw type firmware for it.
Bye.
Hi,
Xfstk looks generic compatible with Asus Zenfone 2 as it is Intel Moorefield device type design. If it do not start, check out other posts related to Windows signed driver checks and its prevention to start, as that will be more OS related than Xfstk.
If you get GUID errors while using Asus ZF raw restore, also check out some other posts. Some users found useful to partial restore the raw firmware with Asus ZF and then got correct guid at regular restore with adb/fastboot.
Thanks for advice, but my problem is that I do not reach a fastboot stage, and hence adb will not be available. It looks the bootloader is just not loading/available in my case. Mostly I will use, and what I should have used long time ago, 10 euro motherboard replacement, but performing software restore was actually a challenge for me too.
Good luck.

mrfaggio

Sep 13, 2015
Hi,
Xfstk looks generic compatible with Asus Zenfone 2 as it is Intel Moorefield device type design. If it do not start, check out other posts related to Windows signed driver checks and its prevention to start, as that will be more OS related than Xfstk.
If you get GUID errors while using Asus ZF raw restore, also check out some other posts. Some users found useful to partial restore the raw firmware with Asus ZF and then got correct guid at regular restore with adb/fastboot.
Thanks for advice, but my problem is that I do not reach a fastboot stage, and hence adb will not be available. It looks the bootloader is just not loading/available in my case. Mostly I will use, and what I should have used long time ago, 10 euro motherboard replacement, but performing software restore was actually a challenge for me too.
Good luck.
Hi SomeOne181,
after several attempts I managed to restore the z00a-2.20.40.196 version, but the recovery goes into error and if I try to restore the same raw version with ASus Flash tool I received an "Check the detected serial number failure(not found the device of "BLABLABLA")" error, but the serial number indicated is right, at the last the phone software update does not find any update (I suppose for the recovery broken).
What do you think If I try to restore the recovery of z00a-2.20.40.196 and then I try to install the M android firmware via adb or coping the firmware on the root phone?
Excuse me for continuing to ask questions but I don't want to risk bricking my phone again.
I hope these are the last actions I have to take to close the matter.
Thanks and best regards

adaa1262

Jul 15, 2016
My Zenfone is bricked I'm trying to unbrick it with xFSTK and latest Moore field drivers on Windows 10 21H2 but it won't be detected it just power cycles in the USB logo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For those who bricked their phone and facing any of the following issue (Black screen, vibrating only, no fastboot, unable to start, unable to install firmware etc.)
    If you got No Fastboot, No recovery, No Display, hard bricked your device.You must perform sequential steps indicated below, process will include many small steps. Plz make sure to perform all steps in same sequence and same manner as prescribed. Remove all drivers related to mobile you have installed earlier.

Step 1: Install the Intel Soc USB driver:

(if you are using windows 8 or 10. it is very important to disable driver signature enforcement. see the sections related to your windows below. (note: if you will reboot pc after disabling it will be enabled again)).

This Is the driver which help a computer connecte to your Zen2 IntelSoc mode. To install these driver you need to perform special steps if you are using windows 8 / 8.1, 10 . you need to disable driver signature enforcement before installing drivers. below i have mentioned steps needed to install driver for various versions of windows. but first download the needed driver from link given below.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwR0JGeFI2U3FUZ2c

Step 1.1 - how to install these drivers:

(Note: if you see the image like below attached thumbnail and you click install software any way 2 times means drivers are installed correctly. if you don't see image below while installation it means you need to disable driver signature enforcement)

If you're using Windows 7:

Right-click the file - iSocUSB-Driver-Setup-1.2.0 choose "Run as Administrator".
    Make The installation steps as usual until you see a small window "Windows Security" requires authentication settings then click on the "install this driver software anyway"

After This step, the driver installation is finished, continue to section 1.2 for connecting IntelSoc.

If you're using Windows 8 / 8.1 :
    On Keyboard press Windows + I to show charm bar in the right corner,
    click on the option setting. Choose "Change PC Settings" to enter the PC Settings.
    Choose the General tab and navigate to Advanced Startup section, continue click Restart now.
    This will reboot windows and allows you access to the advanced mode, now select the following options: Troubleshoot - -Startup Settings Advanced Options and then click the Restart button to restart the computer.

now you will see screen with various options numbered from 1. Find disable driver signature enforcement. And press the appropriate number on keyboard your pc will reboot

Now Right-click the file - iSocUSB-Driver-Setup-1.2.0 choose "Run as Administrator".
    Make The installation steps as usual until you see a small window "Windows Security" requires authentication settings then click on the "install this driver software anyway"

After This step, the driver installation is finished, continue to section 1.2

If you're using Windows 10 :

On Keyboard press Windows + I or click Start, select Settings.
    In The Settings window, select the Update & security.
    Continue Choose recovery and then advanced startup and click "Restart now".
    When The computer has access to the Advanced screen you will see screen with various options numbered from 1. Find disable driver signature enforcement. And press the appropriate number on keyboard your pc will reboot

Now Right-click the file - iSocUSB-Driver-Setup-1.2.0 choose "Run as Administrator".

After This step, the driver installation is finished, continue to section 1.2

1.2 Connect Zenfone with computer IntelSoc Mode:

Now you must complete this step before installing xfstk downloader. it helps to setup device's connection to PC

on your pc open device manager and find Intel Soc.
    Click to expand it. You will see a single option under here.
    Connect your phone to computer via USB cable,

now back to the phone, hold power button for 10 seconds to shutdown completely, then press simultaneously the key "power" + "volume down", until phone vibrates. Or computer makes detection sound, wait a few seconds. it will add an item immediately below intelSoC in device manager ?MOOREFIELD? new devices is connected successful.

Now Download intel android USB Driver and install normally from link below:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwSU5CdDNuUElEcUE

( only after installing the above driver with correct steps and connecting Soc then only install xFSTK).

Step: 2 Installing xfstk-downloader:

installation of xFSTK is very simple. download xFSTK setup from the link below. to install. right click the setup file and run as Administrator. click next next simply until you finish the installation process
    Here is the download link:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRweDdfMjlPOGEyTW8
    Now to Unbrick Process.

( only after installing the above driver with correct steps) go ahead to unbrick process.

Unbrick Process:

-The Necessary files:
    ZE551ML: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwV0QyWFRXbjMxaFk

ZE550ML: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwY1AyLUdKdkI3OWM

After downloading the necessary files extract it. it will contain 3 files:- dnx_fwr.bin, ifwi.bin, droidboot_dnx.img.POS_sign.bin.

-Run XFSTK Downloader as Administrator, click the second tab at bottom MRD A0 / B0 + MOOR A0 + CRC .

-Then Go to Options to change the value in the Value Section Override Flag GP 0x80000807. Tick GP value over ride, change device detection time out value to 220 and Click OK is complete initial preparation. (important note: never use wrong gp flag value it may complicate things)

+ First select Firmware files FW DnX: and IFWI: by clicking small three dots:- IFWI DNX 2 dnx_fwr.bin and ifwi.bin file.
    + Now select operating system : skip the first box, in second box select file droidboot_dnx.img.POS_sign.bin

now switch off your mobile by holding power button for long and connect to pc.

now click begin download on xFSTK. after that simply power on mobile.

-Here You may see error multiple times just try to power off device completely and turn on again. flash again and again Until you see success: FW+OS Download complete!

After that you may see a 4 color screen, just like some TV stations stop broadcasting on TV. You have to wait a little. after few seconds or minutes device will boot into bootloader. wait 10 to 15 min if no success, If not repeat the xFSTK process again. once you get fastboot screen on device go ahead to flash RAW firmware

Now there are two ways to flash RAW firmware one is Asus Flash Tool (AFT) other is without AFT with help of commands. Personally, i like command method as it is much more reliable than Asus Flash Tool. both methods are provided here under.

Flash Raw Firmware Using Asus Flash Tool:

Required Files:
    Asus Flash Tool: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwUDZqa0M4SWRObVE
    Raw Firmware File:
    ZE551ML: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwb2x1SHg2UUlsT0U ( Link updated to google drive and latest raw firmware 2.20.40.194)

ZE550ML:https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwcTBDaXZOYUNBdHM

Download Asus Flash Tool and install. Run asus flash tool as administrator. And select the phone model. Then select the downloaded raw file and click start button to flash.
    Note: sometimes flash process may go endless. If this happens remove the usb from computer. Kill asus flashtool process from task manager. Now run tool again and flash.

Flashing Firmware Without AFT:

For this you need two things first is adb tool and second is raw firmware file both links are provided here under:

Fastboot and adb tool: ( includes setup as well as independent files ) latest version updated

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwMGVuT0cwRlp2UG8

Adb fastboot tool for 64 bit windows and for those who are facing issue to load zip files while adb sideload. or unable to load system.img

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwUkFRMl81b1pWa0k

Raw firmware ( you can use any earlier downloaded RAW firmware file)
    ZE551ML: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwb2x1SHg2UUlsT0U ( Link updated to google drive and latest raw firmware 2.20.40.194)

ZE550ML: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72QQTXqZSRwcTBDaXZOYUNBdHM

Now very first of all, rename .raw firmware file to .zip file and extract all files from it.. now place all files in adb and fastboot folder. ( Note: to extract raw file to avoid extension issue please give firmware file a complete new name ie: "user.zip" or anything you like

now in folder ( where you placed files from raw firmware and adb and fastboot tool folder) at empty place anywhere in folder hold Shift on computer keyboard and right click with mouse. Now click open command window here.

perform the following commands

1. fastboot devices ( see if it is recognized: else plug out usb and plugin again)
    2. fastboot oem erase_osip_header
    3. fastboot oem start_partitioning
    4. fastboot flash /tmp/partition.tbl partition.tbl
    5. fastboot oem partition /tmp/partition.tbl
    6. fastboot erase system
    7. fastboot erase cache
    8. fastboot erase data
    9. fastboot erase APD
    10. fastboot erase ADF
    11. fastboot oem wipe splashscreen
    12. fastboot oem stop_partitioning
    13. fastboot flash splashscreen splash_sign.bin
    14. fastboot flash token MFG_BOM_Full.bin
    15. fastboot flash ifwi ifwi-prod.bin
    16. fastboot flash boot boot_sign.bin
    17. fastboot flash recovery recovery_sign.bin
    18. fastboot flash fastboot droidboot_sign.bin
    19. fastboot flash APD APD.img
    20. fastboot flash system system.img
    21. fastboot reboot

Phone will successfully reboot into system. don't worry, first boot gonna take a little longer time. so have patience and watch some funny video till phone boots up.

Now you can install any firmware version via adb sideload. make sure to install latest lollipop firmware before flashing Marshmallow. follow the guide to sideload.

How to Install firmware using adb sideload:

First of all go to setting > About >Software information > tap build number 7 times to enable developer options. now under setting go to developer options and find USB debugging here. tick to enable USB debugging

Now go to Asus website and download the desired firmware and place that file in adb fastboot tool folder. rename the files to your desirable short name ( lets take an example rename it to User.zip). now move your mouse cursor in folder anywhere at some empty place, press and hold the keyboard shift Button now right click your mouse button and open command window here. in cmd type adb devices and press enter ( note it will prompt an option on mobile to authorize the computer for adb. Please authorize this computer. ) after this your device will be listed under adb devices with some number. if not type command once again, if no success this time please ensure you have installed usb driver and authorized computer.
    after adb recognize the device. run the following command

"adb reboot recovery"
    phone will reboot into recovery ( Note you can go to recovery manually as well. for doing so power down your device. after that press and hold volume + button and press power button as mobile shows asus logo leave power button but keep holding volume button. you will boot into fastboot mode use your volume up and down key to go to option recovery mode. now click power button. phone will reboot into recovery mode.

once phone reboot into recovery mode find option apply update from adb and press that option with the help of power button

now go to cmd and run the following command

" adb sideload user.zip " ( Note: User.zip is the firmware file you download from asus and placed in adb tool folder and renamed so can be replaced with the name you renamed your file)

now let the computer do its work sit back and relax. once file loaded successfully reboot device.
    ( note first boot always takes little longer time so don't panic have patience and wait till phone boots completely

if you have any question please post here. use hide button while replying to avoid unnecessary length of post..

If the guide was helpful to you and your device is alive again. Hope you can hit the Thanks button. it will not take much effort or long time. Thank you.
    Well hello sorry for the silly or stupid question but since I'm new to asus, And I see a lot of peoples bricking your devices I wanted to ask, There are some risk in update it if my bootloader locked and my phone fully stock? I received it some weeks ago and I not rooted or unlocked bootloader yet, so there are some chance to I get in a brick? Like some peoples did? :eek: I going to update next week, but just on case I wanted ask.

I gonna be very thankful if someone answer me :D
    if you are stock. you can update without any issue. just keep in mind update to latest lolipop first.. ( Z00A-WW-2.20.40.194 ) then to MM
    those who are not able to keep device connected. take care of few steps

1. in xFSTK option menu change the flag override value to 0x80000807 not 0x800000807 ( don't forget to click gp value over ride)

2. while connecting to xFSTK attach usb to computer. hold power button for 20 seconds to make sure it power downs completely. then hold the power button down and click power button. wait till device vibrate or computer makes detection sound. leave power button but keep holding the volume button for few seconds
    Ahm question again bro..you mention in op install first to latest lollipop right,, how did you install it,, i mean via twrp or what?

---------- Post added at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

Sorry for bunch of questions,, I'm just making sure bro..
    if yoy want to install latest MM. for that purpose you must install official asus recovery.. or if you want lolipop only then you can install it from twrp
    Question is,, if I'm already in android mm,,will my custom recovery still be there? Or do i need to flash it again via adb? Thnks..
    yes you need to flash if you want to install custom recovery . but flash it after updating to latest MM

if you are on unofficial MM. and you have custom recovery installed. don't try to install official MM. you will brick your device