Z981 New update

Search This thread
Z981 for T-Mobile has a new update and it seems to fix some screen tearing issues. Update seems to add some stability too.

Any one else running this update?
Thoughts?
:confused:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161125-115534-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_20161125-115534-01.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 4,204
Reactions: Smokie6980
Just found out that you can unlock the bootloader with this update by tapping the build number 3 times.
Then developer options can be enabled.
Then OEM unlocking can be enabled.

What does this do for us guys?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161125-120912-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_20161125-120912-01.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 3,230
  • Screenshot_20161125-120920-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_20161125-120920-01.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 3,175
  • Screenshot_20161125-121310-01.jpg
    Screenshot_20161125-121310-01.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 3,077
Reactions: MECHANIC_MIKE

rbraswell8

Apr 22, 2011
Gainesville, GA
It updated for me this morning, and I have yet to see much of a difference. Then again, I've been doing housework all day and haven't messed with the phone today.

Did some looking, the update was just the November security patch.

Last edited:
Reactions: memebot

chopper the dog

Oct 17, 2008
The blood bath known as Chicago IL.
The bootloader unlock option was there before the recent update. You need to find the tmo folks on tinder and snuggle with them to get those tools to actually use that option.

Been 24hrs since I updated and have hammered device with no sight of the "Tetris stack" glitches. So on top of the security patch there must've been a kernel / graphic driver update.

good day.

Aug 16, 2009
Portland, OR
The Metro variant just got an update too. Added a few features and included a few bug fixes. Haven't had time to really test drive it but it seems to be stabler, no screen bugs or data drops yet.

Edit: The Metro update also let us get into recovery now but nobody's had time to play with it much yet. So far we've got recovery, FTM mode, and safe mode, I think.

Last edited:
The Metro variant just got an update too. Added a few features and included a few bug fixes. Haven't had time to really test drive it but it seems to be stabler, no screen bugs or data drops yet.

Edit: The Metro update also let us get into recovery now but nobody's had time to play with it much yet. So far we've got recovery, FTM mode, and safe mode, I think.

Well now! This is a horse of a different color! ????

asianrocker

Jun 11, 2009

Yes the metro update actually fix my screen flicker. I tested minecraft that has screen flicker many many times while playing it. After the update, I played it again and no flickers so I am really happy about it.

AS for recovery, FTM mode, and safe mode - I had all those even before the update, actually.

Reactions: memebot and 5318008

Aug 16, 2009
Portland, OR
Yes the metro update actually fix my screen flicker. I tested minecraft that has screen flicker many many times while playing it. After the update, I played it again and no flickers so I am really happy about it.

AS for recovery, FTM mode, and safe mode - I had all those even before the update, actually.

Yeah, sorry about that, hope I didn't get anyone's hopes up. I was reporting what someone else had said they noticed but it was the same stuff we'd had access to before.

Sep 9, 2013
Hi does anyone has the T-Mobile Update.zip?

For some reason I haven't received the update where I am right now for my T-Mobile variant. Can anyone upload the update.zip and share it? I look everywhere I could and people have only uploaded the MetroPCS versions. This is the version I need TMO_Z981V1.0.0B07 I'm already on the previous one. Thanks ?

Aug 16, 2009
Portland, OR
The Metro update was uploaded there but I don't think anyone has uploaded the T-Mobile update. I think they both got pulled temporarily because while some phones with issues were working better, some other phones without issues were doing worse after updating.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Sep 9, 2013
You might check in this thread
[/url]

Thanks, the site is under maintenance, but it wasn't uploaded there, it was one of the threads I looked thru.

---------- Post added at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 AM ----------

The Metro update was uploaded there but I don't think anyone has uploaded the T-Mobile update. I think they both got pulled temporarily because while some phones with issues were working better, some other phones without issues were doing worse after updating.

Yes, that's what I thought after I read in one thread that MetroPCS pulled the update. Waiting a bit doesn't kills? Feels great to be back in XDA again. I usually use XDA for learning and reference, I only have a couple of post but been around for awhile.

moxlon69

Jul 19, 2010
Bay City, MI
My z981's mfg date was October 2016, T-Mobile variant, I picked it up December 10th, when I realised my Nexus 5 was unsalvageable. I assume the update was pulled, as I am on 0B04, one page on T-Mobile's site says the update was set for a staged release between the 21st of November through the 19th of December, another page doesn't even show this phone amongst their active or testing updates..
If I receive an update notification, I'll pull the file, but I probably won't flash it myself.

Dan

My z981's mfg date was October 2016, T-Mobile variant, I picked it up December 10th, when I realised my Nexus 5 was unsalvageable. I assume the update was pulled, as I am on 0B04, one page on T-Mobile's site says the update was set for a staged release between the 21st of November through the 19th of December, another page doesn't even show this phone amongst their active or testing updates..
If I receive an update notification, I'll pull the file, but I probably won't flash it myself.

Dan

I just went into the settings and found the software update and bam there it was. It's a really stable update. And after disabling every app I could the phone runs like a dream.

Reactions: moxlon69

moxlon69

Jul 19, 2010
Bay City, MI
I just went into the settings and found the software update and bam there it was. It's a really stable update. And after disabling every app I could the phone runs like a dream.

Nice. The update never showed up on my device. I may reset it just to see, but I'm not concerned. I replaced the launcher from the start, disabled a couple of apps, but the phone works well enough for me as is. I mostly read and listen to music, so nothing demanding.

Still, a nougat update with an unlocked bootloader/fastboot would be a great gift from ZTE lol.

[edit] I backed up my music and files, and reset the phone, still no update. I won't worry about it 'till people start receiving the 'next' update, or root is achieved and someone makes a custom kernel/rom.

Last edited:

moxlon69

Jul 19, 2010
Bay City, MI
Anyone try charging this phone with a Qualcomm Quick charger 3.0?

:confused:

I don't personally own one, the default charger works well enough for me so far, though the phone supposedly charges significantly faster while off. I haven't tested this myself, but if it turns out to be true, I'd assume the kernel limits charging, which wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The bootloader unlock option was there before the recent update. You need to find the tmo folks on tinder and snuggle with them to get those tools to actually use that option.

Been 24hrs since I updated and have hammered device with no sight of the "Tetris stack" glitches. So on top of the security patch there must've been a kernel / graphic driver update.

good day.

Yeah, sorry about that, hope I didn't get anyone's hopes up. I was reporting what someone else had said they noticed but it was the same stuff we'd had access to before.
    If you unlock it for use on another network you still get the updates that are appropriate for your model of Zmax Pro.

Excellent, but based on what I had read in other places, I was not positive whether the updates were pushed by T-Mobile or ZTE.
    I have talked to T-Mobile and to ZTE multiple times, they BOTH claim the other rolls out the update lol, how do I check my devices creation date for imei check

Mine doesn't show the mfg date in the phone, it was on the box, I 'assume' the label date is the IMEI date, in my case 10/13/2016

---------- Post added at 04:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 AM ----------

Does anyone have a pic of the diagram for a are zmax pro z981? My charger was accidentally ran over be my computer chair so the connector part that connects to the phone was smashed! So now I'm trying to rig it so I can charge it but I'm not sure which pins are the ones! The closest place to buy a new charger cable is a hour drive away and I don't have a vehicle!

I don't recommend attempting it, but the USB-C pinout is available online. Since the stock cable is type a to type c it probably has less wires, but the type C end would be hard to work with. I'd rather check at a gas station or order a cable online than risk it, I don't have the gear or patience to work with solder joints this small.

Type C pinout

Hope this helps.