Installing TWRP without unlocking bootloader ?

Search This thread

lzanoni

Jan 26, 2016
I've seen that on Lenovo P8 tablet, it's possible to install a special version of TWRP using QFil, without unlokcing bootloader first.

Any idea if this could be achieved too for Z2 Pro ?
Maybe by tweaking some QPST files to use the TWRP recovery instead of stock ?
Would be great to restore stock 1.9, install TWRP, and still keep the OTA updates, even after magisk :)

Reactions: polizoistt

DrTahseen

Nov 19, 2017
Yes. It is possible. Copy the twrp in the Phone storage.

Now in ADB,
Jus boot TWRP & install the twrp file stored in the phone.

I tried flashing twrp through fastboot. It didn't work.
But the above method is easy & will definitely work.

The above method worked for me. I am running 2.5.462 with custom twrp. No root & without unlocking bootloader.

irha

Nov 18, 2010

Now in ADB,

The above method worked for me. I am running 2.5.462 with custom twrp. No root & without unlocking bootloader.

What is the advantage of installing TWRP without root? I am currently looking to transfer Google Authenticator accounts (I have too many) from my Z2 Plus (ZUK Z2) to a newer phone. It seems that I need access to root to get to the underlying db and extract secrets so that I can add them back on the new phone. The normal process get to root involves first unlocking bootloader and I believe that will end up doing a reset. I tried taking a adb backup of com.google.android.apps.authenticator2, but I get an empty file that doesn't include any data. Is there a way to elevate the privileges just enough to get access to the Authenticator data? Can TWRP help in this regard?

Ricardoqueiroz

Jan 17, 2015

Now in ADB,

Could you please make a step by step? I can't unlock bootloader of my z2 pro bc I get the email without the img file no matter what I do. Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've seen that on Lenovo P8 tablet, it's possible to install a special version of TWRP using QFil, without unlokcing bootloader first.

Any idea if this could be achieved too for Z2 Pro ?
    Maybe by tweaking some QPST files to use the TWRP recovery instead of stock ?
    Would be great to restore stock 1.9, install TWRP, and still keep the OTA updates, even after magisk :)