FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[RECOVERY] Un-Official 2.8.7.0 TWRP Recovery for ZUK Z1 by Breadcrust

128 posts
Thanks Meter: 142

By Breadcrust, Senior Member on 5th October 2015, 05:54 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from Breadcrust: The first ZUK Z1 recovery platform! Alive and kicking again just to annoy you guys!
Title
Confirmed working with:
Exodus for ZUK Z1 5.1.1.
MOKEE CM Nightly 5.1.1.
Cyanogen OS OTAs thanks to @EagleEyedTom

Quote:

/*
* Your warranty is now void.
* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards and so on. YOU are choosing to make these modifications.
* Bug reports or confirmation of working things are welcome.
*/

DO NOT USE ON AN ENCRYPTED FILE SYSTEM
For some reason I can't get my image to decrypt encrypted file systems. I lost all my data to this issue and at the moment I do not know of a fix. If you need to update or modify and encrypted partition you will have to back up EVERYTHING in your data partition and then do a complete wipe. Sorry.

This image has been recompiled with device checking disabled thank you to @TheCrazyLex for making the new .prop for the international variant.

Please note this image was compiled for the chinese variant of the ZUK Z1 it should work with the international version but zip flashing might not work properly due to device IDs. To flash zips with device specific build.props comment out all the device checks

There is a known issue with this where it will fill the log with "E: A render request has failed". I do not believe this stops the recovery from working and I will be looking into the issue. If you notice any bugs please report them below.

Title 2

Q: Does this work for ZUI devices? A: No, I don't think so. You're welcome to test it and report back but so far I have only tested it with Cyanogen OS
Q: What can I get with this I can't with Cyanogen OS Recovery? A: You can flash unsigned ZIPs such as SuperSU or Xposed (Although I don't recommend doing this as I put my phone into a bootloop installing Xposed)

Title 3

First off you are going to need ADB and Fastboot, these can be aquired by downloading THIS for your OS, you do not need Android Studio you only need SDK tools. Once installed open Android SDK Manager and download platform-tools. You can untick everything else.

Now here is the tricky part, the part I had issues with. If you have a ZUI device you can install the ShenQi USB driver which is located on a partition of your phone which should mount as a CD when connected via USB, if you're running Cyanogen OS and your phone isn't mounted properly in Device Manager (Windows) then you can use the Google USB Driver ZIP, if it will not let you. Say for example if returns an error claiming the best driver is already installed. Then open the spoiler below if not continue on.

If Windows is giving you an error claiming the best driver is already installed right click Z1 or whatever it is named in Device Manager and click Update Driver.

Then click "Browse my computer for driver software" then click "Have disk" once you have done this browse to the extracted USB driver and open the .inf file it will show you three options select ADB device (Top one). Click yes to any warning and it should be mounted!

Next step is to check your device is mounted for ADB, open CMD and CD to the platform-tools folder in your Android SDK directory. Then type

Code:
adb devices
It will start the ADB Deamon and it should show your phone. If not, then it's probably because you haven't enabled ADB in Android, do this by going into Settings>About Phone and spam pressing build number until it says you are a developer. Then go back and in Developer Options enable ADB, you should get an RSA Authentication prompt on your phone. Click yes and type.

Code:
adb devices
You will also need to download the TWRP image from the spoiler below.

Title 4

DON'T DOWNLOAD THESE IMAGES FROM ANYWHERE OTHER THAN ANDROID FILE HOST FROM ME WITH MATCHING MD5 SUMS. I AM AWARE SOMEONE HAS RE-UPLOADED MY IMAGES

Android File Host for Z1 TWRP V2.1 - DOWNLOAD LINK
Android File Host MD5 for Z1 TWRP V2.1 - d5fa8f50144316647b35af4a92a61ab9 - Has all currently reported bugs fixed!

Android File Host for Z1 TWRP V2.0 - DOWNLOAD LINK
Android File Host MD5 for V2.0 = 6226173f5cb17bc7b4ab67ac55efdbbb
- Now uses Chroma Kernel to run, reduces heat output, fixes audio bug issues, fixes battery drain, and fixes brightness inside TWRP. Added new splash screen.

Android File Host for Z1 TWRP V1.3 - DOWNLOAD LINK
Android File Host MD5 for V1.3 = eaf29b2653a53d120146d1cedcb1e372p
- Added support for both ZUK Z1 variants, international and Chinese.

Android File Host for Z1 TWRP V1.2 - DOWNLOAD LINK
Android File Host MD5 for V1.2 = 3b6fa140737b769f838169e997f58975
- Retired due to limited device compatability

Android File Host for Z1 TWRP V1.1 - DOWNLOAD LINK
Android File Host MD5 for V1.1 = 596816b87a45d78bed4063ac62fac137 - Compiling issue, uploaded without thorough test.

Android File Host for Z1 TWRP V1.0 - DOWNLOAD LINK
Android File Host MD5 for V1.0 = 62b72d5129591d6759bb1917868594f4
- Outdated, filled with bugs.

If you have all the files downloaded and your phone has appeared in ADB then you are ready to flash!

Title 5

Type:

Code:
adb reboot bootloader
You phone should reboot and boot into bootloader mode. Now because the ZUK Z1 isn't recognised as a fastboot device you will have to specify the OEM id. It is 0x2b4c meaning any fastboot command MUST be suffixed with
Code:
-i 0x2b4c

Next you need to check if the bootloader is unlocked, if you followed the "Convert Z1 from ZukUI to Cyanogen OS" guide HERE then it should already be unlocked.

To check type:
Code:
fastboot -i 0x2b4c oem get-device-info
If it returns:

Quote:

(bootloader) Device unlocked: true

Then you are ready to begin the flashing process.

Move the downloaded file to your platform tools folder and type:

Code:
fastboot -i 0x2b4c flash recovery z1.twrp.2.8.7.0.By.Breadcrust-UPDATE1.img
If fastboot returns "OKAY" then you can reboot your phone! To get into recovery and begin flashing ZIPs turn off your phone and then turn it back on. When it vibrates press and hold both Volume Up AND Volume Down until it boots into TWRP.

Special thanks to Anas Khan who made these awesome titles!

XDA:DevDB Information
Un-Official Breadcrust's TWRP 2.8.7.0 Recovery for ZUK Z1, ROM for the Lenovo Zuk Z1

Contributors
Breadcrust, TheCrazyLex
ROM OS Version: 5.1.x Lollipop
ROM Firmware Required: ZUK Z1
Based On: TWRP

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 2.0
Stable Release Date: 2015-11-09

Created 2015-11-11
Last Updated 2016-01-17
The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to Breadcrust For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Breadcrust Ad-Free
5th October 2015, 05:55 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bolton

Donate to Me
More
Demo
https://youtu.be/z5U5QIEbWtI

Change Log

Version 2.0: TWRP image is now running with the Chroma Kernel as it's kernel. Reduces heat output and battery consumption of the device, added a new splashscreen too.

Version 1.3: Fixed zips not flashing on the international variant due to mismatched .prop files.

Version 1.2: Fixed version 1.1's compilation error causing it not to flash to recovery partition properly, could only be used tethered to PC.

Version 1.1: Fixed E: A render request has failed which was caused by a miss-written UI XML

Version 1.0: First working version of TWRP for Z1

Please be aware if you are running the official Cyanogen OS image OTAs will not apply automatically, you will need to install the incremental ZIPs posted by Titokhan in the "How to root ZUK Z1" thread in the Help and Troubleshooting forum. They will be on your device if you have downloaded the system update but I am yet to find this directory. If anyone finds the download location please post below and test if they will apply.

I am very aware you can't install OTA updates due to the device ID mismatching. I just posted a solution in the Android Development thread HERE credit to Radii for helping me out while working on this with him. Drop us a thanks for our hard work? Means a lot to use you know Each one counts!
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Breadcrust For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Breadcrust Ad-Free
7th October 2015, 02:27 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 134

More
Mad props for this!

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 2 mit Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Klanac89 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Klanac89 Ad-Free
8th October 2015, 09:06 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Hi Breadcrust, thanks for your wonderful work.
One doubt regarding Android 6.0 update, i saw a post on Internet about ZUK Z1 getting Marshmallow update and many users confirming it.
here is the link to this post explaining about updating procedure...http://apkmod4dl.com/howt-to/lenovo-zuk-z1.html

Can you confirm that it is working ? is Android 6.0 available for ZUK that soon ?
My ZUK is on my way, i am super excited to try new update with your recovery... Pls confirm it. Thanks in advance.
8th October 2015, 12:27 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bolton

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by plikmuny

Hi Breadcrust, thanks for your wonderful work.
One doubt regarding Android 6.0 update, i saw a post on Internet about ZUK Z1 getting Marshmallow update and many users confirming it.
here is the link to this post explaining about updating procedure...http://apkmod4dl.com/howt-to/lenovo-zuk-z1.html

Can you confirm that it is working ? is Android 6.0 available for ZUK that soon ?
My ZUK is on my way, i am super excited to try new update with your recovery... Pls confirm it. Thanks in advance.

I'll be honest that post looks like a load of bollocks. The Android 6.0 source hasn't been released yet. Wait for Cyanogen 13 don't jump the gun and brick your phone.

Sent from my Z1 using Tapatalk
8th October 2015, 01:09 PM |#6  
Flag Poznan
Thanks Meter: 6

More
This recovery is useless

Cannot flash ZIP with CyanogenMod:

cm-12.1-YOG4PAS2WM-ham-signed.zip

Error appears.
8th October 2015, 01:12 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bolton

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalOne

This recovery is useless

Cannot flash ZIP with CyanogenMod:

cm-12.1-YOG4PAS2WM-ham-signed.zip

Error appears.

Worked for everyone else mate. You can't flash incremental OTAs over ZUI ROMs

It would also help if you told me the error instead of just saying it doesn't work. Especially considering other people have no issues.

8th October 2015, 01:38 PM |#8  
Flag Poznan
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Ah. Thanks for info.

But me and many people need TWRP that will flash CyanogenMod ZIPs. Because it will make flashing ROMs faster. I have way to flash CM to chinsese ZUI Z1 but if you made TWRP that flashes the CM ZIPs it will all be faster.
8th October 2015, 01:58 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bolton

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Ah. Thanks for info.

But me and many people need TWRP that will flash CyanogenMod ZIPs. Because it will make flashing ROMs faster. I have way to flash CM to chinsese ZUI Z1 but if you made TWRP that flashes the CM ZIPs it will all be faster.

It will flash any ZIP just like any other TWRP it has not been modified in any way. If it will not flash I think there is an error with the ZIP or its user error
Quote:

Ah. Thanks for info.

8th October 2015, 04:44 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Android 6.0 source code is released 2 days back already. source: cnx/software.com
i think it takes more time for CM 13 Rom for ZUK Z1...
8th October 2015, 05:23 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bolton

Donate to Me
More
I found that out off my Dad when I got home, looks dodgy though.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)