Custom Lolipop Kernel for Asus Zenfone 2 ZE551ML/ZE550ML

Search This thread

thadoukuki

Aug 17, 2012
Has been trying to install this kernel via the adb and terminal emulator methods but I am still not successful. The kernel flash was successful but my phone never booted up. It's always stuck at the dead droid logo with a red triangle saying error. What did I missed? I am on latest firmware .184 with root and lock bootloader android 5.0. Please help me out guys.

vkez

Oct 5, 2014
Pinang
Samsung Galaxy S21
Has been trying to install this kernel via the adb and terminal emulator methods but I am still not successful. The kernel flash was successful but my phone never booted up. It's always stuck at the dead droid logo with a red triangle saying error. What did I missed? I am on latest firmware .184 with root and lock bootloader android 5.0. Please help me out guys.

Lock bootloader?
It wil not work.. readthe op again

Nadzmiey

Apr 25, 2017
do you have stock kernel for lollipop .198
i succes flash the custom kernel but my statusbar become small everything because small except the icon and font. Please help me.

anddra23

May 20, 2012
#ask #late

Note: This kernel will work on stock firmware2.20.40.184, 2.20.40.183, 2.20.40.178, 2.20.174, 2.20.40.168, 2.20.40.165, 2.20.40.164 and may be lower, also working on some stock-based ROMs(EchoeROM V3,for example).

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for your broken phone , broken memory card, etc. All my kernels I test first on my own phones , and then upload here

If you like my works please do not forget donate to me(PayPal account you may find in my profile)

Bootloader unlock is required for every custom rom, custom kernel, custom recovery. Unlock Tool here:http://xdaforums.com/zenfone2/general/tool-one-click-bootloader-unlock-root-t3155884

Changelog:
Full NTFS support for SD card
NTFS OTG full support by sibling Asus File Manager(read/write), from others file managers you can to see OTG NTFS devices, may see OTG NTFS devices from file chooser but you can't edit data. But you can edit platform.xml via NextAPP SDfix and can write on NTFS OTG devices
Migration to newest source code from Zenfone Zoom ZX551ML from 20 april 2016
Ramdisk from 183 firmware
Some optimization in code
Full support exFAT SDcard format, now you may write/delete/rename by standart method of Android 5
Great game performance
Remove Hotplug driver
Remove -Ofast optimization(loud words-not take effects, placebo)
Remove optimization flag -march=silvermont(loud words, did not work on 3.10 kernels)
Remove touchboost from Interactive governor
Modified Interactive, Interactive Pro, Intel, Cyan governors: CPU2 and CPU3 turn off when screen off
Idle from Linux kernel 4.6
Gpu governor simple_ondemand from Linux kernel 4.6
Based on source code from Zenfone Zoom ZX551 from march 17
zram and kernel compression is LZ4
Rework MSM Hotplug, now only CPU0+CPU1 online, no dancing CPUs.

For humor and proof that overclock in others kernels is fake added "overclock" to 5GHz
Re-work MSM Hotplug. Now if load more than 79 but lower than 99- only another 1 core go to online(CPU2 or CPU3)) and processor working on 3 cores online, if load more than 99- CPU3 and CPU2 go to online together and processor working on all 4 cores online DO NOT set fast lane 99 and higher!!!

Made 12 thermal states for video adapter a place of 3. If on 457 MHz have overheating- freq go to 400 MHz, if overheating on 400- go to 355, if hot on 355-go to 320 MHz and so on. In stock kernel if overheating on 457 MHz- processor goes in 200 MHz and was lags in games
Compile with new march=silvermont optimizationmarch=silvermont(thanks to @Dan_Jacques )
Tuning MSM hotplug for Zenfone 2: now interface faster, smoother even when min cpus online = 2. And maybe drain battery less.

Unlocked almost all hidden GPU frequencies. Now available gpu frequencies 106, 133,160,177 MHz(I think this NOT fake underclock). I made Kernel Auditor version for our GPU PowerVR 6430 (see screnshots here http://i10.pixs.ru/storage/5/8/1/Bezimyanni_7545670_20843581.png ) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxVRXQGBg4DTaThjQUtoRFBrdms/view?usp=sharing
Based on Asus Zenfone Zoom source code

Fixed hotplug driver and tuning(Now drain battery much less and fixed charging: now no overheating)

Added Cyan governor

Changed Interactive governor to Interactive from Asus Zenfone Zoom
Now 2 different versions: for ZE551ML and for ZE550ML, Tuning MSM Hotplug(2 cores always online, Fast Lane up to 150), added Interactive Pro governor and set by default
Interactive governor by default, realtime Hotplugging now on any governors, on Interactive too(Extra CPU cores disabled without load) Idea and work @mrg666 . You may to set parameters of hotplug driver via Kernel Auditor, point "CPU Hotplug"
Remove Hotplug governor(no longer needed)

Kernel Features:
1.Based on Zenfone Zoom ZX551ML source
2. Add zram support in LZ4 format(no need to turn on it, if no problem with multitasking and never no need to turn on for devices with 4GB RAM), kernel compression LZ4 too
3. Adaptation InteractiveX V2 governor for quad core devices, I make that 2 cores go to offline, when screen off
4. Processor work in "1 cpu per module" mode a place of "2 cores per module"(4 independent cpus, not pair)
5. Ofast and march=silvermont(thanks @Dan_Jacques optimization with GCC 4.9
6. Init.d support. You should install BusyBox in /xbin folder/
7. SELinux Permissive
8. KVM support (Kernel Virtual machine for Intel)
9. Added SWAP support
10. USB-HID mouse & keyboard functions(required USB Keyboard app from GPhttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=remote.hid.keyboard.client&hl=en)
11. Ultra kernel samepage merging(UKSM) a place of KSM. Disabled by default, if you want you may turn on it via Kernel auditor
12. Full auto brightness. I removed minimal level 15, now level 5
13. More governovs and I/O schedulers
14.Zram disabled
15. More TCP algorithms, Westwood by default
16. Unlocked GPU frequencies 106, 133, 160, 177 MHz
17. NTFS support for SD card and OTG

Deprecated features:
1.Hotplug governor by default. Extra CPU cores disabled without load(it have been removed sinse 04/02/2016)
2. For correct work on ZE550ML you should change DPI to 320, for example via init.d script(root required).
1). Before flash kernel, you should install BusyBox in xbin folder, then create init.d folder in system/etc and set 755 permissions on it.
2) Download dpi320.zip, then extract dpi320 file and put it in system/etc/init.d folder, check that on it set 755 permissions
https://yadi.sk/d/6hg6bDDioCNbT
3). You may flash kernel.
3. Interactive governor from Asus ZenPad S 8.0 by default with some tuning(for example, hi_speed freq = 1583 MHz) and hotplugging additions( 2 cores go to offline, when screen off) Idea and work by @TheSSJ
4. Realtime hotplugging for all governors. You may to set parameters of hotplug driver via Kernel Auditor, point "CPU Hotplug"
5. Interactive governor from Asus Zenfone Zoom by default with some tuning(for example, hi_speed freq = 1750 MHz), InteractiveX and Interactive Pro have hispeed_freq 1750 MHz too.

Step 1:
You should download files for flashing:
ADB v1.0.32: Download from Google Drive

IMG file with kernel:
03.02.2016 https://yadi.sk/d/FuJhWqc9oCLZy
04.02.2016 https://yadi.sk/d/PcDiDaumoJMb7
All versions from 18.02.2016 and higher will be here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxVRXQGBg4DTSVV5Q19mSVUxQk0&usp=sharing
Step2:
You should reboot your phone in the droidboot mode. (turn off you gadget then press Turn off button and volume + button)
Then go to the ADB folder and hold Shift + Right Mouse button and write this command:
Code:
fastboot flash boot bootXX.XX.img
,where XX.XX- numbers after word "boot"
Step3:
Reboot to Android.
Method 2( via TWRP, without PC)​
1. Download bootXX.XX.img
2. Go to recovery mode
3. Click Install, choose this bootXX.XX.img, choose boot partition and flash
4. Then reboot

Method 3(via Terminal Emulator, without PC)(root required)​
1. Download bootXX.XX.img and put it in root of internal memory
2. in command prompt write
Code:
su
dd if=/sdcard/bootXX.XX.img of=/dev/block/by-name/boot
reboot
And device started with custom boot.img

XDA:DevDB Information
Custom Lolipop Kernel for Asus Zenfone 2 ZE551ML/ZE550ML, Kernel for the Asus ZenFone 2

Contributors
BORETS24
Source Code: https://github.com/BORETS24/Kernel-for-Asus-Zenfone-2.git

Kernel Special Features:

Version Information

Created 2016-02-02
Last Updated 2016-09-03

#ZE551ML Can I use this latest kernel for fw 2.20.40.198? Already root and Ubl. Ty

BORETS24

Jul 7, 2015
Moscow
hey Boretz! nice kernel! but after flashing this my resolution changed , all items become very small? how do i reset this resolution ?
Thanks!

Kernel developing on Lollipop stops very a long time ago. I recommend make sure that you flash kernel exactly for 551ML. If you flash 550ML kernel you get low density 320 a place of 480 stock and all elements will be small

BryanRansulangi

Oct 6, 2013
Bekasi
Kernel developing on Lollipop stops very a long time ago. I recommend make sure that you flash kernel exactly for 551ML. If you flash 550ML kernel you get low density 320 a place of 480 stock and all elements will be small

i did, im using ze551ml fw ver: 2.20.40.184, and i think my resolution is the same as samsung galaxy tab i guess all. things became very small even the keyboard

BORETS24

Jul 7, 2015
Moscow
i did, im using ze551ml fw ver: 2.20.40.184, and i think my resolution is the same as samsung galaxy tab i guess all. things became very small even the keyboard
Resolution and DPI is different things. DPI value is in inside boot.img this is reason that boot.img for 550ML and 551ML is different.For 551ML DPI is 480 and if you install from 550ML you get DPI 320 and all elements is very smart. Install right kernel and all be fine

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note: This kernel will work on stock firmware2.20.40.184, 2.20.40.183, 2.20.40.178, 2.20.174, 2.20.40.168, 2.20.40.165, 2.20.40.164 and may be lower, also working on some stock-based ROMs(EchoeROM V3,for example).

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for your broken phone , broken memory card, etc. All my kernels I test first on my own phones , and then upload here

If you like my works please do not forget donate to me(PayPal account you may find in my profile)

Bootloader unlock is required for every custom rom, custom kernel, custom recovery. Unlock Tool here:http://xdaforums.com/zenfone2/general/tool-one-click-bootloader-unlock-root-t3155884

Changelog:
    Full NTFS support for SD card
    NTFS OTG full support by sibling Asus File Manager(read/write), from others file managers you can to see OTG NTFS devices, may see OTG NTFS devices from file chooser but you can't edit data. But you can edit platform.xml via NextAPP SDfix and can write on NTFS OTG devices
    Migration to newest source code from Zenfone Zoom ZX551ML from 20 april 2016
    Ramdisk from 183 firmware
    Some optimization in code
    Full support exFAT SDcard format, now you may write/delete/rename by standart method of Android 5
    Great game performance
    Remove Hotplug driver
    Remove optimization flag -march=silvermont(loud words, did not work on 3.10 kernels)
    Modified Interactive, Interactive Pro, Intel, Cyan governors: CPU2 and CPU3 turn off when screen off
    zram and kernel compression is LZ4
    Rework MSM Hotplug, now only CPU0+CPU1 online, no dancing CPUs.

For humor and proof that overclock in others kernels is fake added "overclock" to 5GHz
    Re-work MSM Hotplug. Now if load more than 79 but lower than 99- only another 1 core go to online(CPU2 or CPU3)) and processor working on 3 cores online, if load more than 99- CPU3 and CPU2 go to online together and processor working on all 4 cores online DO NOT set fast lane 99 and higher!!!

Made 12 thermal states for video adapter a place of 3. If on 457 MHz have overheating- freq go to 400 MHz, if overheating on 400- go to 355, if hot on 355-go to 320 MHz and so on. In stock kernel if overheating on 457 MHz- processor goes in 200 MHz and was lags in games
    Compile with new march=silvermont optimizationmarch=silvermont(thanks to @Dan_Jacques )
    Tuning MSM hotplug for Zenfone 2: now interface faster, smoother even when min cpus online = 2. And maybe drain battery less.

Unlocked almost all hidden GPU frequencies. Now available gpu frequencies 106, 133,160,177 MHz(I think this NOT fake underclock). I made Kernel Auditor version for our GPU PowerVR 6430 (see screnshots here http://i10.pixs.ru/storage/5/8/1/Bezimyanni_7545670_20843581.png ) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxVRXQGBg4DTaThjQUtoRFBrdms/view?usp=sharing
    Based on Asus Zenfone Zoom source code

Fixed hotplug driver and tuning(Now drain battery much less and fixed charging: now no overheating)

Added Cyan governor

Changed Interactive governor to Interactive from Asus Zenfone Zoom
    Now 2 different versions: for ZE551ML and for ZE550ML, Tuning MSM Hotplug(2 cores always online, Fast Lane up to 150), added Interactive Pro governor and set by default
    Interactive governor by default, realtime Hotplugging now on any governors, on Interactive too(Extra CPU cores disabled without load) Idea and work @mrg666 . You may to set parameters of hotplug driver via Kernel Auditor, point "CPU Hotplug"
    Remove Hotplug governor(no longer needed)

Kernel Features:
    1.Based on Zenfone Zoom ZX551ML source
    2. Add zram support in LZ4 format(no need to turn on it, if no problem with multitasking and never no need to turn on for devices with 4GB RAM), kernel compression LZ4 too
    3. Adaptation InteractiveX V2 governor for quad core devices, I make that 2 cores go to offline, when screen off
    4. Processor work in "1 cpu per module" mode a place of "2 cores per module"(4 independent cpus, not pair)
    5. Ofast and march=silvermont(thanks @Dan_Jacques optimization with GCC 4.9
    6. Init.d support. You should install BusyBox in /xbin folder/
    7. SELinux Permissive
    8. KVM support (Kernel Virtual machine for Intel)
    9. Added SWAP support
    10. USB-HID mouse & keyboard functions(required USB Keyboard app from GPhttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=remote.hid.keyboard.client&hl=en)
    11. Ultra kernel samepage merging(UKSM) a place of KSM. Disabled by default, if you want you may turn on it via Kernel auditor
    12. Full auto brightness. I removed minimal level 15, now level 5
    13. More governovs and I/O schedulers
    14.Zram disabled
    15. More TCP algorithms, Westwood by default
    16. Unlocked GPU frequencies 106, 133, 160, 177 MHz
    17. NTFS support for SD card and OTG

Deprecated features:
    1.Hotplug governor by default. Extra CPU cores disabled without load(it have been removed sinse 04/02/2016)
    2. For correct work on ZE550ML you should change DPI to 320, for example via init.d script(root required).
    1). Before flash kernel, you should install BusyBox in xbin folder, then create init.d folder in system/etc and set 755 permissions on it.
    2) Download dpi320.zip, then extract dpi320 file and put it in system/etc/init.d folder, check that on it set 755 permissions
    https://yadi.sk/d/6hg6bDDioCNbT
    3). You may flash kernel.
    3. Interactive governor from Asus ZenPad S 8.0 by default with some tuning(for example, hi_speed freq = 1583 MHz) and hotplugging additions( 2 cores go to offline, when screen off) Idea and work by @TheSSJ
    4. Realtime hotplugging for all governors. You may to set parameters of hotplug driver via Kernel Auditor, point "CPU Hotplug"
    5. Interactive governor from Asus Zenfone Zoom by default with some tuning(for example, hi_speed freq = 1750 MHz), InteractiveX and Interactive Pro have hispeed_freq 1750 MHz too.

Step 1:
    You should download files for flashing:
    ADB v1.0.32: Download from Google Drive

IMG file with kernel:
    03.02.2016 https://yadi.sk/d/FuJhWqc9oCLZy
    04.02.2016 https://yadi.sk/d/PcDiDaumoJMb7
    All versions from 18.02.2016 and higher will be here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxVRXQGBg4DTSVV5Q19mSVUxQk0&usp=sharing
    Step2:
    You should reboot your phone in the droidboot mode. (turn off you gadget then press Turn off button and volume + button)
    Then go to the ADB folder and hold Shift + Right Mouse button and write this command:
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot bootXX.XX.img
    ,where XX.XX- numbers after word "boot"
    Step3:
    Reboot to Android.
    Method 2( via TWRP, without PC)​
    1. Download bootXX.XX.img
    2. Go to recovery mode
    3. Click Install, choose this bootXX.XX.img, choose boot partition and flash
    4. Then reboot

Method 3(via Terminal Emulator, without PC)(root required)​
    1. Download bootXX.XX.img and put it in root of internal memory
    2. in command prompt write
    Code:
    su
    dd if=/sdcard/bootXX.XX.img of=/dev/block/by-name/boot
    reboot
    And device started with custom boot.img

XDA:DevDB Information
    Custom Lolipop Kernel for Asus Zenfone 2 ZE551ML/ZE550ML, Kernel for the Asus ZenFone 2

Contributors
    BORETS24
    Source Code: https://github.com/BORETS24/Kernel-for-Asus-Zenfone-2.git

Kernel Special Features:

Version Information

Created 2016-02-02
    Last Updated 2016-09-03
    Attention! Radio module in firmware 178 may drain battery higher than on previous firmwares, it is not fault of my kernel

Changelog:
    Great game performance
    Remove Hotplug driver
    Add zram support in LZ4 format(no need to turn on it, if no problem with multitasking and never no need to turn on for devices with 4GB RAM), kernel compression LZ4 too
    Changelog
    Full support exFAT SD card format, now you may write/delete/rename by standart method of Android 5

P.S. I downgraded from 178 to 174 firmware- battery drain became very low, now really see all benefits of my kernel,bravo to Asus that he removed buggy 178 from oficial site
    I wan't to say that I compile kernel for stock 6.0.1 beta already. Coming soon...
    I did it! No dancing CPUs, only CPU0+CPU1 online, no CPU0+CPU2 or CPU0+CPU3 anymore. Evening I will upload new version. But I not see that draining battery became lower