Screenshot_2015-06-01-21-15-30.jpg
Page4:
Screenshot_2015-06-01-21-15-35.jpg
Page5:
Screenshot_2015-06-01-21-15-39.jpg
App Screen:
Screenshot_2015-06-02-22-37-51.jpg

Codecrusher's black theme...and settings
(I don't have the time to write all instructions at once so please be patient, I'll update this post during the day.)
[My english is very rusty. If you want to suggest improvements and corrections drop me a PM]
If you want your zenfone 2 to look the same as mine you have to change a significant amount of things.
Some changes requires root or particular extensions but nothing is mandatory and you may decide to follow only some steps of my instructions.
From what I've read and from my experience steps 1-2-3-4-5-6 will not have any significant impact on battery life or performance while steps 7-8-9 (which are related not only to appearance) should improve your battery life.
So....assuming that you begin with your stock Asus Theme....let's start! :D

1.Set Wallpaper
Wallpaper Link (credits to TOBIAS ROETSCH)
In order to simplify the process, I suggest to apply it from the Asus Homescreen>>Long tap on empty space >> wallpaper >> Home and lockscreen.
PS As you can see in my screenshots, my wallpaper is slightly different from the one available on the link and this is because I've added a little of stars on top and a little of dark on the bottom. I'm not posting my version because I'm waiting for the authorization of the autor but my work is only a little of raw copy and paste...

2.Change DPI
This smartphone has a beautiful and wide screen but the icons and the status bar were way too big for me...it looked like a toy with big buttons and magnified textboxes..
First install ADB (there are plenty of installing guide on the net. If you don't have time to read all that stuffs I've found an installer here on XDA but I didn't tried it before, let me know if it works good ADB installer link).
Then follow this guide and change DPI (it uses ADB): http://xdaforums.com/zenfone2/general/tip-adjusting-dpi-root-t3098690
I suggest to try with DPI between 360 and 400 (default is around 480). Mine is 380.
Give it a try, for me this is the most important change for a better aspect of our Zenfone. If you are not happy it is completely and easily reversible as explained in the second guide.
PS Be aware that a few apps show some strange behavior with custom DPI. Known issues:
-some third party keyboards show bigger and unusable keys [The stock Android and Asus keyboards work fine]
-Whatsapp cannot cut images before sending it [but I cut them before with the editor of the gallery].

3.CHANGE LAUNCHER
You can also continue without substituting launcher but then you will not be able neither to change all your icons nor to perfectly stretch your widgets.
I didn't want to change launcher but in the end I was forced to install an otherone for 2 main reasons:
- with the stock launcher you are not allowed to change all icons (even with the preinstalled Asus app).
- with the stock launcher you cannot manage the grid of homescreen where you put widgets
I've installed Nova Launcher.

4.ICON PACK
The icon pack I'm using is called "flight" (or "Volo") and it's available on the play store.
I've bought the complete version but the free version does perfectly its job.
Apply the theme and then manually change all the icons that were not automatically replaced (if the icon of your app is not available choose one you like from the hundreds of icons available).

PS I've used "flight icon pack" but there are a lot of black and white minimal icon pack available on the play store....just look for "black and white icon pack" or similar.
Just some hints:
- white icons whit round background >> "Gel - Icon Pack"
- minimal white icons >> "Min - Icon Pack"

[coming soon]

5.WIDGETS
First screen: no widget, only icons.
Second screen: Jack's music widget. (I've tried Universal Music Widget but it crashes all the time)
Third screen: Stock Asus Meteo Widget
Forth screen: Simple Calendar Widget (it is fully customizable and I'm working to get an even better look.)
Fifth screen: no widget, only icons.

If you have patience and time and want to produce similar widgets you will also like "zooper" or "minimalistic text" (available on the play store).
[coming soon]

6.ORGANIZATION
[coming soon]

7.[root required]EXTENSIONS
I've used extensions to:
-remove battery icon from statusbar
-add network speed information on statusbar
-add seconds to the clock on the statusbar
-add a download bar integrated on top of the statusbar
-add useful buttons and features to the power menu
-improve battery performance
[coming soon]

8.[root required]GESTURES
With the use of a third party launcher you will loose the double tap to sleep feature but not the double tap to wake.
I've used third party gestures software in order to restore this features and add other useful gestures.
[coming soon]

9.OTHER
-change whatsapp background with this one (open a chat in WA and then options>>background)
[coming soon]

Attachments

• wabackground.png
    wabackground.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 2,618
Last edited:

codecrusher

May 11, 2015
Ok!
It's not a "real theme" because I've modified dpi, changed the aspect of the status bar and other things that one cannot change with a simple "theme".
I'm going to edit my first post and add instructions. Follow all the steps and you will get the same results.

codecrusher

May 11, 2015
yes den u need to use status bar to make it sleep

The double tap to wake is always available.
The double tap to sleep can be restored using Nova Launcher itself (double tap on status bar or double tap on home button if associated to greenify) or any other gestures third party app. However I'll write down all the different workarounds I've found... ;)

Last edited:

codecrusher

May 11, 2015
I've seen 2 interesting xposed modules that can change the icons and the grid on home.
I'm going to test them. If they work there is no need to change the stock launcher.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Lock Screen:
    Screenshot_2015-06-02-22-38-05.jpg
    Page1:
    Screenshot_2015-06-01-21-15-18.jpg
    Page2:
    Screenshot_2015-06-01-21-15-24.jpg
    Page3:
    Screenshot_2015-06-01-21-15-30.jpg
    Page4:
    Screenshot_2015-06-01-21-15-35.jpg
    Page5:
    Screenshot_2015-06-01-21-15-39.jpg
    App Screen:
    Screenshot_2015-06-02-22-37-51.jpg

Codecrusher's black theme...and settings
    (I don't have the time to write all instructions at once so please be patient, I'll update this post during the day.)
    [My english is very rusty. If you want to suggest improvements and corrections drop me a PM]
    If you want your zenfone 2 to look the same as mine you have to change a significant amount of things.
    Some changes requires root or particular extensions but nothing is mandatory and you may decide to follow only some steps of my instructions.
    From what I've read and from my experience steps 1-2-3-4-5-6 will not have any significant impact on battery life or performance while steps 7-8-9 (which are related not only to appearance) should improve your battery life.
    So....assuming that you begin with your stock Asus Theme....let's start! :D

1.Set Wallpaper
    Wallpaper Link (credits to TOBIAS ROETSCH)
    In order to simplify the process, I suggest to apply it from the Asus Homescreen>>Long tap on empty space >> wallpaper >> Home and lockscreen.
    PS As you can see in my screenshots, my wallpaper is slightly different from the one available on the link and this is because I've added a little of stars on top and a little of dark on the bottom. I'm not posting my version because I'm waiting for the authorization of the autor but my work is only a little of raw copy and paste...

2.Change DPI
    This smartphone has a beautiful and wide screen but the icons and the status bar were way too big for me...it looked like a toy with big buttons and magnified textboxes..
    First install ADB (there are plenty of installing guide on the net. If you don't have time to read all that stuffs I've found an installer here on XDA but I didn't tried it before, let me know if it works good ADB installer link).
    Then follow this guide and change DPI (it uses ADB): http://xdaforums.com/zenfone2/general/tip-adjusting-dpi-root-t3098690
    I suggest to try with DPI between 360 and 400 (default is around 480). Mine is 380.
    Give it a try, for me this is the most important change for a better aspect of our Zenfone. If you are not happy it is completely and easily reversible as explained in the second guide.
    PS Be aware that a few apps show some strange behavior with custom DPI. Known issues:
    -some third party keyboards show bigger and unusable keys [The stock Android and Asus keyboards work fine]
    -Whatsapp cannot cut images before sending it [but I cut them before with the editor of the gallery].

3.CHANGE LAUNCHER
    You can also continue without substituting launcher but then you will not be able neither to change all your icons nor to perfectly stretch your widgets.
    I didn't want to change launcher but in the end I was forced to install an otherone for 2 main reasons:
    - with the stock launcher you are not allowed to change all icons (even with the preinstalled Asus app).
    - with the stock launcher you cannot manage the grid of homescreen where you put widgets
    I've installed Nova Launcher.

4.ICON PACK
    The icon pack I'm using is called "flight" (or "Volo") and it's available on the play store.
    I've bought the complete version but the free version does perfectly its job.
    Apply the theme and then manually change all the icons that were not automatically replaced (if the icon of your app is not available choose one you like from the hundreds of icons available).

PS I've used "flight icon pack" but there are a lot of black and white minimal icon pack available on the play store....just look for "black and white icon pack" or similar.
    Just some hints:
    - white icons whit round background >> "Gel - Icon Pack"
    - minimal white icons >> "Min - Icon Pack"

[coming soon]

5.WIDGETS
    First screen: no widget, only icons.
    Second screen: Jack's music widget. (I've tried Universal Music Widget but it crashes all the time)
    Third screen: Stock Asus Meteo Widget
    Forth screen: Simple Calendar Widget (it is fully customizable and I'm working to get an even better look.)
    Fifth screen: no widget, only icons.

If you have patience and time and want to produce similar widgets you will also like "zooper" or "minimalistic text" (available on the play store).
    [coming soon]

6.ORGANIZATION
    [coming soon]

7.[root required]EXTENSIONS
    I've used extensions to:
    -remove battery icon from statusbar
    -add network speed information on statusbar
    -add seconds to the clock on the statusbar
    -add a download bar integrated on top of the statusbar
    -add useful buttons and features to the power menu
    -improve battery performance
    [coming soon]

8.[root required]GESTURES
    With the use of a third party launcher you will loose the double tap to sleep feature but not the double tap to wake.
    I've used third party gestures software in order to restore this features and add other useful gestures.
    [coming soon]

9.OTHER
    -change whatsapp background with this one (open a chat in WA and then options>>background)
    [coming soon]